Multiple cats - Clumping or non-clumping litter?

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I have a question.

I now have 3 cats and currently use unscented clumping litter in 2 litterpans. I've noticed that ever since we got the third cat, their urine clumps have been sticking together and when I scoop them out of the litter, it's a HUGE mound of clumped litter which I have to throw out rather than nice, small balls like before.
We are going through a LOT more litterlocker bags aswell as litter and I was just wondering if switching to non-clumping would be a better idea?

I got my third cat from my local shelter and I noticed that they used non-clumping litter, so that's where I got this idea from.

I just want to know if using non-clumping litter with multiple cats is a good idea? Simply because we are now going through way too much litter and bags like I said before

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is up to you which type of litter you use.

The reason shelters use non-clumping cat litter is normally cause of price or that is what the public donates.

I have two indoor and two indoor/outdoor cats and have six litter boxes all of which have non-clumping cat litter. The bowel movements are removed two or more times a day and the whole boxes are completely cleaned one time a week. This system works for me and my cats.

The only thing I will say about having used both (clumping at work) and non-clumping at home is that clumping seems far more convenient. But maybe this is just a case of the grass looking greener on the other side

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think you would end up going through more litter if you use non clumping instead of clumping actually, simply because you would have to dump the whole box fairly often. I couldn't imagine NOT using clumping truthfully, but it's different for everyone. You could always try it and see how you make out.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it's possible that since you have 3 cats using just 2 boxes that the boxes are being over used between cleanings which is resulting in the clumps becoming huge. Since the usual recommendation is one box per cat plus one for the house, I wonder if adding at least 1 or ideally two more boxes would result in easier cleaning and smaller clumps.

That is my guess anyway.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd go with Melisine's idea...add another box...One other thing, maybe try to scoop 1 more time a day so that you remove the clumps before they have the chance to pee on top of them again... I have 3 cats and just 2 boxes (I used WBCL multi-cat formula clumping) and the only way it works for me is to scoop 2x a day.

Artgecko

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

I have 3 cats and just 2 boxes (I used WBCL multi-cat formula clumping) and the only way it works for me is to scoop 2x a day.
Yeah..... That's what I'm thinking if switching to non-clumping will waste more litter in the long run ..

Boo

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shelters use non-clumping litter because they dump the boxes every day and non-clumping is cheaper. If you don't dump the box at least once a week, the odor from non-clumping littter will put you out of the house!

I agree that you need 1-2 more litterboxes. That should really help with this issue.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Shelters use non-clumping litter because they dump the boxes every day and non-clumping is cheaper. If you don't dump the box at least once a week, the odor from non-clumping littter will put you out of the house!

I agree that you need 1-2 more litterboxes. That should really help with this issue.

The more cats, the more extra (and fast) clumping you want IMO!

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have 3 cats and 4 litter pans. I use clumping litter and it works well for us. I scoop in the morning, when I get home from work and again before bed. Although I swear they have a preference for one litter pan and it gets used more than ther others (dang cats!!!)The cats are happy and the litter never smells.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't even imagine using non-clumping litter in a six-cat household.
Clumping all the way for me!

AC

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in the same boat... I noticed clumping is at least $3 more for the same amount here... We have 4 cats and 3 pans... We know we need a 4th I'm grabbing that today. My problem is they all are on royal canin urinary so. It makes them drink alot and then they pee so much more then ever before... I'm at a cross roads.. I actually ran out of litter and I had 2 boxes of 12kg clumping! They all seem to pee in the same pan and its a nasty mess to clean even daily they pee so much just the pee balls are saturated. The vet said this is good its what she wanted... Should I just fill boxes and dump every other day? I'm pulling out atleaat a full litter box worth in pee clumps every 2 days. I throw out about 18khs of litter a week.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It won't use any less litter, but it would be easier if you scoop two or three times a day, especially if they're all peeing in one box. The kitties will probably be happier, too. They like clean litter boxes.

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We were going to do a "trial run" but WalMart doesn't sell non clumping 10kg cat litter we only found clumping we were upset because I hate scooping the pee I'd rather keep tossing the pee box every other day! Haha looks like in upping my scooping. We did try a new brand of cat litter to see if it was maybe the brand not absorbing as well

sez2929

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I breed birmans and 2 litters I have been advised NOT to use are clumping and crystal. Kittens eat a lot of litter, you know how babies are, everything goes in the mouth! Clumping accumulates in their stomach as they can't pass it and crystal litter contains toxins that can kill a kitten especially if enough is ingested. Its best to go with natural clay or paper, biodegradable is always a good option..

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh really? I have a kitten... Well I guess she's getting older. She was born may 1st and never seen litter intill she was 12 weeks. I've watched her in the the box countless times (to praise her) and Shea never even put her face to the litter she gets in and gets out! She pees and poos in the same box everytime to... I wondering if 4 will make them all use their own box... If they think like that... I almost just changed their litters into rubermaid totes and only use 3 but I never got around to buying them cause the open tops are eaiser to clean weekly. My SO suggested using 2 diffrent sets of boxes that are the same just a set of blue and a set of black and on litter box washing day pick up the soiled ones and switch onto the pre washed clean ones and clean the soiled and set then for the next week and switch agian as our more vocal cat gets very mad and follows me yelling with her ears back when I wash two and toss them out to dry then in 30 mins wash the other two and toss them to dry so they have litter bins. We also use a towel under and switch that weekly (use it to catch litter from paws as carpet can't be washed weekly) .. Would it work or would it set them off having two sets of boxes and l used at a time switching weekly?..

sorry thread maker for hijacking the thread I figured to do it here then make a new one for future searches from other people with the same concerns

Last edited: