My cat's back legs wont work.

mathewmeihofer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today, I noticed my cats back legs were not working at all, He can't even get up, So I took him to the vet, They took a x ray and found no broken bones or anything of that nature, They also did a diabetes test, and it came back negative. The vet told me that it's possible he might of had a "mini stroke" which she said he'd gain his back feet over time, She also said it could possibly be sprained, will, None the less she prescribed my cat some pain medicine, I hope he's not in pain, but just in case, I got him covered. I really hope he get's better over time. I took the day off work to bring him to the vet, I will never ever let a animal suffer, If anyone has any advice, Please let me know, And I ask one thing keep my cat in your prayers. His name is Gator, and he's about 7 years old. I really hope he over comes what ever problem he is having.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS
. I am sorry Gator is having this problem and hopefully it is just a strain of some sort. Lots of healing prayers to Gator that he is better tomorrow, it is so hard on us too when our furbabies are having a problem

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mathewmeihofer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

Welcome to TCS
. I am sorry Gator is having this problem and hopefully it is just a strain of some sort. Lots of healing prayers to Gator that he is better tomorrow, it is so hard on us too when our furbabies are having a problem
I'm 19 years old, kind of a tough person.. It broke my heart to see my own cat not able to walk. I cried for a long time. He's part of my family, and I'll do what I can to help him. Currently I have to give him 2 liquid based pain medicine, and gotta open his mouth up to do it.. It's hard to do, but its for the best.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he cannot walk, can he use a litter tray? If his whole back is paralysed after a stroke or injury of some soret, then you might be looking at some very difficult ddecisions. I am sorry you are going through this with Gator and I hope it is only a temporary problem.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and I'm so sorry that Gator is going through this!

Sudden loss of use in their back legs could also be a sign of a thrombosis, caused when a blood clot is dislodged in a cat that has cardiomyopathy (heart disease). It is the most common in middle aged male cats (usually age 8-9). Did you vet carefully listen to his heart for a heart murmur?

This happened to my 8 year old boy Tigger. They were stymied by it at first because he was otherwise healthy. They thought he injured himself from a fall or that he might have developed a neurologic problem, but he showed no sign of improvement after a few days. While they casually listened to his heart on the first vet visit, they did find a heart murmur on the second when I asked them to listen very carefully for it. He had no previous history of any problems.

Some cats respond very well to medication for this disease. It all depends on the type of heart disease and how advanced it is. If he doesn't show any sign of improvement quickly, I would get him back to the vet for further testing.

If it were a stroke, it wouldn't affect his back legs. Strokes typically affect either the left or right side of the body, not the front versus back.

Sending healing vibes your way....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mathewmeihofer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah the vet checked for a heart murmur and she said he did not have one. She checked for a pulse in his back legs, and he has a pulse back there. Today he seems like my cat, I saw him eating and drinking his water (Crawling) so I take it that's a good sign. And I'll say his name, and He'll go "Meow". he was not like this yesterday, All he did yesterday was just sit in the corner.. So I think he is coming back, I'll make sure to let you guys know on whats happening, and his progress.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My first thought was also a blood clot, though warmth and a pulse speak against that. Just listening to his heart may not reveal cardiomyopathy. Your vet can do a proBNP Test and/or refer you to a cardiologist for an echocardiogram to rule out heart problems.

Lots of for his recovery.

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mathewmeihofer

Today, I noticed my cats back legs were not working at all, He can't even get up, So I took him to the vet, They took a x ray and found no broken bones or anything of that nature, They also did a diabetes test, and it came back negative. The vet told me that it's possible he might of had a "mini stroke" which she said he'd gain his back feet over time, She also said it could possibly be sprained, will, None the less she prescribed my cat some pain medicine, I hope he's not in pain, but just in case, I got him covered. I really hope he get's better over time. I took the day off work to bring him to the vet, I will never ever let a animal suffer, If anyone has any advice, Please let me know, And I ask one thing keep my cat in your prayers. His name is Gator, and he's about 7 years old. I really hope he over comes what ever problem he is having.
Ask the vet to check your cat's potassium levels. That was the problem with my cat - low potassium makes them weak - and adding potassium supplement to his diet has helped ALOT. Good luck. Let us know.

juliekoz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry. This happened to my cat, Bud Abbott last thursday night. We rushed him to the nearest animal hospital, and we were told he was suffering from Cardiomyopathy, heart muscle disease. One hour before that he was a normal 7 year old healthy acting cat. Within another hour, were were told there was nothing that could be done to reverse this. No indication, symptoms, just sudden death.  What caused his back muscles to not work was a blood clot that had travelled to his lower area. Maybe you should take him back to the vet and see about this. Eventually it can end in heart failure, but if found early enough, there are treatments that will help the heart keep pumping like it's supposed to. Good Luck and I'll keep both of  you in my prayers.

intheclouds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you give them potassium. vitamin chew from pet naturals/vermont brand?

This is from years ago but my cat's back legs are weary and he's splitting them apart like he has a bladder or stomach pain.

Poor guy, devastating, all of a sudden this.

Can't get to a vet tonight and it was just a long weekend so don't know what to do or give him if there's anything. home remedy or something I can buy?

I'm going in circles. He is using his box and walking at least.

He was crying for hours night and day maybe he ran into a problem. I had a nervous breakdown and couldn't even be in my house with how loud his meowing was, now he's quiet but an occasional meow

Have a vet across the street but sitting here in agony as I have to apply for vet funding, he has no insurance and I don't have a lot of extra money.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How do you give them potassium. vitamin chew from pet naturals/vermont brand?

This is from years ago but my cat's back legs are weary and he's splitting them apart like he has a bladder or stomach pain.

Poor guy, devastating, all of a sudden this.

Can't get to a vet tonight and it was just a long weekend so don't know what to do or give him if there's anything. home remedy or something I can buy?

I'm going in circles. He is using his box and walking at least.

He was crying for hours night and day maybe he ran into a problem. I had a nervous breakdown and couldn't even be in my house with how loud his meowing was, now he's quiet but an occasional meow

Have a vet across the street but sitting here in agony as I have to apply for vet funding, he has no insurance and I don't have a lot of extra money.
Have you seen this article?  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/no-money-for-vet-care-how-to-find-help-and-save-your-cats-life

Have you reached out to the vet across the street?  Vets will often work with you.

It also might be helpful if you answered some of the questions in your other thread.  It would help to know what he's eating and how long this has been going on.

I'm sorry you are going through this.  However, please stop trying to find supplements!  There is an underlying and serious medical condition.  If you cannot provide vet care, you may want to consider surrendering him.  Your cat is in agony and he needs help.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with TalkingPeanut, intheclouds.  No supplement is going to fix this.  Honestly, if I were you I'd be knocking on your vet neighbor's door with my cat in my hand.  The absolute worst he or she can do is say no.  I sure think it's worth a shot and I bet your poor cat does too.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm with talkingpeanut and LavishSqualor, @intheclouds.  Your boy desperately needs to be seen by a vet. 

And it's very unlikely that the OP of this thread will be able to answer you. 

If anyone has any advice for intheclouds, it's best to use the original thread here, to keep all the information together.