(Whatever the cause was it appears it was genetic as her twin sister started loosing weight and having mouth problems as well. Four months after Clio had her surgery, Elda had her teeth removed to her canines. That seemed to be enough for her and El's been fine ever since. Our vet explained that they probably have an autoimmune disorder that made them allergic to the ligaments that hold the teeth in place.)
For nearly two years Clio was healthy and happy with no signs of any mouth problems. Then this last November she went downhill again and was back to being actually worse then when she was first diagnosed. Severe swelling, bleeding, and drooling, so bad that she wouldn't let me get near her. She started loosing weight again as well.
This time we put her on Prednisilone. It's helping, but it's not like she's back to the normal happy cat she used to be. Even on the medication she's depressed and sleeps a lot. I can tell she's still uncomfortable, though she eats like a pig and is at a great weight. The other problem is that if it's been more than 24 hours since her last dose she starts hurting again, and then I can't catch her to medicate her, and then it's just horrible for both of us at that point. (I've got health problem too and can't move the furniture to get her or chase her down.) In over six months I haven't been able to lower her starting dose of the steroid at all. The only thing that's nice about is that I can get her a 4 month supply for $10 at the local human pharmacy.
The doc mentioned that the next step he'd take is to put her on Cyclosporine. The monthly cost for that type of drug is plain out of our reach. (We've hit a rough financial patch, and I had to stop taking all my asthma medication because we couldn't afford it, which is not healthy but it's not like I had a choice.) My vet is very open to new ideas, so I know I can talk with him about other treatment methods.
Is there any?