Floor Mats For Litter Boxes (Big Mats)

tkaner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What does anyone think about using big door or floor mats fora litter box. I bought a 2 X 3 outdoor mat for a box and if I had thought about not using adryer after washing urine out of it, it would nave been perfect. I put it in front and a little under the box.

Then I was thinking about a big one that the box can sit on and the cats have room to walk all around the box.

I just have to be sure it is cleanable.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a great idea, but there is no need to waste any room on the back. Be sure to get one that has ribs or raised parts.

These will splay the toes apart and allow litter to more naturally fall out while walking.

Personally, I used the gigantic black ribbed mats available at Home Depot (was on sale):

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Its a great idea, but there is no need to waste any room on the back. Be sure to get one that has ribs or raised parts.

These will splay the toes apart and allow litter to more naturally fall out while walking.

Personally, I used the gigantic black ribbed mats available at Home Depot (was on sale):
Those black ribbed mats look like just the ticket. Right now I'm using something similar but it's more of an indoor/outdoor material and is a pain to keep clean. Thanks for sharing.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just suggest watching the cats to make sure they don't mind walking at that particular surface...you don't want litter box avoidance because the mat feels 'icky' to them. That said, that Home Depot mat looks pretty good.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have a rug under our litterbox but it's just a shag type thing. The man that we got Leiki from gave it to us with all of her stuff because she likes to hang out the front and kneed the carpet, she had actually worn a spot on the carpet in his apartment before he got the mat, lol. She doesn't seem to throw litter onto it though, the little bit that does come out is easily vacuumed up (we use Feline Fresh litter).

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have carpet from Menards or Home Depot or whatever it was, where I found it. Pre-cut scraps kind of thing. She's happy with it and I've never noticed litter anywhere around the house.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have an old bathroom rug under each litter box and then a litter mat in front of the boxes. I love the litter mats as they really trap the litter. I then can just take it outside and shake it weekly or vacuum it up too. They are also washable. I have bought them at Target and PetsMart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tkaner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate this. Do they ever pee on them and how do you clean them?

I noticed two boxes right next to each other. Do they pee in one and poop in the other? How often do you scoop.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use industrial rubber mats outside of the litterbox, I noticed when I used carpet the cats would pee on it (They like peeing on carpet! Probably why we don't have any in our house!)

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tkaner

I appreciate this. Do they ever pee on them and how do you clean them?

I noticed two boxes right next to each other. Do they pee in one and poop in the other? How often do you scoop.
They never pee on the mats, but they have pooped on them by accident by sticking their butt out again and digging some more even though the turtle had already poked its head out... lol! Only happened twice to date.

For cleaning, you can take them outside and wash them, but personally I just vacuum them. The two poop times I just gently threw the pewp into the litterbox and sprayed it w/ some cleaner stuff.

They pee and poop in both iltterboxes, I just have two per closet so they always have fresh ones available.

I don't ever scoop really, I rock and ROLL: