Looking for a Good Mosquito Repellent/Killer

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've looked online, but would like to know what others use. I need something safe for use in my garden---don't want to harm all the birds, insects, squirrels, etc.---but the mosquitos are absolutely thick already this year. I'm looking for something I can use in the yard itself; I walk thru the garden and the nasty little blood-suckers just swarm everywhere! Help!

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last year I started using the Off clip on fan thing. It works great! They redesigned it, and the new ones are smaller. I bought one of them, too. They really work. You can wear it, or have it beside you when you are sitting out. The fan is very quiet. And you don't have to have that stuff directly on your skin. Not much smell, either.

Breathing it, however, is another matter, that I'd rather not think about. I hate mosquitoes.

Robin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Robin; I thought about buying an Off fan-thingy for myself. I was too cheap last year
, but I think I'll pick one up at Wal Mart tomorrow.
Still need ideas for spraying the yard--anybody?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dry garlic will keep them away, but you have to replace it after you water or it rains. Then there's the smell factor....

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use one from Watkins. Not sure if you have a Watkins distributor there or not.

Also, anything with a high content of Deet will work great, like Deep Woods Off.

All replellants sweat off so you need to reapply periodically.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm one of those lucky people whom mosquitoes seem to love. Fortunately, I don't have a huge problem in my yard, and I just use a spray-on repellent if I'm, say, going for a walk in the woods. I've wondered, though, for those who do have a lot of mosquitoes, whether those bug-zappers work. Have you thought about trying one of those?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bug zappers do work, unfortunately they don't discriminate and kill bad bugs and beneficial.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an off fan, but it only works if there is no breeze and you're just chilling somewhere. In that respect, you might as well just use a candle.

The only one that works consistently for me is the plain old fashioned sprays, and coat all exposed skin appropriately.

If your property is a decent size, you can get to the source of the problem and look for areas that mosquitoes can breed and take them out. Clogged gutters to even just a plastic bag somewhere that has a pool of water in it.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

I have an off fan, but it only works if there is no breeze and you're just chilling somewhere. In that respect, you might as well just use a candle.

The only one that works consistently for me is the plain old fashioned sprays, and coat all exposed skin appropriately.

If your property is a decent size, you can get to the source of the problem and look for areas that mosquitoes can breed and take them out. Clogged gutters to even just a plastic bag somewhere that has a pool of water in it.
Well the Off fan works for me in a breeze, walking around working in my yard.

Here in Illinois we have lots of rain. There is no way to make a dent in the mosquito population by working on your own property. However we are constantly told to get rid of standing water as West Nile kills a few people here every summer.

Those sprays you put on with DEET do work, but I don't want that stuff on my body. And it stinks, too.

I'm one of those people that mosquitoes really like, and I get big welts from their bites. I've tried all the natural products, and they don't work for me.

A woman I know told me recently that her neighbors get together and hire a service to spray their yards each week. Her share is about $20 a week. Some towns around here spray. But mine doesn't.

Robin

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

I guess that stuff works for you? Unfortunately, not for me. I wish.

Robin
This is a very effective natural mosquito repellent, don't doubt it till you try it. It does sound like you need a mosquito yard control treatment and I highly recommend SavaTree...http://www.savatree.com/mosquito-con...FcbBKgodA0UOJg
They are exceptional at tree pruning, feeding, pesticide treatment, and much more!

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried it, and everything else.

Anything I did for my yard wouldn't work because the neighbors won't do anything.

Besides, I'm the one satisfied with the effectiveness of the Off fan, which is why I recommended it. It has improved my life in the summer a great deal.

Robin

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input, everyone.
Our city will start spraying for mosquitos this week; unfortunately, that means they drive thru the alleys, which only tells the mosquitos to head for my back yard.

The biggest concentration of bugs in my yard is in the shade garden, under my neighbor's humongous maple tree. I don't imagine I can grow citronella geranium there.
I don't have standing water that I'm aware of. I check things like that because of West NIle virus and my husband's compromised immune system.

I used to use one from Watkins. Not sure if you have a Watkins distributor there or not.

Also, anything with a high content of Deet will work great, like Deep Woods Off.
No Watkins distributor here; I've thought about the Deep Woods Off, but I'm afraid it will kill my beneficial iinsects and butterflies. At this point, tho, I can't even walk thru my garden without being eaten alive, so I guess maybe it's time to try it.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being from Wisconsin I know mosquitoes and deer flies.

I have extensive gardens and am outside most of the hours when I am not working.
I use the heavy duty sprays. One that has worked well is Ultrathon Insect Repellent 8.
Work on you not the yard for 8 hours (unless you are sweating).
The other is Repel Permanone Clothing & Gear Insect repellent. Works for mosqitoes and ticks. Go to a sporting goods, hunting supplie or a farm and fleet type of store as this is where I got these.
I spray these also on my air kind of like hair spray which means I do have to wash my hair before I go to bed.
Also I cannot think of the name there is a yard guard type of spray you can use if you will be sitting outside. With our firepit we light a smoldering/smoky type of fire and that helps a bit esp if there is a breeze.

I have rain barrels and there is a insect powder that only kills the mosquito larvae not others that I will be starting to use. We got alot of rain this spring so lots of mosquitoes!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Gail, I'll check those out next time I get to the farm store.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

Last year I started using the Off clip on fan thing. It works great! They redesigned it, and the new ones are smaller. I bought one of them, too. They really work. You can wear it, or have it beside you when you are sitting out. The fan is very quiet. And you don't have to have that stuff directly on your skin. Not much smell, either.

Breathing it, however, is another matter, that I'd rather not think about. I hate mosquitoes.

Robin
I agree, these things work great and even appear to work on deer flies as well, which I have a lot of.