or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Canned food without Carrageenan or Guar Gum?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Canned food without Carrageenan or Guar Gum?

post #1 of 70
Thread Starter 

These cause loose stool/gas I'm my cat. He loves his AM canned food, but it is almost impossible to find canned food with out one or the other.

post #2 of 70

Hi, Lovecat!

 

Nature's Logic canned food products have none of the usual additives in their foods, and no synthetic vitamins or minerals either, so you might give them a try. Or you could feed any of the commercial raw foods - none of them have any of these type additives (mostly because carrageenan and guar gum are there just to change the consistency of the food and have no nutritional benefits) and most have no additives at all.

 

Good luck!!

 

AC

post #3 of 70
post #4 of 70

My 8 month old kitten seems to have the same issues with carrageenan and guar gum (and also foods with a lot of fish).  Here are the canned foods I've found that do not have carrageenan or guar gum:

 

 

Nature's Logic - All canned formulas

Nature's Variety - All "Instinct" formulas

 

Fromm "Four Star" Grain-Free

 

Newman's Own Organics Grain-Free Canned Cat Food - All "grain-free" varieties

Note: The "Newman's Own Organics" non grain-free formulas DO have both carrageenan and guar gum

 

Tiki Cat (select formulas):

Hawaiian Grill (Ahi Tuna)
Puka Puka Luau (Chicken in Chicken Consomme)
Koolina Luau (Chicken w/ Egg in Chicken Consomme)
Hanalei Luau (Wild Salmon in Salmon Consomme)
Napili Luau (Wild Salmon & Chicken in Chicken Consomme)
Hookena Luau (Ahi Tuna & Chicken in Chicken Consomme)
Papeekeo Luau (Ahi Tuna & Mackerel in Tuna Consomme)
Manana Luau (Ahí Tuna w/ Tiger Prawns in Tuna Consomme)
Hana Luau (Ahi Tuna w/ Crab in Tuna Consomme)

post #5 of 70
Hard to find - most do contain Guar gum and/or Carrageenan.. but they are out there.

To add to the above recommendations...

the Weruva - Cat's In The Kitchen pouches - do not contain either.
post #6 of 70
Bumping this up so as not to divert discussion in someone else's thread. smile.gif
post #7 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarcatmom View Post

 

These likely all have guar gum in them though (haven't checked). Are you sure it's the carrageenan and/or guar gum that's the problem and not some other common ingredient? Either way, AC's recommendation to go raw would be the best option.

Weruva does not use guar gum.

 

Whether carrageenan and guar gum are the culprits or not, they should both be avoided anyway. Carrageenan is a carcinogen and guar gum is a plant cats have no use for.

 

Raw food is good for many reasons, not just the poop.

post #8 of 70

Sub Thread to Carrageenan...

Can you guys help me compile a list of carrageenan free wet cat food...? I had never known the risks to carrageenan (the recent thread about it is the first I've heard).
I don't know about you guys but its making me frustrated as to what foods are ok to feed my cat. I get why people switch to raw in these situations... arg!
post #9 of 70
post #10 of 70
Thank you yet again Carolina. I don't like all the veggies in Spots Stew but I'm thinking that's better then A. Dehydration and B. carrageenan!
Has anyone tried Spots Stew wet cat food?
post #11 of 70
threadsmergednotice.gif
post #12 of 70

Wellness Healthy Indulgence Recipes don't have carrageenan but they do have guar gum. (These are pouches not cans.)

 

jlc20m kitty.gif

post #13 of 70

Weruva Cats In The Kitchen (as mentioned above catman.gif) do not contain carrageenan or guar gum.

post #14 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylover23 View Post

Weruva Cats In The Kitchen (as mentioned above catman.gif) do not contain carrageenan or guar gum.

good to know. ty! :)

 

jlc20m

post #15 of 70
This weekend I will be heading to our local stores and shopping for the brands mentioned. I know I have access to the canned Wellness but I don't know about pouches (is there a huge price difference?) and I know I can find Spots Stew at PetSmart. I'll also look into the Tiki Cat chicken formulas and see if they have them or just the fish (which I can use because my cat throws up fish).... but someone from Ontario said that the chicken formulas will definitely be in Canada in December so I will look into that as well.
Does Fancy Feast have carrgeenan?
post #16 of 70

I just picked up a few cans of Great Life Essentials at my local pet store today - I hadn't heard of it before but it's grain and potato free, and it does not contain carrageenan, though it does contain guar gum. This was for the WESTERN MEDLEY flavor (beef / buffalo). I don't know if it's the same for all flavors or not. It DOES have fruit in it, though, so I'm not sure what the carb content is on it? My cat liked it anyway. Also the can says that the beef is free range.

 

http://www.wholelifepets.com/Great-Life-Canned-Cat-Food-p/gl060.htm

 

Personally some of the cans I get have carrageenan in them, though lower down on the ingredient list, and others don't so I figure if I am rotating cans then my cat should not be getting too much of it in any given week.

post #17 of 70
Ok so-- the lesser of two evils between guar gum and carrageenan is definitely guar gum. How do you feed foods without carrageenan? From what I've seen Fancy Feast doesn't have carrageenan BUT who knows where they source their meat and they are Purina (bad recall history). Found a food my cat LOVES (Merrick Turducken) and it has carrageenan. Wellness also has carrageenan. Natures Variety Instinct doesn't have carrageenan but it has the clay and it is also VERY pricey here.
How high is the risk of carrageenan causing (or provoking) cancer?? Would it be safer to feed Fancy Feast (blech)? I have read all of the suggestions for carrageenan free canned foods but they are either much to expensive or my cat hates them!! I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall.
I would LOVE to try raw but I am scared A. I will screw it up and not give him enough (or too much) of something B. I will, yet again, exacerbate his constipation issues (to give a quick explanation-- he has had constipation since I adopted him 2.5 years ago. I mean constipation to the point that he bled every time he had a BM) C. The pathogens/bacterias (I have two young kids and one who still puts everything in her mouth...
IM GOING CRAZY, NEED ADVICE!!!!
post #18 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebo View Post

I would LOVE to try raw but I am scared A. I will screw it up and not give him enough (or too much) of something B. I will, yet again, exacerbate his constipation issues (to give a quick explanation-- he has had constipation since I adopted him 2.5 years ago. I mean constipation to the point that he bled every time he had a BM) C. The pathogens/bacterias (I have two young kids and one who still puts everything in her mouth...
IM GOING CRAZY, NEED ADVICE!!!!
Bluebo, there is a GREAT company of commercial raw in Canada, Called Carnivora biggthumpup.gif I SO wish they were here when I was feeding ground - their meat is great agree.gif
There is another one Natural Instict, with calcium instead of bones... also in Canada agree.gif
The constipation issues happened in the past because he was eating only chicken wings.... As we addressed it before, it was not because of "raw" per se, but because of way too much bone in his diet.
I understand you tried offering plain meat and at the time he wouldn't eat..... However now that he is eating canned food, you can transition him safely to a balanced ground raw meat, where he will do just fine agree.gif
It wouldn't happen with commercial raw as the food is balanced to the proper amount of bones agree.gif

In the event you notice constipation, it can be easily fixed by adding a little amount of ground meat into the food agree.gif
If he has a history of constipation, I wouldn't recommend Nature's Variety because it has too much bones..... But there are good brands there in Canada.....
If you want to try, we can help you with a slow transition - now it is going to be easy - and he will be safe.

Many many of us feed raw...... Kibbles has shown far more problems with bacteria - look at all the recalls for salmonella lately! Using good hygiene practices and paying attention to safe handling when preparing and serving the meat will keep your baby safe.
I will not lie, because Bugsy's immune system, I was freaking out in the beginning too..... But I tell you today it was all in my head - it is a safe diet, and a VERY healthy one.
If you need help, we will be glad to help you every way we can in the raw forum hugs.gif
EDIT: Here is Carnivora: http://www.carnivora.ca/html/featured_products/fresh_frozen_products/index.cfm
Here is Natural Instincts: http://www.naturalinstincts.ca/
post #19 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina View Post

Bluebo, there is a GREAT company of commercial raw in Canada, Called Carnivora biggthumpup.gif I SO wish they were here when I was feeding ground - their meat is great agree.gif
There is another one Natural Instict, with calcium instead of bones... also in Canada agree.gif
The constipation issues happened in the past because he was eating only chicken wings.... As we addressed it before, it was not because of "raw" per se, but because of way too much bone in his diet.
I understand you tried offering plain meat and at the time he wouldn't eat..... However now that he is eating canned food, you can transition him safely to a balanced ground raw meat, where he will do just fine agree.gif
It wouldn't happen with commercial raw as the food is balanced to the proper amount of bones agree.gif
In the event you notice constipation, it can be easily fixed by adding a little amount of ground meat into the food agree.gif
If he has a history of constipation, I wouldn't recommend Nature's Variety because it has too much bones..... But there are good brands there in Canada.....
If you want to try, we can help you with a slow transition - now it is going to be easy - and he will be safe.
Many many of us feed raw...... Kibbles has shown far more problems with bacteria - look at all the recalls for salmonella lately! Using good hygiene practices and paying attention to safe handling when preparing and serving the meat will keep your baby safe.
I will not lie, because Bugsy's immune system, I was freaking out in the beginning too..... But I tell you today it was all in my head - it is a safe diet, and a VERY healthy one.
If you need help, we will be glad to help you every way we can in the raw forum hugs.gif
EDIT: Here is Carnivora: http://www.carnivora.ca/html/featured_products/fresh_frozen_products/index.cfm
Here is Natural Instincts: http://www.naturalinstincts.ca/
I've heard of Carnivora, pretty expensive but I might just try it. This is another local company that offers quality food-- http://www.springmeadowsnaturalpetfood.com/site_map.php
I fed it to my dog at one point, the only thing is that it is bone in (kind of scares me for my cat).
Couldn't I just feed ground meat? As long as I put a good supplement in there? Could you recommend some calcium supplements? What about taurine?
post #20 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebo View Post

I've heard of Carnivora, pretty expensive but I might just try it. This is another local company that offers quality food-- http://www.springmeadowsnaturalpetfood.com/site_map.php
I fed it to my dog at one point, the only thing is that it is bone in (kind of scares me for my cat).
Couldn't I just feed ground meat? As long as I put a good supplement in there? Could you recommend some calcium supplements? What about taurine?
Can you open a thread in the raw forum and we go from there? We will help you with all the details..... That way we don't highjack this thread smile.gif
EDIT - post this link there too!!! smile.gif
post #21 of 70

So, for those of us on a budget, it seems that Natural Balance Platefulls Pouches are about the only option

if we want to avoid carrageenan, unless you want to consider Fancy Feast or Raw.

 

Am I missing any other options?  dontknow.gif

I just cannot afford to go over $1. per 6 oz of canned food.

I already pay 25 cents per ounce to give them Platefulls occasionally

because they love them and it is quick and easy for me when I get home late from a long day of work.

 

All things considered, I am already spending well over $100. per month on Kitty food...

guess we have to stick with Wellness GF, EVO 95% and By Nature 95%,

and Innova / Friskies Poultry Platter for the Ferals.

post #22 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenWonders View Post

So, for those of us on a budget, it seems that Natural Balance Platefulls Pouches are about the only option
if we want to avoid carrageenan, unless you want to consider Fancy Feast or Raw.

Am I missing any other options?  dontknow.gif
I just cannot afford to go over $1. per 6 oz of canned food.
I already pay 25 cents per ounce to give them Platefulls occasionally
because they love them and it is quick and easy for me when I get home late from a long day of work.

All things considered, I am already spending well over $100. per month on Kitty food...
guess we have to stick with Wellness GF, EVO 95% and By Nature 95%,
and Innova / Friskies Poultry Platter for the Ferals.
Isn't it annoying lol!
I would actually choose Fancy Feast over Natural Balance Platefuls only because the carb content is a lot lower in FF.
Addiction doesn't have carrageenan but it pretty pricey where I live and my cat doesnt like it (of course).
I'm waiting for Tiki cat to come to Canada before I make any decision about whether I'm switching to raw. If he liked Tiki cat I would make it a staple. He also loves Merrick (although there is carrageenan in there).
It is very difficult to find any exceptional foods nowadays!
post #23 of 70

Disappointed in all the new "high quality" reputation canned cat foods with Carrageenan. Some I'm surprised and very disappointed with:

- Evo

- Merrick's Before Grain

- Blue

- Solid Gold (Which my cats actually like, but does have fish)

- By Nature Organics (Beef and Liver)  BOTH my cats loved, A MIRACLE, but sadly has carrageenan (I just emailed them to ask why?  oh why?)

- And many more poplular ones may surprise you that I can't remember at the moment

 

And great for Weruva, but the only non-fish product they offer, my cats turned their noses up to.  (I have a "crack-fish" addicted cat that I need to detox)  so fish really isn't good.  It is like crack for cats and there are many reasons to get your cat off. This site explains the 8 strikes it gives against seafood for your addicted cat and it makes sense: http://www.catnutrition.org/faq.html

 

Mission impossible in searching is not to find these other crappy fillers:

-Brewers Dried Yeast

-What Gluten

-Soy Flour

-Rice

-Starch

-Gimmicky Vegetables my cats would never eat in nature ( what a joke to us humans)

- Nutro Natural Choice doesn't have Carrageenan, but has these crappy fillers)

- And it boggles my mind the crappy ingredients in RX foods we are feeding to our ill pets.  Don't you think quality food should be even MORE of a priority at this stage?

 

Does NOT have Carrageenan!

- Mulligan Stew (Turkey Recipe) but knowing my cats, they"ll probably hate it (trying it tomorrow)

- Party Animal Organics "Tom Cat Turkey Recipe"  one cat was okay will, not loving it, but eating. 

- (This list is currently a work-in-progress)

 

Now, please note my research is ongoing, but I used some information from reading Dr. Lisa Pierson which made me a more informed consumer when readling labels. http://www.catinfo.org/cannedfoods.php

 

And Dr. Lisa Newman's list of ingredients: http://www.naturalnews.com/Report_pet_food_ingredients_8.html

post #24 of 70
I'm actually afraid that I'm not feeding ny kitties well because of these additives, fillers, etc. But I can't feed them raw. So, I'm being a bad cat mom? Yes, it's very upsetting...

Jlc20m
post #25 of 70
Why do you say you're being a bad cat mom? You're doing research and making educated choices. If we wanted to avoid everything dangerous, we'd never step outside the house and live in some kind of weird sterile world.

FYI, homemade isn't for everyone, but homemade doesn't have to be raw.
post #26 of 70

Hi there,

 

When I looked up the Newmans organic/grain free - all varieties had both Carrageenan and Guar Gum. Just an fyi. It's so frustrating. I have 9 cats and want the best for them all, but there are only a tiny few foods without those 2 ingredients and they are all expensive considering how many I have to feed.

post #27 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecat View Post

These cause loose stool/gas I'm my cat. He loves his AM canned food, but it is almost impossible to find canned food with out one or the other.

 

all  wet food with no carneegen or guar gum
nature logic
EVO 95%
nature variety instinct
lotus                      
fromm
health extension
newmens own
artemes                    
zupreem
naturel planet organics 
post #28 of 70
post #29 of 70

Fancy Feast CLASSIC canned cat flavors do NOT contain carageenan; I'm not sure about the ones with gravy...Of this I'm positive as I refuse to feed cat food that has carageenan. 

Also watch out for any kind of Yucca, rosemary, herbs, potatoes (contain 3 cat toxins), peas & fruits & vegetables in general.

The only good vegetable that is good for cats is plain pumpkin (the kind in the can is fine, as long as it's plain - nothing else added. It's good for the runs or constipation, but give in teaspoon amounts; never overdo it)

If the first ingredient of a canned food is a "by-product", avoid it.

First ingredient should be a listed muscle meat (i.e. chicken, turkey, beef etc)

Avoid all cat food that contains corn or corn meal.

Avoid all cat food with gluten, wheat & soy.

BROWN RICE IS a grain BUT it isn't toxic and will do NO damage, so if you feed dry food, brown rice is a binder that is ok! (pea starch and potato starch or flours are NOT ok and will cause harm!)

That's just the short list of what to avoid/accept in cat food....

God help us all with what the pet food mfr's are doing to our beloved furballs! It's disgusting & all about the bottom line!

post #30 of 70
catlover1952, while I do agree with you in general, a study has shown that dietary rice reduces taurine levels in cats, so I avoid rice as well. It does seem to be the lesser of the binder evils, so if I had to feed a food with rice, I would supplement with extra taurine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Canned food without Carrageenan or Guar Gum?