Vinegar to stop cat from peeing on bed?

tinysalmon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is spraying vinegar on my mattress enough to repel my cat from peeing on my bed again? Should I spray it every day just to be safe? If the smell is gone to me, I am assuming the cat's strong sense of smell can detect it even if I can't.

I don't have any of that Nature's Miracle stuff, so I am hoping vinegar will do for now. I might want to try that orange scented one (Link)

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TinySalmon

Is spraying vinegar on my mattress enough to repel my cat from peeing on my bed again? Should I spray it every day just to be safe? If the smell is gone to me, I am assuming the cat's strong sense of smell can detect it even if I can't.

I don't have any of that Nature's Miracle stuff, so I am hoping vinegar will do for now. I might want to try that orange scented one (Link)
I am sorry but I have NO IDEA if vinegar will repel your cat from urinating on the bed
. I am fairly sure that is an old wives tail. I do know that as you pointed out your cat will be able to smell the area where he/she urinated.

You could try using a product called Simple Green. It is shown here: http://www.simplegreen.com/. It is fairly inexpensive and is supposed to be an enzymatic cleaner that works on cat urine.

Also please see a licensed veterinarian you trust as your cat may have a medical issue causing the inappropriate urination.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think the vinegar smell will REPEL the cat. That being said, I use vinegar for ALL animal related messes. Completely saturate the stain with vinegar. When it dries the smell is gone, vinegar smell AND animal smell. My cats never really went back to the spots again either.

Also, if the cat is peeing on the bed, there is a good chance it might need a trip to the vet to rule out a medical issue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinysalmon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I don't think the vinegar smell will REPEL the cat. That being said, I use vinegar for ALL animal related messes. Completely saturate the stain with vinegar. When it dries the smell is gone, vinegar smell AND animal smell. My cats never really went back to the spots again either.

Also, if the cat is peeing on the bed, there is a good chance it might need a trip to the vet to rule out a medical issue
As long as the cat doesn't go back and recognize the smell of her urine again is good enough for me.

I don't think it is a UTI because she uses her litter box regularly, 2-3 times a day. I see at least two urine clumps a day, and the pee stain on my bed was light yellow, so no blood... She doesn't lick her genitals excessively and doesn't cry. She eats all her food and runs around as usual.

I think I did something to make her mad like when I was vacuuming a room she was in, she got scared and ran to my room, or when I closed my bedroom door for like 20 minutes while she was in it (I assumed it was okay since her litter box and food was in my room), but since we let her roam around the house I guess she doesn't like being contained in one room anymore. OR it's about time to change her litter to fresh new litter, but I am trying to wait until friday so I can keep a consistent schedule since the last time we put new litter was on a friday. She is still using it though.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats typically will pee on a bed or something of that nature to let you know, "hey, somethings wrong take me to the vet" Just because she continues to use the litter box and hasn't cried is not sufficient evidence to not have her checked.

My Jack is currently on an antibiotic for a UTI, he was using the litter box, but also went on our hall rug. There was no crying, but he had a UTI.

Please take her to a vet and have her checked, having had UTI's myself, they are horrible and painful and make life miserable.

Leslie

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vinegar will not neutralize the smell, and she will come back to the spot as long as she can smell urine there. You need to wash all the bedding to the mattress pad and soak the mattress underneath with a odor neutralizer product. My favorite is Nok Out - Nature's Miracle just isn't strong enough.

Another thought if you can't get the smell out right away: buy a vinyl mattress cover for your bed and put that over the mattress (and under the mattress pad).

If you get the smell out and she still returns to the spot, it doesn't matter that she uses the litter box most times - there is a huge chance that she is ill. The number 1 reason why cats pee outside the box is that there is something physically wrong with them.