- 2,175 Posts. Joined 9/2005
- Location: California
- Select All Posts By This User
- topicFeeding Catstagged by Anne, 5/22/15
Related Forum Threads
- Is all seafood bad? Last post on 3/16/16 at 2:36am in Cat Nutrition
- Suddenly won't eat wet food Last post on 3/2/16 at 11:09am in Cat Nutrition
- Boyfriend thinks I feed our cat too much.. Last post on 3/6/16 at 1:19pm in Cat Nutrition
- Can't decide what to feed my 8 week old kitten... Last post on 3/13/16 at 6:54pm in Cat Nutrition
- Switching cat's wet food flavor each meal Last post on 2/18/16 at 5:56am in Cat Nutrition
Raw Feeding for Cats: The Ingredients
Last edited: 5/23/15
- Feeding Raw to Cats - Safety ConcernsLast edited: 5/23/15
I used the product for 3 consecutive months and there was no positive change in any of our cats. In fact, they seemed to fight more. We do however, have a home with cathedral ceilings. So mabye...
One day the cat Maurice discovered that not only could he think and talk, but that the rats living on the garbage heap behind the Unseen University (a school of magic) had also gained the ability....
Foster parents take very little responsibility for the health of the animals in their care. Beware unexpected vet costs after adopting from NCR and misinformation. Always investigate your new cat's...
After dusting this little gem for 2 years as my daughter's cat ignored it, I rehomed it for my 12 week kitten. He immediately began racing through it, made 30 foot runs through 2 rooms to dive into...
Although there are a plethora of different kinds of devices on the market designed to shorten and blunt cats' claws, I have always relied on these little clippers because they do the job. They...
- Feeding Raw to Cats - Safety Concerns
Cat needs to gain weight. What to feed?
I would also feed her at least three times a day; if you can, four would be even better - cats often consume more in total when they're fed several smaller meals (not to mention, it's just better for them).
Then (looking at this strictly from a nutritional / weight perspective), I'd start adding real meat to her diet. Little bits of chicken, beef, turkey, any non-enhanced meat (which means no deli bits, etc.).
You can add real meat up to 10% of her diet (after that, you'll need to start balancing the raw meat with bone-in meals and organ meats).
One of my girls, Rachel, is also long-haired and has been thin her entire life. It wasn't until I put my cats on a fully raw diet that she gained enough weight to make me happy. She's still thin, but she's no longer scary thin like she used to be. It's a terrible feeling to pet your kitty and feel all her ribs and hip bones jutting out.
Hope this helps. Good luck!
That said, I wouldn't expect any cat to eat anything if, for example, he/she was experiencing severe stomach acid..............
Then I'd have meals of a kitten or all life stages food available 2-3 times a day. This worked great for my two furballs who grew up healthy and are now a good ~ 9 and 10lbs respectively.
Be sure that clean water is available at all times. I recommend a fountain or two.
Basically, the strategies that are recommended for growing kittens are great for any cat to put on weight.
Even with this precaution the time comes when it becomes necessary to start using a phosphorus binder.
The old studies that seemed to show a low protein diet was advantageous for CRF patients have been invalidated by newer studies that identified a low level of phosphorus as being the primary concern. Use a phosphorous binder if you need to / your vet recommends it, but I would most definitely offer your kitty the highest animal-protein diet you can afford.
You can also get food supplements (GNC has one, but you can find them all over). There are powders you can put in their foods and there is a gel called NutriCal (I think that's the name or very close) and you can give him some of that as well. It's specifically geared to have high calories and nutrients and is formulated for cats.
You can also add some powdered kitten milk replacement to the wet food as well.
But the thread is 2 years old.
if my cat was loosing weight i would give her 1 can and more dry food than what she is getting.i also think that you should give her TREATS like a handful of them, i suggest the brand Temptations treats.i am almost cretin that they will fatten her up,they fatten my cat up big time.
feed the kitten food. and look on the bags. it will say how many calories per cup. often, high protein, grain-free formulas are high in calories. and you can also feed her extra treats.
- Cat needs to gain weight. What to feed?
- › Thoughts on "wet FIP survival", anyone? 2 minutes ago
- › Should I worry about dehydration? 2 minutes ago
- › UTI from E.coli... Should I toss the food? 5 minutes ago
- › Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too! 5 minutes ago
- › Giveaway: Get a FREE quality scratching post by Art Motion & Sound! 8 minutes ago
- › Cooked VS Raw 8 minutes ago
- › Double letter game 9 minutes ago
- › My semi feral cat has disappeared 10 minutes ago
- › Mammary Cancer - just broke my heart - 😹 14 minutes ago
- › Congratulations to our reviewer of the month!!! 17 minutes ago
- › Comfort Zone with Feliway Spray for Cats by Rhondalee
- › The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Tallyollyopia
- › Nashville Cat Rescue - Nashville, TN by NoraLoaf
- › CrackleChute Collapsible Tunnel by forestdweller46
- › Ultimate Touch Cat Claw Clipper by Tarasgirl06
- › Tidy Cats Scoop Tough Odor Solutions with Glade Cat Litter by anjayenunciates
- › Blue Buffalo Naturally Fresh Multi-Cat Clumping Cat Litter by anjayenunciates
- › K&H Thermo-Kitty Heated Cat Bed by roguethecat
- › Whiskas Purrfectly Fish Red Snapper in Natural Juices Food for Cats by DMTmeMYbaby
- › Litter Genie Plus Cat Litter Disposal System with Odor Free Pail... by misterwhiskers
- › Amazing photos! The 31 most helpful cats...
- › From Norway With Love - Picture Of The Week...
- › How to Save Your Cat From These 16...
- › An Inspurrational Quote About The Beauty Of Cats
- › Kitty
- › Should I Get A Kitten As A Gift For My Kids?
- › Picture Of The Week #1566 - Sir Grumpsalot
- › 7 Shakespeare Quotes Matched Up With...
- › My Boney Girl
- › Are You An Expert On Newborn Kitten Rescue?