What's your cat's height/length?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I think Monet is bigger than most cats (about 13" at the shoulders and about ~19" from nose to butt).

Since I never see other cats, or at least long enough to compare sizes, I am curious to how big Monet is compared to average cats around here!

Wikipedia says 9" is average for height of cat, but doesn't say from shoulders or not.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never measured any of mine by height or length because it's too difficult since they can stretch and scrunch up so much!

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are so elastic, it would be hard to measure.

I see alot of cats because I spend alot of time at a shelter. It is interesting that there are so many shapes and sizes.

One thing that I find interesting about my cats is comparing my two little domestic short haired, female, black cats. Lily looks bigger. She has long legs, a biggish head, and a fluffy coat. Tonya has shorter legs, a small head, and a coat as smooth, sleek, and shiny as a seal. But Lily weighs nearly half a pound less than Tonya's 8 lbs. You would never think that by looking at them.

Their personalities are so diffeent, too.

Robin

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I measured Ritz from her face to the beginning (not end) of her tail about six months ago. I forget now what the length was, I think it was around 15 inches.
I do know her urine reaches 17 inches off the ground. She often pees standing up and I had to find a tall enough plastic container for obvious reasons

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Ari has a 14" tail and it can drag about an inch, so he's about 13' at his shoulders. So he is large. But being nicknamed the White Tornado I am surprised I was able to measure his tail.

Topaz is about an inch shortter (based on rare occasions when they stand next to each other). Her tail is only about 10" long (but packs a wallop!
)

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only type of measurements I've ever heard of people taking with cats was front paws to back paws with the cat stretched out fully, which is done with Maine Coons. I think this is also how they measure for the "world record" type stuff.

Like this:
http://www.keoka.com/sie.htm

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Neko is bigger than most females... TRYING to measure her I read 19-20 inches long (nose to bottom) She weighed 12lbs in Aug and we've cut back on her kibble since then; however, vet said she only needed to lose 1lb or stay the same but no more gain.

klusner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From shoulders to butt 19 to 22 is perfect.Moore than 22 considers fatness among cats.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Draco

I think Monet is bigger than most cats (about 13" at the shoulders and about ~19" from nose to butt).

Since I never see other cats, or at least long enough to compare sizes, I am curious to how big Monet is compared to average cats around here!

Wikipedia says 9" is average for height of cat, but doesn't say from shoulders or not.
Well, after chasing cats all over the house with a tape measure I can tell you any numbers I got are very approximate. I actually ended up measuring the floor tiles where Cali was laying to get her length.

I would think that 9" is smaller than average. My smallest cat weighs in at 6# and is 10" at the shoulder. She's about 15" from nose to the base of her tail. My largest cat is about 11# and is 14" at the shoulder and 24" from nose to the base of her tail. Then add another 13-14" of tail and you have one long cat.

Originally Posted by Klusner

From shoulders to butt 19 to 22 is perfect.Moore than 22 considers fatness among cats.
I don't see how the length of a cat has anything to do with how fat it is. My 11# cat is 24" inches long and definitely not fat. If anything, she's slightly underweight for her length and height.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just measured my cat from shoulders to base of tale and got 24 inches (approximately, give or take half an inch).

I have no idea how tall though.

gosshawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Maine Coon, Gossamer, measures 26" from tip of nose to base of tail.  Add another 16" for his tail for a total of 42". He weighs 19 lbs.  It's easy to measure with a cloth measuring tape used in sewing.  Just catch them whilst they are resting on their side. 

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nel is 15" from the tip of her nose to the base of her tail. Her tail is 9" for a total of 24". She only weighs about 5.5lbs.

Atticus is 22" from the tip of his nose to the base of his tail. His tail is another 11" for a total of 33". He weighs about 15lbs.

I'm not about to go run around outside to measure the other four cats 

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mo is about 13" tall at the shoulders, 22" long nose to butt, tail excluded.

Kismet is about 10" tall at the shoulders, 17" long nose to butt, tail excluded.

Kirby the Giant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Kirby is 14 inches tall at shoulder and 25 inches long nose to the base of the tail. We think he is a bengal mix. He is fit and only about a year.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how tall they are, but they are at least 18 inches long. They didn't fit in the size Large, 18 inch long cat grooming bag I bought. I had to get an X-Large bag that's supposed to be for big cats like Maine Coons. They only weigh 12 pounds and 10 pounds though.