Cat with the Sniffles

joseph dooley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male cat has had the sniffles for the past 2 weeks. He is eating and acting fine. Is there something OTC I can give him?
Thanks, JSMLS

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Joseph Dooley

My male cat has had the sniffles for the past 2 weeks. He is eating and acting fine. Is there something OTC I can give him?
Thanks, JSMLS
I do not know of anything you can give over the counter. How old is the cat? Is he sneezing and wheezing? Does he have eye "crud"?

I would recommend you take him to a licensed veterinarian you trust.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What do you mean by "sniffles"? Is he sneezing a lot? Is there colored discharge?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A vet visit may be in order, if it hangs on this long. Cats can get the feline equivalent of a cold, which is caused by a virus, but it can lead to secondary infections, so most vets subscribe some antibiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joseph dooley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

What do you mean by "sniffles"? Is he sneezing a lot? Is there colored discharge?
No, not sneezing alot. Discharge is light yellowish. I guess an antibiotic from the vet is in order. I just thought I could try something for him I have at home.

Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joseph dooley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

I do not know of anything you can give over the counter. How old is the cat? Is he sneezing and wheezing? Does he have eye "crud"?

I would recommend you take him to a licensed veterinarian you trust.
Thanks,

I'll take him to my vet.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, not sneezing alot. Discharge is light yellowish. I guess an antibiotic from the vet is in order. I just thought I could try something for him I have at home.

Thanks

Thanks,

I'll take him to my vet.
You are very welcome
. That colored discharge indicates that the cat likely has a secondary infection from the "feline cold". So I am glad you will be bringing your cat to a licensed veterinarian you trust.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Clear discharge is okay, but any discoloration needs to be seen by the vet. Hope he's feeling better soon!