or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Probiotics, help?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Probiotics, help?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
My cat is having soft stools resulting from her Antibiotics.
Her stools soft but liquid and she doesn't poop that frequently so I doubt that its diarrhea.. But i've read everywhere that cats under antibiotic usually get this kind of problem. So I should give her probiotics..

What probiotic should I give my cat?
Can I give her probiotic intended for human?
Will generic probiotic work?
I'm not sure that benebac is available here in Philippines.
post #2 of 7
Yup, you can just give human probiotics if its the acidophilus strain. Its usually recommended to just give half a capsule, easily cut with a sharp knife, and since they are so small a children's or low potency is good. You can smack it with the flat end of the knife to make a powder to mix into wet food, or you can stick the capsule in a Greenies Pill Pocket if they have those available by you. Alternatively, most veterinarians have Purina Fortiflora, which is just a couple strains plus a strong flavoring that acts as a appetite stimulant, and can be sprinkled onto wet or dry food.

You don't really have to worry about overdosing on probiotic too much, but excessive amounts are likely to cause uncomfortable gassiness.
post #3 of 7
Yep, you can give human acidophilus - make sure it is pure. The human one is usually 10 million CFU - buy the capsule. Once you open the package, it is important to keep it refrigerated. Just open the capsule and mix it with the food. One whole capsule a day is OK. My cat Bugsy takes 600x that dosage (yep six hundred times - he takes 6 Billion CFU).
I HATE Fortiflora - the first ingredient is Animal Digest - nasty and unnecessary.
Bene-Bac is great, Pro-Bios is very good too. Bugsy Takes Proviable-DC and Align (a probiotic for IBD in humans).
Give it in the morning meal
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Thank you so much guys I can always rely on your quick replies.
Until when will I continue giving probiotic for my cat? Forever? XD
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousPepper View Post
Thank you so much guys I can always rely on your quick replies.
Until when will I continue giving probiotic for my cat? Forever? XD
If your cat has a healthy digestive system, and you see nice normal tootsie roll poops that don't smell too strongly, then there is no need for probiotics. The gut colony can maintain itself fine at that point, its just the antibiotics that can wreck havoc on them and kills the good and bad bacteria alike.
post #6 of 7
Oh, I forgot to say something VERY important: If you are still giving antibiotics, give the Probiotics at least 2 hours before or after you give the antibiotics.
The best thing to do is to give in the other meal - for example: if you give the antibiotics at night, give the probiotic in the morning, or vice-versa.
The reason is that they counter-interact.
The antibiotic will probably kill most of the probiotic, so you will only see full effects after the antibiotics, unless you give her something very strong, like what Bugsy takes.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducman69 View Post
If your cat has a healthy digestive system, and you see nice normal tootsie roll poops that don't smell too strongly, then there is no need for probiotics. The gut colony can maintain itself fine at that point, its just the antibiotics that can wreck havoc on them and kills the good and bad bacteria alike.

Yup but the stool is soft not firm, but not liquidy. Its so soft that some of the poop goes to her butt. But the poop does not smell as strongly as before.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
Oh, I forgot to say something VERY important: If you are still giving antibiotics, give the Probiotics at least 2 hours before or after you give the antibiotics.
The best thing to do is to give in the other meal - for example: if you give the antibiotics at night, give the probiotic in the morning, or vice-versa.
The reason is that they counter-interact.
The antibiotic will probably kill most of the probiotic, so you will only see full effects after the antibiotics, unless you give her something very strong, like what Bugsy takes.
Thank you so much! Will keep that in mind
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Probiotics, help?