cat suddenly drinking more water- no other symptoms

mikes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my cat (9yo, female, very slightly overweight) has suddenly started drinking more water than usual (almost a cup a day). She has had no prior health issues, and has had annual checkups and vaccinations since I adopted her 7 years ago. I don't detect any other symptoms or health problems-- energy level seems normal, nothing unusual in litter box, etc.). Should I take her to the vet? Absent any visible symptoms, are there tests that can be done for diabetes, etc. that increased water drinking is sometimes a sign of? Thanks.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mikes

Hello, my cat (9yo, female, very slightly overweight) has suddenly started drinking more water than usual (almost a cup a day). She has had no prior health issues, and has had annual checkups and vaccinations since I adopted her 7 years ago. I don't detect any other symptoms or health problems-- energy level seems normal, nothing unusual in litter box, etc.). Should I take her to the vet? Absent any visible symptoms, are there tests that can be done for diabetes, etc. that increased water drinking is sometimes a sign of? Thanks.
In my opinion the cat needs to see a veterinarian first and foremost.

As a veterinarian technician I can say diabetes comes to mind. Some other possibilities are: kidney failure, glomerulonephritis (inflammation of the kidney), amyloidosis (insufficiency regarding protein for metabolism) and hyperthyroidism.

Lastly only a veterinarian can test for all the possible diseases listed, plus many more if need be.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

In my opinion the cat needs to see a veterinarian first and foremost.

As a veterinarian technician I can say diabetes comes to mind. Some other possibilities are: kidney failure, glomerulonephritis (inflammation of the kidney), amyloidosis (insufficiency regarding protein for metabolism) and hyperthyroidism.

Lastly only a veterinarian can test for all the possible diseases listed, plus many more if need be.
Ditto this advice, please take it. I hope your cat will be okay.

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above. Increased water intake like this is a sign of something not being right. With diabetes you may not see any other signs. There are tests for diabetes so if that's the case it shouldn't be hard to make the diagnosis. It's a simple blood test. If it was my cat I would do a full blood work up with a CBC and a chem. Since this cat is getting a bit older it's a good idea to do anyway. A CBC and a chem should give you a good idea of what's going on.

Good luck

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My 16 year old had the same issue a few months ago - excess thirst with no other symptoms. We took him for a complete blood screening. They didn't find diabetes, but they did find a high level white blood cell count indicating an infection. Antibiotics cleared things up for him.

Suspect something is physically wrong, even if you are not seeing any other symptoms.