Gassy Kitty!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since this happened twice in the last week, I've just got to post it.

I picked up Dorothy on the weekend, and heard/felt some air escaping... and boy did it stink! I had to put her down and leave the room! (and yes, I was laughing about it- I'm one of those immature people who thinks gas is funny, sorry
)

Just a few minutes ago the same thing happened! I didn't hear anything, but kind of felt an air bubble, and then smelled it. Jeez! Now, I know she's let loose before, because sometimes all of a sudden the room will stink and I know it wasn't me or BF. (he proudly admits to his
)

Anyone else have a gassy cat? Anything I should/could do about it? She just had a fecal test about 2 weeks ago and all was fine, so... what's causing it?

minlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would say that periodically it is normal for a cat to let one out here and there. Now if it comes too persistant I would say it may have an upset stomach. My female has let one out while she was on my lap a while back. Yes the smell is gross but i put her down and ran to a less gassy room. Cats have bowels like we do.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Improperly digested food and allergies can cause excessive gas.

If it continues, I'd talk to the vet about it.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goodness!

What Arlyn said - it's most likely diet related. Do you feed kibble? If so, you might want to consider adding canned to Miss Dorothy's diet and reducing (or eliminating) the kibble.

AC

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We had a cat back in the 1960's who would eat anything - spaghetti, popcorn, pepperoni, chips, and his personal favorite, bologna. Was the gassiest cat ever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dorothy and Genever eat the same food- NB Duck & Green Pea dry, and various wet food brands and flavors- NB, Wellness, Trader Joes, occasional others. Nothing with byproducts and nastiness, except for treats- Whisker Lickins, Pounce, Greenies. But some of the cans are grain-free, some aren't. Maybe i should stick to the grain free.

The cats rarely get people food, just a bit of ham or other meat now and then from BF (they stalk him when he has ham). Admittedly, I'll offer my food to the cats sometimes if they seem interested (as long as it's not onions, garlic or other badness), and Dot sniffs but 99% of the time walks away.

If it keeps up, I'll ask the vet about it. That, and stop picking her up.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkMavis

Dorothy and Genever eat the same food- NB Duck & Green Pea dry, and various wet food brands and flavors- NB, Wellness, Trader Joes, occasional others. Nothing with byproducts and nastiness, except for treats- Whisker Lickins, Pounce, Greenies. But some of the cans are grain-free, some aren't. Maybe i should stick to the grain free.
It could be 1 of those causing it. Midnight had really bad gas, and stomach cramps when we got him. 1 of the things the vet suggested was changing his food.

Do you give her milk?
The vet also told us to stay away from milk products. At the time only
Lynxx
and Luna were drinking milk, so that wasn't Midnight's problem.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, but my cat had a poop once that stunk to high heaven. I swear I almost died trying to scoop the litter box. XD

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amazing how such a little creature can produce such a smell, isn't it?

Gumby was my "gas bomb" here. The NB LID dry wasn't agreeing with her (not sure which of the LIDs it is off the top of my head, it's the light green label). As she wasn't the one who needed to eat it, I switched her to another food which eliminated the gas. (they eat 50/50 wet/dry). I wondered if it was the green peas in it?

kaikrishna1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You know, my friend works at a vet and she tried Taste of the Wild cat food because it is gluten free and high quality and she said it made her cat very gassy. She also said she has heard that from other people who come into the vet. I thought that was interesting.

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Calvin was a little stinker the 1st 2 months with us. He was also having mushy poop. Once we stopped giving him wellness kitten dry and moved to California natural chicken and rice and incorporated much more canned in his diet, this problem disappeared and stayed away.
You may want to change her food and/ or add some probiotic and see.
Hobbes, on the other hand, passes horribly stinky gas when he's excited - a new toy or just a ton of loving with meowmy can do it. He's a character.

milu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkMavis

Dorothy and Genever eat the same food- NB Duck & Green Pea dry, and various wet food brands and flavors- NB, Wellness, Trader Joes, occasional others.
You might want to contact these companies and ask them for a list of carb percentages on a dry matter basis. I did this yesterday and was quite surprised, not in a good way. They don't want you sharing the information publicly, that's why I don't want to say more
but I bet I can guess which brand/flavor causes the gas

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the first time in years, and l mean since she was a kitten!. Rosie let one go on Sunday night when she was on my lap

I know what caused hers though, it was because she had too many treats. She gets the squits with too many so i've cut them down.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you haven't changed anything in the diet lately, not sure what could be the cause. I found if I give Perla too many Temptation treats (hairball) she gets a bit gassy too. Just sending Dot vibes that she is "gas-free" today

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
OMGosh, Tabby did that the other night! In bed yet!

We were lying on the bed watching tv. Mollipop was curled up in my arms and Tabby was all stretched out against my back. Suddenly this awful smell engulfed us....there's just no other word for it. Molli even sat straight up in bed and her nose was working triple-time! Tabby just slept through it all.....well, they say that your own farts don't bother you.
Had to be Miss Tabs. That's the first time (and we hope the only time) she's done it. It was nasty.

(And DH will sometimes admit to a particularly bad one.
He's 60; they don't grow out of it with age.)

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

(And DH will sometimes admit to a particularly bad one.
He's 60; they don't grow out of it with age.)
ROFL I was so hopeful too!

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my wirehairs were gassy when I first got them. I gave them probiotics in their food for a couple of weeks while we transitioned to their new home and that fixed every one of them right up!

I just used "human" probiotic capsules and sprinkled one on their food once a day. If they ever have to have antibiotics, I follow those up with a couple of weeks of probiotics, to re-establish good gut flora.

C

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just can't imagine it would be the food, because it's been the same dry food since we adopted her, and I always switch up the wet foods. She let a few rip since we got her, but I posted this thread because it happened twice in the past few days, as I picked her up. Of course when I texted my mom to tell her I squeezed out a fart when I picked up Dorothy, she replied 'Squeezed one out of you or Dorothy?'

I suppose I could try a different dry food, because I only started the NB Duck & Pea (both dry and cans) for Genever back when we thought her puking could be food-related. We don't think that's the case anymore (which is why I feed different canned foods again), but I've just stuck with it just because. Before NB I fed TOTW which Genever loved. I'm wondering if it's like some of you mentioned or hinted to, that the foods might be too rich? That a 'junky' food might be better for Dot? I have no idea how the logistics of feeding separate foods would work, so as of now, while no one is on a medically necessary diet, they're going to have to eat the same thing. They're both all-day grazers, it just has to be that way.

Oh, and they don't have any milk, once in a while I'll let Genever have a piece of cheese, but Dot's never interested. Treats are usually the same, they get their pills in Whisker Lickins soft treats, and sometimes some Greenies or Pounce or Whisker Lickins. One thing that's changed is I started feeding Hip Action treats to Dorothy, 1 per day, about a month or so ago. Maybe that's it? Or maybe she's just gassy. She's definitely BF's cat. (he's 42 and English, so I never had any hope of him getting over his gas-pride)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh,Erica, you girls are funny
Larry will blame the cats/dogs for his "silent/deadly" ones.. And I yell, NO WAY, that was human

Anyway, it could be those treats
. Very possible, but I would think you might have noticed "gas" right away after Dorothy was getting the treats. You could stop them for a week and see if that was it. Hope she is "gas-free" today

Lauren