can you mix dry and wet food together?

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am having problems with my 12 week old eating wet food!! I have tried everything so this morning i put his wet food out and once again he turned his nose up at it,so i put 4 bowls of diffrent brands out to see which ones he would eat and one i mixed a bit of wet with alot of dry and that was what he ate most of.. so can i mix wet and dry together so he will eat? he hsan't been eating alot the past 4 days and this morning he ate quite a bit of it.....

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely! My cats have always had a bit of dry mixed in with the wet food. Especially when they were kittens. It is fine to add some dry to get them to start eating the wet. I have to do this with Pipsqueak now to get him to eat wet food. My cats get one of their wet meals mixed with dry and a little bit of water. I have to add a little dry to Pipsqueak's wet food to get him to eat the wet

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cyndersmom

I am having problems with my 12 week old eating wet food!! I have tried everything so this morning i put his wet food out and once again he turned his nose up at it,so i put 4 bowls of diffrent brands out to see which ones he would eat and one i mixed a bit of wet with alot of dry and that was what he ate most of.. so can i mix wet and dry together so he will eat? he hsan't been eating alot the past 4 days and this morning he ate quite a bit of it.....
Originally Posted by Feralvr

Absolutely! My cats have always had a bit of dry mixed in with the wet food. Especially when they were kittens. It is fine to add some dry to get them to start eating the wet. I have to do this with Pipsqueak now to get him to eat wet food. My cats get one of their wet meals mixed with dry and a little bit of water. I have to add a little dry to Pipsqueak's wet food to get him to eat the wet
I feed all three of my pure domestics a mix (50% wet and 50% dry) once to twice a day depending on the cat. Plus they are given a separate bowel of dry food as well. My F3 Savannah is on a strictly dry food diet as he is too food aggressive to receive wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
THANKYOU!!!! He just doesn't seem to like any texture of any wet food. I have tried pate,chunks,slices you name it all he will do is lick the gravy off and walk away, I'm just hoping he will stick to this and not turn his nose up a this as well.. Another question is i put some wet usually out before i go to work,can i leave the mixed out as well,as i heard that it has alot of bacteria in it and will cause problems. if i put just canned down he will eventually eat some of it cuz he is hungry and doen't get fed for 6 hrs while we are both at work... God why did i have to get the picky eater......

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

THANKYOU!!!! He just doesn't seem to like any texture of any wet food. I have tried pate,chunks,slices you name it all he will do is lick the gravy off and walk away, I'm just hoping he will stick to this and not turn his nose up a this as well.. Another question is i put some wet usually out before i go to work,can i leave the mixed out as well,as i heard that it has alot of bacteria in it and will cause problems. if i put just canned down he will eventually eat some of it cuz he is hungry and doen't get fed for 6 hrs while we are both at work... God why did i have to get the picky eater......
I just have to say some cats are very picky eaters. Panda my DLH was as picky as your kitten from when I first acquired her over a year ago. So I am not sure why some cats are that way but they sure are

Now onto your question about bacteria growth. I will say first of all I am not a veterinarian. If you are very concerned about that issue speak to a licensed veterinarian you trust.

But as a certified veterinarian technician and working with cats for over 15 years I have never seen the bacterial issue that many people speak about.

Now with my present pure domestics (three) and my F3 Savannah the pure domestics know to bolt down there wet/dry food mix
. So there is no chance for bacteria to grow

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have also heard that wet+ dry is not good to leave out but I don't know the validity of that statement. Wet will be fine to leave out while you are gone, but if suddenly he has stopped eating, i would take him to the vet. Wasn't he a stray at one point?

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i guess a stray e was 6 weeks old when we got him off a farm. he started out eating ff wet ,the transitioned him to bb wilderness canned,but bout 2 weeks ago i had to go for a dinner and hubby was supossed to be home by 3 and got stuck at work till bout 8:30 i had always had the dry out but he never ate it till that night,since then he just doesn't want to eat anything the dry the wet,will lick off tuna juice then walk away... i just don't know what has caused this but if he ate the kibble and liked it how come he won't touch anything. i think i have to take him to the vet by the weekend. he did eat a bit of boiled chicken tonight cuz he needs to eat something,but thats it..

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard this mentioned many times as well, right along with the advice not to feed kibble and raw together or even within a few hours of each other. My response to this is two-pronged. First and foremost - don't feed kibble!!!! (See Feline-Nutrition.org or CatInfo.org for detailed info.)

Okay, now that that's out of the way... *grin*

Cats evolved to handle some pretty crazy bacterial loads. Feral cats often bury their breakfast leftovers and dig them up that evening for dinner, and stray cats will eat out of dumpsters without digestive upsets. With the kinds of things kibble is coated with to entice cats to eat it, mixing it with anything that makes it moist will definitely cause fast, active bacterial growth, but knowing what cats can handle, I'm not convinced that bacteria is flat-out dangerous.

I don't recommend the practice because kibble is unhealthy for cats, but I think if you're doing it short-term to transition the cat to something else, it's not the end of the world.

Of course, the longer you leave the mix sitting out, the higher those bacterial levels will get. Young cats, old cats or any cat with a compromised immune system is likely going to be affected at some point, and if you leave it long enough, even healthy cats could be.

That's kind of an in-between answer, but hopefully, it helps clarify things at least a bit for you. Good luck getting your furbaby to eat canned!

Hmmm, have you tried any of the other tricks to enticing a cat to eat something? A bit of tuna juice dribbled over the food, or a sprinkling of catnip, freeze dried meat treats (Whole Life's chicken never fails on my kitties), Parmesan cheese, or even fish food flakes can work wonders in convincing a cat your offering is actually edible. Maybe one of those will work for you!

Best regards and good luck again.

AC

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

I've heard this mentioned many times as well, right along with the advice not to feed kibble and raw together or even within a few hours of each other. My response to this is two-pronged. First and foremost - don't feed kibble!!!! (See Feline-Nutrition.org or CatInfo.org for detailed info.)

Okay, now that that's out of the way... *grin* AC
I meant commercial wet canned food mixed with commercial dry food. Not raw meat or raw entrails mixed with commercial dry food.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

I meant commercial wet canned food mixed with commercial dry food. Not raw meat or raw entrails mixed with commercial dry food.
Yes, I know, Cat Person. And that's what I responded to.

AC

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Short answer from actual experience:
Many kittens are free fed kibble, while also given wet food, as these two were. The kibble is surely not digested before the wet food is eaten, and they do fine with normal stools and did not get sick.

Common sense answer:
Kibble does digest at different rates than wet from what I've read, but if they have the gut flora to digest either, its a non-issue, just as its not a big deal that mashed potatoes digest much faster than steak and you don't have to separate those meals for yourself.

Wet food mixed with dry food (or just dry food wetted) will go bad as quickly as wet food by itself, so its best consumed within an hour or two of being put out.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Yes, I know, Cat Person. And that's what I responded to.

AC
Okay it is the word raw or I swear I saw the word raw threw me
. I can be mega ditzy.

Originally Posted by Ducman69

Short answer from actual experience:
Many kittens are free fed kibble, while also given wet food, as these two were. The kibble is surely not digested before the wet food is eaten, and they do fine with normal stools and did not get sick.

Common sense answer:
Kibble does digest at different rates than wet from what I've read, but if they have the gut flora to digest either, its a non-issue, just as its not a big deal that mashed potatoes digest much faster than steak and you don't have to separate those meals for yourself.

Wet food mixed with dry food (or just dry food wetted) will go bad as quickly as wet food by itself, so its best consumed within an hour or two of being put out.
All I can say is my three pure domestics eat fifty percent canned food (wet) mixed with fifty percent dry food. This set up is given one to two times per day depending on the cat. Plus dry food in a separate dish is out at all times for the two indoor/outdoor cats. The other pure domestic that is completely indoors is given a dish of dry and the wet/dry mix in the evenings when she is alone in my bedroom. For heath reasons she is fed only one time a day.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think that as long as it isn't sitting out all day long and is eaten in a fairly decent time frame that it wouldn't be a problem. Bijou doesn't eat his wet food all at once when I put it down, he eats some and goes back later to finish it.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
what you can do is leave some wet food and freeze some so that your cat can eat it later as it thaws.

when Little Guy was a kitten (well, 6 months old when I adopted him), I couldn't get him to eat wet food. So I would mix the dry and wet and feed it from my hand. That was the only way he'd eat. I think he probably was a dry food addict prior to me adopting him because he wouldn't eat the wet without the dry, much to my dismay.

I see no reason to not mix wet and dry although, like Auntie Crazy said, I would feed all wet if you can afford it. I don't believe that any canned is better than the best dry food...there are bad dry and wet foods. But I do believe that a good canned food is better than dry food. In general, a good canned food has lower carbs and is more digestible as well as it contains more moisture which cats need. While cats may be able to tolerate carbs, it puts more stress on their system and they don't derive any benefits. I'm not saynig no carbs, just low carbs.

I would, however, make sure that your cat's inappetance isn't a result of a medical issue. You don't want him not eating for more than 24 hours as it can lead to hepatic lipidosis. HL is expensive to treat...I've seen too many cats go through this...not trying to scare you but maybe see the vet if he doesn't start eating.

Glad you're trying to get him to eat wet though. Hope things go well!

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so he basically wants the dry
and at this moment I just want him to eat so i have put bot wet and dry down, of course he goes after the dry. Any ways I notice that when i put the wet out before i go to work and then hubby comes home at 3 he has eaten most of the wet because that is his only food choice,when I go to work, I take the dry away. So heres my idea. i will put wet out 3 times a day,and his dry but when it comes time for me to go to work. i will only put wet out and then that forces him to eat some wet as that is his only food choice for 7 hrs. then when he is bout 6 months i will try to transiion him over to all wet.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

so he basically wants the dry
and at this moment I just want him to eat so i have put bot wet and dry down, of course he goes after the dry. Any ways I notice that when i put the wet out before i go to work and then hubby comes home at 3 he has eaten most of the wet because that is his only food choice,when I go to work, I take the dry away. So heres my idea. i will put wet out 3 times a day,and his dry but when it comes time for me to go to work. i will only put wet out and then that forces him to eat some wet as that is his only food choice for 7 hrs. then when he is bout 6 months i will try to transiion him over to all wet.
In my humble opinion the above idea sounds just fine

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks cat person. i do really want him on all wet,but cats like what they like,so i'll just just start saving for the big vet bill that will come later when he gets a uti

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

thanks cat person. i do really want him on all wet,but cats like what they like,so i'll just just start saving for the big vet bill that will come later when he gets a uti
Okay let me start off and say I am a vet tech and have had/fostered many male cats for fifteen years. None of my cats had a UTI. Some of that is luck I am sure. But I also think some cats are prone to UTI as well. So I do not think it is always diet related.

Also it has been shown some grain helps prevent a UTI. I feed my F3 Savannah Evo dry and Taste Of The Wild dry mixed together. But to prevent a UTI he is given twenty pieces (yes I count them
) of either Nutro Max diet dry food or Purina dry to ensure he gets some grains in his diet.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Okay let me start off and say I am a vet tech and have had/fostered many male cats for fifteen years. None of my cats had a UTI. Some of that is luck I am sure. But I also think some cats are prone to UTI as well. So I do not think it is always diet related.

Also it has been shown some grain helps prevent a UTI. I feed my F3 Savannah Evo dry and Taste Of The Wild dry mixed together. But to prevent a UTI he is given twenty pieces (yes I count them
) of either Nutro Max diet dry food or Purina dry to ensure he gets some grains in his diet.
When you ladies have a chance, I'd recommend you take a look at the Nutrition and Health sections of the Feline Nutrition Education Society's website (feline-nutrition.org). It'll give you a great grounding in feline nutritional needs and help you understand what it is about certain foods that makes them "healthier" than others. Which, of course, will make choosing foods that much easier.

Best regards!

AC

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cyndersmom, your idea is fine. I agree that utis aren't always diet related, hiwever, wet food does provide the moisture a cat needs. I am glad you have found a solution.