|Originally posted by Cindy W.
I think I mentioned it in my original post, but, my computer guy and I ran Ad-Aware (didn't get rid of the problem, but, eliminated a lot of other bad junk) and then we discovered Spybot S&D. That got rid of the IGetNet/Search Results.net hijack. I wasn't aware of the HiJack This program at that time.
I was going to download HiJack This earlier this morning, but, it is in a zip file, and I don't know how to download it to my computer. Any ideas for me there? I don't think I have ever downloaded a zip file before (not too terribly computer literate, as you can tell!) If you can tell me how to download it, I would be ever so appreciative!
No problem Cindy... nobody learns it all in one day. You can download Winzip here: http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.ht...zip&tg=dl-2001
Once you install it, run Ad-aware and Spybot S&D because Winzip used to have some spyware, but Ad-aware will remove it. -sounds strange, but it's possible that they don't have it anymore. I've been using Winzip for years.
To unzip Hijack This:
1. First download the program to your desktop or folder where you usually download to.
2. Go to your desktop of folder and right-click on the Hijack This icon. You'll see a dropdown list.
3. Left-click on the option that says, "Extract to folder C:\\Windows\\whatever\\whatever\\etc." It will extract the program.
4. If you don't already have the window open to the folder you extracted to, go to it now.
5. Look for the folder called Hijack This. Open the folder.
6. Double-click on Hijack This.exe to run the program.
7. Click on "Scan" to find the junk.
8. Remember that not everything listed will be spyware.
If you have any problems feel free to email me or post again.