Cat acts like he's starving

slkanger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male cat, Frankie, that we got 5 years ago when he was 3 years old. He acts like a dog in a cats body. He gets in the garbage, will get on the counters to get to food that's left out to defrost, eats plastic, and wants to eat what I eat. He acts like he's starving all the time.Now he's stared peeing on dirty laundry or anything he comes across. What in the heck is wrong with him? It's like he's a dog trapped in a cats body!

xulili

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
has he lost any weight dispite bing overly hungery? If yes get him checked for diabetus

Do get him to a vet asap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slkanger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a container that has food in it that they eat when they want since I'm not home during the day. But he's always been aggressive towards food, just like some dogs but it's getting worse. I have not noticed that he's gained or lost any weight. I'll probably have to take him to the vet. Thanks.

aleicia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What brand of cat food are you feeding him? Sometimes it's the quality of the cat food that makes your cat act like he's always hungry. Cheap cat food just doesn't have all the protein your cat craves, with premium cat food they eat less because it has more real meat and appear more satisfied. A side note; one of our cats thinks she's a dog too, she howls at the door when the next door neighbor's dog barks, and she's recently started fetching, when my husband plays with her he throws her toy, then she runs and picks it up with her mouth and brings it back to him, it makes me smile every time.

tabster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I definitely agree with the others - get him checked by the vet! We noticed that in our cat a few months ago, he was ALWAYS hungry and we just thought it was because we had put him on a diet. He ate everything and started jumping on the table if we left food out and eating our food and knocking the trashcans over to get food. We ended up taking him to the vet because he looked scraggly and was losing too much weight and found out he has hyperthyroidism.