Food to entice cat with smell problem to eat?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The chemotherapy appears to have affected Lazlo's sense of smell, which, in turn, is impacting his eating.

I broke out the Fancy Feast (salmon, classic formulas are the only ones I buy). He ate a reasonable amount. I crumbled some human tuna on top, to see if he'd eat more. He took one sniff and went at it.

Obviously, feeding him human tuna is not an option LOL.

I ordered a number of natural freeze-dried treats that I'll be able to try to see what he likes and encourages him to eat on his own (mackerel, cod, salmon, shrimp... I don't remember what else, in addition to the beef/bison liver). But these will take some time to get here.

In the meantime, any ideas on what I can feed him that is stinky enough he'll be stimulated to eat it?

We were about to head out to the pet food store to get the Weruva fishy flavors, but then our power went out. We'll be able to head out tomorrow. I normally avoid fish-related stuff for the most part, but I think for a few weeks it is better he eats.

(I do and can syringe feed him without problem, but I'd much rather he were eating on his own if possible).

Thanks for any suggestions!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using bonito flakes (aka Kitty Kavier) a lot lately. They have a very strong odor so you don't need to use much. I grind the flakes in a coffee grinder so it's easier to use a small amount. I use it to give the kitties food a flavor burst as a treat.

If you have an Asian market nearby bonito flakes can be purchased a lot cheaper than the Kitty Kavier at the pet store.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Laurie - this is tough!

Buddy loves the Weruva Cats In the Kitchen Love Me Tender Pouches

http://www.petflow.com/product/weruv...tender-pouches

and that's sayin' something - in fact no one seems to turn his/her nose up at that.

I haven't had to go to the fish flavors because he'll eat this - it's duck and chicken

(I'm doing all my cat shopping at PetFlow now.)

I'm glad that he accepts the syringe feeding - hopefully this will get him over the hump until he can smell his food again.

Until then, probably only the stinky fishy stuff will be your only chance of him smelling anything.

for you and Lazio

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks.

We actually have bonito flakes here, that's why I didn't order it. I haven't tried it yet. But the coffee grinder is a great idea.
The liver treats powder so easily, I haven't had to consider how to powder the treats yet. Thanks for that.

Power still isn't on, so pet store'll have to be tomorrow.

But the oncologist called. They suggested baby food, boneless sardines, liverworst, keep using the tuna, mashed up fois gras LOL. I don't know where my brain is, we have babyfood on hand. But I think I'll hold off on the others.

Someone also reminded me just heating up the food may help. Been a while (what a blessing, right?) since we had a sick kitty that needed help eating. The last three rescues have the opposite problem LOL, the little piggies.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Thanks.

We actually have bonito flakes here, that's why I didn't order it. I haven't tried it yet. But the coffee grinder is a great idea.
The liver treats powder so easily, I haven't had to consider how to powder the treats yet. Thanks for that.

Power still isn't on, so pet store'll have to be tomorrow.

But the oncologist called. They suggested baby food, boneless sardines, liverworst, keep using the tuna, mashed up fois gras LOL. I don't know where my brain is, we have babyfood on hand. But I think I'll hold off on the others.

Someone also reminded me just heating up the food may help. Been a while (what a blessing, right?) since we had a sick kitty that needed help eating. The last three rescues have the opposite problem LOL, the little piggies.
The oncologist gave you what would have been my two suggestions: fresh or canned-in-water-no-salt-added Sardines and warming the food with a tablespoon of hot water.

I truly hope one or several of the suggestions work!

AC

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

The oncologist gave you what would have been my two suggestions: fresh or canned-in-water-no-salt-added Sardines and warming the food with a tablespoon of hot water.

I truly hope one or several of the suggestions work!

AC
I'll see if we can find them. Not being a sardine eater, I thought they were packed in oil.
. I guess tuna used to come only that way and became available with water many years ago, so why not sardines, right?

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I'll see if we can find them. Not being a sardine eater, I thought they were packed in oil.
. I guess tuna used to come only that way and became available with water many years ago, so why not sardines, right?
You can buy sardines frozen, or canned in either water or oil, with or without salt added. So you have to read the fine print when shopping for them.

AC

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have a PM ... though baby food is a very good option

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about Baby Food earlier - but thought it wouldn't really have a strong scent, like the sardine-like foods would.

I hope you get your power on soon!!! whew!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We got our power back!

I heated up half a jar of chicken baby food (and Gloria, for your future reference, it stank LOL. I forgot how strong that stuff smells!). Lazlo ate all of it. So I waited 15 minutes and heated up the rest. He polished it off.

I am going to try the other ideas though. I want him eating on his own, and if he likes sardines, adding them to cat food is probably a good way to get him getting more complete nutrition.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YAY for power!! Very relieved to hear this.... Heated food is a good appetite stimulant for cats and dogs

I will repeat in short from the other thread. Try Stella and Chewey's freeze-dried raw cubes. I wet mine with water first and they sit in a bowl for a minute. The cats go nuts for these and line-up. I offer them as a healthy treat. Also, the owner of my natural pet food store suggests grated Parmesan Cheese sprinkled on top of the food (both cats and dogs) either they will love it or hate it. Just something else to try. I can find Sardines in water at my local Jewel and have used this for Wilbur as well. I have a whole arsenal of "the taste of the day" weapons.

p.s. I also add "whatever" to a small amount of dog kibble for Wilbur, that way I at least feel he is getting SOME dog food

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for posting this here, too, Lauren.
If anyone's looking up how to help entice their kitty to eat, hopefully this'll be a good reference thread.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

We got our power back!

I heated up half a jar of chicken baby food (and Gloria, for your future reference, it stank LOL. I forgot how strong that stuff smells!). Lazlo ate all of it. So I waited 15 minutes and heated up the rest. He polished it off.

I am going to try the other ideas though. I want him eating on his own, and if he likes sardines, adding them to cat food is probably a good way to get him getting more complete nutrition.
So happy that the baby food was good and stinkin'!!!! I never would have guessed that.

You can't see me - but I am jumpin' up and down for this success - more for Lazio's eating than for you getting your power back - altho' I know that is also a wonderful event.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Thanks for posting this here, too, Lauren.
If anyone's looking up how to help entice their kitty to eat, hopefully this'll be a good reference thread.
Boy! Do I agree! I'm marking this thread - I have some picky eaters, and find myself throwing away expensive food - maybe these ideas will benefit my crew, as well as my pocketbook.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

...You can't see me - but I am jumpin' up and down for this success - more for Lazio's eating than for you getting your power back - altho' I know that is also a wonderful event.
But getting power back meant hot food!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

But getting power back meant hot food!
Shoot! I thought you may have a gas stove, yikes!

You could always turn on your car and heat up the engine, then put the food on the engine block to heat it - or- if you had a camping stove?

BTW, I have one cat that will eat only warmed food - glad the combination of what you're using for Lazio to eat is so successful, really an answer to prayer, for sure.

Continued for all of you - hope Gary is doing better.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh we do have a gas stove! I guess we could have heated up water and added it to the food (as AC suggested). I tossed it in the microwave for 7 seconds LOL.

And we also have a camping stove.
That was a lifesaver when we lived in a house - we kept boiling water to add to the fish tank to keep them alive (the power went out for over a week in the winter).

Their last meal of the day is in a little bit. I'm going to just try heating up some cat food.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

The chemotherapy appears to have affected Lazlo's sense of smell, which, in turn, is impacting his eating.

I broke out the Fancy Feast (salmon, classic formulas are the only ones I buy). He ate a reasonable amount. I crumbled some human tuna on top, to see if he'd eat more. He took one sniff and went at it.

Obviously, feeding him human tuna is not an option LOL.
Why? I know it is not terribly healthy, but if that is what it takes to keep him eating why not? I mean like giving him what amounts to one can of human grade tuna a day.

Originally Posted by LDG

I ordered a number of natural freeze-dried treats that I'll be able to try to see what he likes and encourages him to eat on his own (mackerel, cod, salmon, shrimp... I don't remember what else, in addition to the beef/bison liver). But these will take some time to get here.

In the meantime, any ideas on what I can feed him that is stinky enough he'll be stimulated to eat it?
None of these are idea's are terribly healthy at all, but I have used them with either animals in veterinarians offices or with shelter/foster cats. Anyway here is the list: cooked turkey, turkey breast, smoked salmon, and the oil from human grade canned tuna.

Originally Posted by LDG

We were about to head out to the pet food store to get the Weruva fishy flavors, but then our power went out. We'll be able to head out tomorrow. I normally avoid fish-related stuff for the most part, but I think for a few weeks it is better he eats.
Very very wise idea
!

Originally Posted by LDG

(I do and can syringe feed him without problem, but I'd much rather he were eating on his own if possible).
It is very good that you can do that, but if you do not need to do that then why would you
. It will be better for you and your cat if you can keep him eating on his own.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

Why? I know it is not terribly healthy, but if that is what it takes to keep him eating why not? I mean like giving him what amounts to one can of human grade tuna a day.

None of these are idea's are terribly healthy at all, but I have used them with either animals in veterinarians offices or with shelter/foster cats. Anyway here is the list: cooked turkey, turkey breast, smoked salmon, and the oil from human grade canned tuna.
Yeah, I ended up going through about 1/2 of a 2.5oz packet of tuna today.

This meal he wouldn't eat heated up beef Evo, heated up chicken Before Grain, or heated up Innova. I gave him the (heated up) ocean fish & tuna Fancy Feast with tuna added.
He ate 1/2 a 3 oz. can.