My name is Jenny and I am Moochie's mommy.
I cannot thank Sicy enough for starting this thread, or all of you who have taken the time to post messages. Thank you all so much, it means so much to me and gives me hope.
Someone asked about meds....Moochie came home from the vet on Wednesday with Clavamox (1ml twice daily), Cimetidine (0.3ml 2-3 times daily as needed) and both dry and canned k/d. She wouldn't eat Wednesday night. She took a few licks of "regular" food Thursday morning (after refusing k/d), but certainly not enough and not normal for her... Moochie's an eater. So by early Thursday evening, she still had not really eaten anything and I called the vet to tell them this. They told me to stop giving her the Clavamox but continue the Cimetidine, and if she wouldn't eat I'd have to force feed. At first I was giving her the Cimetidine before feeding her... I'd give it to her, wait 30 mins to an hour for it to absorb in her and then I'd try feeding her, but the Cimetidine, to me, made her look even worse. By Friday mid-day, I thought I'd try switching it around and give her the Cimetidine after her food...big mistake, she just vomitted up everything I force fed her and also had some bowel problems immediately following.
But then when I came home from work around 5 and offered her food, again she ignored the k/d but then she did take a few licks of her normal food, again not enough though. I should note that over the past few days, there have been times when Moochie has physically looked better and acted better but it seemed like when I gave her the Cimetidine in preparation for feeding her, she looked bad again.
*sigh* I've tried every suggestion I've seen for feeding her... the tuna juice, water in the food, warming the food, mixing half her normal food with the k/d. She just doesn't have an interest in eating. She has been drinking water. I've placed several extra water bowls around the house since she came home and sometimes I notice she'll water from water bowl to water bowl.
I'm taking Moochie back into the vet this morning, and I have a ton of questions I want to ask the vet, so I'm hoping things will work out. I don't wanna give up on Moochie too soon, but it's been so discouraging this past week. I just want her to eat. I can deal with her taking pills and all the struggling/discomfort that involves, but if she's not eating, she appears so weak.
I have a feeling they may want to hospitalize her again, to get more fluids in her. I may try that again, but is it normal to keep them in the hospital that long? She was already in the hospital Sunday through Wednesday. I just can't imagine all the stress being put on her with them poking and prodding her and being in a strange place, but if it helps her, I'm all for it.
Anyway, I'm sorry... I don't even know if I'm making any sense at this point. But thanks again, to everyone, for your posts and suggestions, it's really helped A LOT!