Older cat stopped eating and drinking?

whiskers'smommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 12 year old female cat has stopped eating or drinking.
To make up for this, we have been giving her water and rice water with sugar. She is at times a bit lethargic, and has no trouble going to the bathroom. Solid stool and normal urine. She approaches food and water, like she wants to eat it, but then she walks away. We have taken her to a vet, she got blood work done and we are waiting on results. We have changed her food a little too much, too fast, and the vet said it could be from that.

Any opinions?
Please help.

Thanks in Advance,
A worried cat owner.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The change in food could definitely be the issue, or kitty could be beginning to suffer from acid reflux issues. If the bloodwork comes back OK, I'd ask the vet about adding 1/4 acid reflux pill to his daily regime and see if that helps.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would also check her mouth for problems with her teeth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiskers'smommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I would also check her mouth for problems with her teeth.
She has gingivitis and a cracked canine tooth.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she receiving treatment for either? Is a dental scheduled? Is the tooth going to be removed? Both of those could be a problem.

But what I "hear" is a cat that's hungry, but when faced with food, doesn't want to eat... which to me says she probably feels nauseous.

I'd talk to the vet about an acid reducer, as suggested - either that, or an anti-nausea medication. One of our cats is getting chemotherapy, and he was prescribed 1/4 of a 16mg Cerenia tablet for the nausea, and it completely turned him around re: eating.

Also...water, rice and sugar? Did the vet suggest anything else? We usually use plain boiled chicken, the broth, and white rice to help reset upset tummies. While neither is anything close to a complete diet, she probably needs the protein....

whiskers'smommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Is she receiving treatment for either? Is a dental scheduled? Is the tooth going to be removed? Both of those could be a problem.

But what I "hear" is a cat that's hungry, but when faced with food, doesn't want to eat... which to me says she probably feels nauseous.

I'd talk to the vet about an acid reducer, as suggested - either that, or an anti-nausea medication. One of our cats is getting chemotherapy, and he was prescribed 1/4 of a 16mg Cerenia tablet for the nausea, and it completely turned him around re: eating.

Also...water, rice and sugar? Did the vet suggest anything else? We usually use plain boiled chicken, the broth, and white rice to help reset upset tummies. While neither is anything close to a complete diet, she probably needs the protein....
We wanted to give her protein but we weren't sure it was kidney failure (which it is not). Her test results just came back today and everything was fine. She is about to have an ultrasound. The vet still suspects pancreatitis. Anyone have any opinions to this? I will ask the vet about the Acid Reducer or Nausea meds. And no, she has not received treatment for anything dental related.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is her gingivitis and tooth not being treated pending further diagnosis?

I have no experience with pancreatitis. Our kitty's problem was cancer. But an ultrasound might see that if that's the problem - that's how his was found. I do hope it isn't cancer.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie, it can be "just" the tooth and the mouth problem - bottom line is, if the kitty is in pain, and not treated, it is not going to eat. Gracie had the very same symptoms when she had that nasty canine.
To the OP: A cat can not be without food - you have to treat your kitty ASAP - rice water an sugar will not sustain her. A cat without food can go downhill fast... please, get her to the vet quickly to get this taken care of.
When she takes her tooth out, you will have to make sure that she eats also... are you offering her wet food? trying to mush it with water? Syringe feeding it?

Please be proactive on feeding (cat food) so your cat can get better.... and get her treated.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whiskers'sMommy

We wanted to give her protein but we weren't sure it was kidney failure (which it is not). Her test results just came back today and everything was fine. She is about to have an ultrasound. The vet still suspects pancreatitis. Anyone have any opinions to this? I will ask the vet about the Acid Reducer or Nausea meds. And no, she has not received treatment for anything dental related.
My opinion is this - the blood test came fine, and it is all good - spend the money on treating the mouth ASAP - take that tooth out and see what happens. If it was pancreatitis, chances are, something could come out on the blood test - there are blood tests you can do for that (CBC, Liver enzymes and a PLI test (the later is specific for pancreatitis)) - you do not need an ultra sound. Save the money, fix her mouth. Do what is easier now - that might hold the whole problem there.
Why does your vet want an Ultrasound? Is this your vet that you have been going to for a while? The only reason why I ask is because an US is not something that is done like that.... It is an expensive test, usually done down the road.... When other tests have been done.... and other problems have been taken care of.
What is getting to me on this situation, is that this is a very known behavior of a cat who has mouth pain, the tests are fine, and instead of taking care of a problem that is right in front of him, he is telling you to do one of the most expensive tests, that might yield no results....
I am not sure of what to think of this, to be honest.....

whiskers'smommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Is her gingivitis and tooth not being treated pending further diagnosis?

I have no experience with pancreatitis. Our kitty's problem was cancer. But an ultrasound might see that if that's the problem - that's how his was found. I do hope it isn't cancer.
Both of those are not being treated at the moment. The doctor urged us for an ultrasound, so right now, she is at the vet, awaiting the ultrasound. Details to come. The cat is also vomiting, and I'm not sure if that plays any role into the diagnosis.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure it did.

I am a little confused. The vet where the ultrasound is being done - this is the same vet that suggested the problem may be switching foods too fast? Did you already know about the gingivitis and broken tooth? Or this vet found that? Is this a vet with which you've worked before? Or does she not have a regular vet?

Maybe we should back up and you can walk us through the timeline, the problems, the tests and suggestions of vet? How things have progressed?

whiskers'smommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I'm sure it did.

I am a little confused. The vet where the ultrasound is being done - this is the same vet that suggested the problem may be switching foods too fast? Did you already know about the gingivitis and broken tooth? Or this vet found that? Is this a vet with which you've worked before? Or does she not have a regular vet?

Maybe we should back up and you can walk us through the timeline, the problems, the tests and suggestions of vet? How things have progressed?
The vet found this. The ultrasound came back and our little baby has inflammation of the small and large intestines (where they meet). We fed her Bonito Flakes which inflamed her intestines. We have gone to this vet before.
Thank you for all your help everyone! She is getting an anti-nausea shot and will be on antibiotics 2x a day. I will let you know details of her progress.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really really hope this helps your problem.... Because to me, there is something amiss here....
It has been my experience that Ultrasound can't really show inflammation of the intestines, large or small.... It shows the thickness of the walls, but this for inflammation doesn't say much - which is why it is not really used for IBD/IBS (Both inflammatory diseases. It is used to gauge motility, for constipation, for cancer, for blockage, for a whole bunch of other stuff, but for inflammation it is pretty useless - which is puzzling me - and please believe me I have plenty of experience on this an measured the need of Ultrasound very very carefully with more than one vet for my Bugsy - it would rule out things, but it would not see inflammation.

Something else: If your cat is throwing up and with the inflammation on the intestines, the very last thing you want to do is to put it on antibiotics. This can make it worst - way worst. It can finish killing the good bacteria on the gut putting her intestines even more out of balance, increasing the inflammation. Not a good plan. The only antibiotic that has an anti-inflammatory effect on the gut is Metronidazole, and it is not given for vomiting - it is given for Diarrhea. Why is she giving this antibiotic? Does she have an infection? You said CBC was normal, so no signs of infection there.... Fever? What antibiotics is she on? I hope no Clavamox with the vomiting?

The bonito flakes..... I totally see no harm whatsoever, and how that possibly could have caused this.

I really wish, with all my heart the money for this ultrasound had been put onto fixing this cat's tooth..... I had a 13 yr cat with the exact same (to the ) symptoms, and as soon as the tooth was pulled, she was as good as new. There is no forcing a cat to eat who is in pain.... but unfortunately the wrong antibiotic in a kitty with an inflamed gut can do a bunch of harm - I am dealing with a one year diarrhea/soft poop now on Bugsy because of a simple dose of Clavamox.

whiskers'smommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

I really really hope this helps your problem.... Because to me, there is something amiss here....
It has been my experience that Ultrasound can't really show inflammation of the intestines, large or small.... It shows the thickness of the walls, but this for inflammation doesn't say much - which is why it is not really used for IBD/IBS (Both inflammatory diseases. It is used to gauge motility, for constipation, for cancer, for blockage, for a whole bunch of other stuff, but for inflammation it is pretty useless - which is puzzling me - and please believe me I have plenty of experience on this an measured the need of Ultrasound very very carefully with more than one vet for my Bugsy - it would rule out things, but it would not see inflammation.

Something else: If your cat is throwing up and with the inflammation on the intestines, the very last thing you want to do is to put it on antibiotics. This can make it worst - way worst. It can finish killing the good bacteria on the gut putting her intestines even more out of balance, increasing the inflammation. Not a good plan. The only antibiotic that has an anti-inflammatory effect on the gut is Metronidazole, and it is not given for vomiting - it is given for Diarrhea. Why is she giving this antibiotic? Does she have an infection? You said CBC was normal, so no signs of infection there.... Fever? What antibiotics is she on? I hope no Clavamox with the vomiting?

The bonito flakes..... I totally see no harm whatsoever, and how that possibly could have caused this.

I really wish, with all my heart the money for this ultrasound had been put onto fixing this cat's tooth..... I had a 13 yr cat with the exact same (to the ) symptoms, and as soon as the tooth was pulled, she was as good as new. There is no forcing a cat to eat who is in pain.... but unfortunately the wrong antibiotic in a kitty with an inflamed gut can do a bunch of harm - I am dealing with a one year diarrhea/soft poop now on Bugsy because of a simple dose of Clavamox.
I believe it was because of the bonito flakes that caused irritation. The radiologist examined the situation and made his diagnosis. I believe he is right. Thank you for your insight. The radiologist is very trusted with our animal clinics here. But thank you. Hope she does well too. And good lucky with Bugsy!