Wormer Warning! Piperazine (Diethylenediamine)

pawsandconsider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all,
About a month ago I posted with worries about my indoor/outdoor cat who had a bad reaction to over-the-counter wormer (Seargents). He had become very ill, listless and glassy-eyed. He did pull through okay, but when I called my vet, he said (along with several members of this site) that he would never use over-the-counter wormer because he sees more problems with it than it's worth. I had never considered that wormer purchased at a pet store could be bad (or potentially bad) for pets!

Well, we now purchase our wormer directly from our vet, and he said that one of the active ingredients in OTC wormers is one that he would avoid at all costs (even though it is listed as a perfectly fine drug in his own medical texts). It is called Piperazine (Diethylenediamine). He said to avoid it if it is listed as an ingredient because he sees more sick cats and dogs as a result of ingesting it.

He also said that the best wormer for cats and dogs is Strongid. He said that it should be dosed properly (based on weight of the animal), but that it is very reliable and safe. I wanted to pass along the information to all of you.

Have a happy summer!

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PawsAndConsider

Hey all,
About a month ago I posted with worries about my indoor/outdoor cat who had a bad reaction to over-the-counter wormer (Seargents). He had become very ill, listless and glassy-eyed. He did pull through okay, but when I called my vet, he said (along with several members of this site) that he would never use over-the-counter wormer because he sees more problems with it than it's worth. I had never considered that wormer purchased at a pet store could be bad (or potentially bad) for pets!

Well, we now purchase our wormer directly from our vet, and he said that one of the active ingredients in OTC wormers is one that he would avoid at all costs (even though it is listed as a perfectly fine drug in his own medical texts). It is called Piperazine (Diethylenediamine). He said to avoid it if it is listed as an ingredient because he sees more sick cats and dogs as a result of ingesting it.

He also said that the best wormer for cats and dogs is Strongid. He said that it should be dosed properly (based on weight of the animal), but that it is very reliable and safe. I wanted to pass along the information to all of you.

Have a happy summer!
Thanks for the info! OTC meds are basically a coin toss and getting the message out is a good thing. You have a great summer as well

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i hear so many bad stories about OTC wormers, it's a wonder they're still legal. it's like the company thinks killing the cat is the best way to stop worms. glad your guy got over it okay!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad your cat recovered. A lucky kitty. Thanks for the info. I still can't believe Hartz and Sargeants products are being sold. Many people have no idea how serious and fatal using those products are

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for posting your experience and reinforcing what we here at TCS believe. Most of us old-timers here at TCS constantly post of the risks of OTC medications of any kind, dewormers, flea products, etc.

Getting something cheaper isn't worth the risk of losing our pets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pawsandconsider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As my hubby always says, "Cheap is expensive" (and sometimes harmful or deadly). I had no idea about over the counter meds until Tippy's incident, and I am glad I can share some of our hard-earned knowledge with you all. And thanks for all your help and advice!

justus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your post.  I just picked up my 4 legged room mate and I read on a breeders website a recommendations for Piprizine, is that the same as Piperazine?  Nevertheless because of your post I will stay away from this wormer.