Pet Armor Plus

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Would you use it on your cat?

Pet Armor Plus for Cats

I have a month before I use it since I just used a tube of Revolution I had left over from last year(it had over a year before it's exp date) so I wanted to use that. I already put the Pet Armor Plus for dogs on Dexter(him and Nuts are currently ignoring each other and they never interact close enough for Nuts to get anywhere near where I applied the dog stuff on Dexter) but as I said I had an extra tube of Revolution(which contains nothing against ticks in the cat version) left over so I wanted to get rid of it first.

I want to say that we have both fleas and ticks around here, so I do need a product that fights both, and I have already found 3 tickscrawling around in the house, no doubt brought in by the dog after a walk. Haven't found any fleas but that doesn't mean much.

Would you feel safe using it on your animals or not?

Taryn

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't read the paperwork yet and compare it to Frontline, but I intend to soon. It's supposed to be the same as Frontline, but I don't know if it may have different inactive ingredients.

Merial's patent on fipronil ran out and now a bunch of different companies are jumping all over the opportunity.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does not specify country of orgin thus NO way would I risk it ...

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, apparently I'm the brave one here!

I used Pet Armor Plus on all 3 of the kitties over a week ago, and on my basset hound as well.

The active ingredients and ingredient ratios are IDENTICAL to Frontline Plus, and no, the inactive ingredients are not listed. However, it is the active ingredients that kill and control the flea/tick population on the animals, and the reviews of this product have been mainly positive thus far.

No bad reaction from kitties or dog, and I feel that it is providing adequate preventative measure against fleas and ticks at a fraction of the original's cost.
I believe that if your pet responded well to an application of Frontline Plus, it is most likely that he/she will be fine on Pet Armor Plus as well.

fluffysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm afraid that I don't have any experience using this product with dogs, but it nearly killed my cat!

I gave it a try in an effort to save money, because it does indeed have identical active ingredients to Frontline Plus. Within 24 hours of dosage following all instructions to the letter my poor cat was listless, disoriented, shaking, drooling a lot of thick cloudy mucus, with even thicker yellow mucus coming from her eyes.

Over the phone I said that I'd given her "a flea treatment" and described her symptoms. My vet immediately asked if I'd used "the one from Walmart" (PetAtmor Plus). I told him I had and he instructed me to wash it off using dawn or baby shampoo as soon as possible. He told me that they have seen several animals with identical symptoms from using PetArmor Plus, and that it had killed at least three cats brought to that clinic. They told me that life and death depends on how long the animal is exposed to the PetArmor Plus, so I hung up and washed my cat right away.

Then I took her to an emergency clinic (it was after hours) and the vet there told me that although the active ingredients are the same as Frontline Plus (one of their major marketing points) it's in INactive ingredients are not. I didn't know this, but apparently those inactive ingredients preserve and stabilize the active ones and stop them from becoming toxic. My vet theorized that the cheap inactive substitutes in the PetArmor Plus don't work as well as the name brands, and that is why so many animals are having bad reactions. I guess some batches get exposed to more or less stressful temperatures or whatever, so some of it's probably okay, but the batch I got was definitely tainted or spoiled somehow.

Thankfully my cat made a full recovery, and now that I'm back on the name-brand flea medication she is doing fine and flea free, no negative reaction to the name brand at all. I've contacted Walmart and can only hope they are looking into it.

My experience is only one among thousands, and clearly some animals are fine with it, but I would never risk my pets with this brand again. The few dollars saved just aren't worth the risk that the batch I'd be buying might be bad.

sonya123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried Pet Armor Plus for the first time on my cat about a month ago. She is a house cat but a couple of times a year, she gets lots of bumps and scabs on her skin and I always used Advantage and it cured the problem within a few days. I too, wanted to save money and thought Pet Armor Plus was just a generic for the name brands. My cat's hair is now falling out in clumps, the scabs and bumps have multiplied, and she is very lethargic. I took her to the vet and they advised me to never use Pet Armor Plus. I brought her home today and gave her a bath in Dawn dish washing liquid to remove the Pet Armor Plus. I will give her a couple of days and then apply the Advantage. I don't understand how the makers of this product can claim that it is the same as the name brands, when it clearly is not. My cat has never been so sick. Her hair is all over the house and she is miserable. I saved a few dollars on the flea medicine and now have a $90.00 vet bill and a cat that is very sick. I will never, ever use this product again.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sonya123

I tried Pet Armor Plus for the first time on my cat about a month ago. She is a house cat but a couple of times a year, she gets lots of bumps and scabs on her skin and I always used Advantage and it cured the problem within a few days. I too, wanted to save money and thought Pet Armor Plus was just a generic for the name brands. My cat's hair is now falling out in clumps, the scabs and bumps have multiplied, and she is very lethargic. I took her to the vet and they advised me to never use Pet Armor Plus. I brought her home today and gave her a bath in Dawn dish washing liquid to remove the Pet Armor Plus. I will give her a couple of days and then apply the Advantage. I don't understand how the makers of this product can claim that it is the same as the name brands, when it clearly is not. My cat has never been so sick. Her hair is all over the house and she is miserable. I saved a few dollars on the flea medicine and now have a $90.00 vet bill and a cat that is very sick. I will never, ever use this product again.
You are lucky your cat did not die. Three separate people I know cats died from using this product. None of the the cats where elderly/sick or had any problem with flea and tick medication prior to this.

So I would recommend you do not use it.

spryghte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used PetArmor last month on all 3 cats, one of which is a 8 wk old kitten. No problems what so ever. The reactions I hear about are common in cats as they are sensitive to chemicals. No, not all cats can take this but my 3 did just fine and I'll be administering another dose at the end of the month. We had stopped using Frontline because of the cost. Our indoor cats don't normally require flea treatment but after rescuing the kitten a few weeks ago, he brought us the added gift of fleas. It will take several applications to break the cycle as well as treating the carpet and furniture every two weeks for about 6 weeks but it is worth it for the bundle of fuzzy joy we added to our family.

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i usually use Revolution on my animals because I believe fleas have grown a resistance to frontline plus. However I bought this yesterday for my dog who I don't see fleas on and she is treated monthly with revolution. So far she has displayed no ill effects however I do not think I will continue with it and will return to revolution.

shannonlovespet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 Hey! I just bought Pet Armor to use on my cats and called my vet and thgey told me not to use it. It does not have all the ingredients of Frontline, so most the time doesn't work! I'm still deciding!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also use Revolution the most, but I switch between Revolution and Frontline Plus.  Why?  Because fleas build up a tolerance to things and they don't work on the ones that survive.  Switching between them lessens the chances of this happening.  I have heard good and bad reviews of Pet Armor.  I am skeptical of anything that comes from Wal Mart myself.  They don't always carry the best pet products.  They carry a lot of Hartz stuff and I steer clear of Hartz products.  But I have heard both good and bad reviews.  Supposedly there is even another brand out now that is cheaper and works even better than Pet Armor but I can't recall what it is called?

nochipa zyanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just bought the PetArmor for cats last night. Within 5 minutes of putting it on my cat she was running around all crazy, choking, drooling and foaming at the mouth. I freaked out and immediately googled it. I was shocked. So many people have had the same problem. I immediately washed it off of her (that was awful all by itself) and rubbed her down with a cloth. So, in my attempt to be cheap, I almost killed my cat. She's doing fine today. I'm just glad it didn't take longer for her to exhibit the symptoms. I can't even imagine what would have happened if it had been allowed to completely absorb into her skin. It was a very scary. DO NOT USE PETARMOR!!!!!!!!!!!!

hevnsent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been using Pet Armor on my cats and dogs for the last year. Before doing so I consulted a good friend of mine who is a vet specifically dealing with felines. She informed me that it was equally safe to use as other similar products and the active ingredients, as mentioned in threads before this, are the exact same ingredients as those found in Front Line. 

I was searching through this forum for other answers and stumbled upon this thread. I called my friend to ask about the above comments about adverse reactions thinking that possibly there was new information since she had initially told me it was safe. You should all know that she laughed when I questioned her about it. She stated, without any hesitation, that it is the ACTIVE ingredients that cause a reaction and not the inactive ones. Cats who respond poorly to this medication will indeed exhibit the same reaction from Front Line. She also suggested that, given the described symptoms, the issue more than likely had to deal with the amount of medication given and not the medication itself. She said this is the problem with all flea medications. Every time you put any product on a cats sensitive skin you run this risk.

I asked her if in her practice she recommended this product and she told me no. She told me that there is a significant mark up on products that the vet sell you like Front Line and that telling people they work the same takes money out of her clinic. 

hevnsent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She also state that the medicine was probably not applied properly if such a severe reaction occurred within 5 minutes. She suggested the cat digested it from it being applied to an improper area where the cat could easily groom itself.

chun5925

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Worked at a vet clinic for ten years.  I measure and use pet armor products as well as other non name brand products routinely.  Most cats that have reactions to meds are from improper use and not the product itself.  However, some cats do have different reactions than others.  A reaction does not mean your cat is in immediate danger.  Monitor the animal and please, research how to administer any meds to your animals.  Most of the time the fault lies not with the product but with the application method.  Cats are quite dextrous, and require that the exact amount of meds, which on cats is .5ml, use an old syringe, and not a speck more, and for goodness sakes put it where they can't lick it!!! Common sense people!!!

The one gal that  said she uses it as well was spot on, vets do charge a good deal more for the products they sell, it doesn't mean they are better, just more expensive!

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Using Hartz and Sergeants (Pet Armor) products are like playing Russian Roulette with your pet's life. Is saving a few bucks worth it? Massive chemical burns don't come from 'improper use' they come from a dangerous product. The same goes for seizures and neurological damage in pets where the product was applied according to the directions.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/sergeants.html

Pet Armor was applied as directed here (on dogs it goes between the shoulder blades):

I love my pets too much to risk it.

autumnrose74

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid that I don't have any experience using this product with dogs, but it nearly killed my cat!

I gave it a try in an effort to save money, because it does indeed have identical active ingredients to Frontline Plus. Within 24 hours of dosage following all instructions to the letter my poor cat was listless, disoriented, shaking, drooling a lot of thick cloudy mucus, with even thicker yellow mucus coming from her eyes.

My experience is only one among thousands, and clearly some animals are fine with it, but I would never risk my pets with this brand again. The few dollars saved just aren't worth the risk that the batch I'd be buying might be bad.
That's scary! I think I'll stick with flea-combing. Or food-grade diatomaceous earth.

Last edited:

steven-ursher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Personally I'd stick with ZoGuard, it seems to be the most reliable clone of Frontline to date (but is reasonably priced) and I've heard way too many people complain about adverse reactions to Fiproguard and Pet Armor.. Although if your cat has a reaction to Frontline/ZoGuard you might just want to get a flea comb and some diatomaceous earth, I don't even think its possible to have a reaction to that stuff.

steven-ursher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Although if your pet doesn't have an adverse reaction to on the spot flea treatments it looks like zoguard's down to $28 for a 3 month supply (on domyownpestcontrol) which is pretty good. I guess it depends on whether or not you mind chemicals like that, food grade diatomaceous earth is super cheap, only 8-10 bucks for a whole pound, but it's more labor intensive in comparison

omahamike

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried to return the Pet Armor for cats to WalMart and they refused to let me return it! I wonder why????? It was still shrink wrapped, never opened, but after reading all the posts I just didn't want to take the chance of it killing or making my cats sick. Like someone else said, It's just not worth it to save a few bucks!

Oh well, this is just one more reason not to shop at WalMart!   Now that Sam's gone, the stores are full of Chinese crap anyhow!