or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › how much should i be feeding my kitten?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

how much should i be feeding my kitten?

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
so far im feeding her 3-4 times a day about a spoonful of wet food, she seems a lot hungrier and i can hear her stomach growling or digesting food im not sure

just need some help on the food routine pl0x
post #2 of 30
Young kittens should be given as much as they can eat. They need a lot of calories to grow properly, usually twice as many calories per pound as an adult cat. I prefer to give them canned food 2-3 times a day, and leave a bowl of dry food out all the time for nibbling.
post #3 of 30
How old is your kitten? How much does she weigh? Is she gaining weight with what you're feeding? What is her name? When do we get to see ? (Okay, so those last two questions don't have anything to do with what you feed her. ).

Depending on the size and age of your kitten (and the size of the spoon), my guess is that she needs a lot more food than what you're giving her. If you're feeding wet only, she needs 1.5-2 ounces of food per pound per day.

3-4 times a day is good for a kitten. When she's older it can be cut back to twice a day. Try doubling the amount you're giving her at each feeding. If she eats it all, offer a little more at that feeding. If she doesn't eat all of it, give a little less at the next feeding so you're not wasting food.

If you leave dry food out for her between her wet meals you can keep giving her the same amount. Just keep track of how much of the dry food she eats. You'll be able to tell if she really is hungry.
post #4 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowy View Post
Young kittens should be given as much as they can eat. They need a lot of calories to grow properly, usually twice as many calories per pound as an adult cat. I prefer to give them canned food 2-3 times a day, and leave a bowl of dry food out all the time for nibbling.
how much dry food do you leave out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyCat View Post
How old is your kitten? How much does she weigh? Is she gaining weight with what you're feeding? What is her name? When do we get to see ? (Okay, so those last two questions don't have anything to do with what you feed her. ).

Depending on the size and age of your kitten (and the size of the spoon), my guess is that she needs a lot more food than what you're giving her. If you're feeding wet only, she needs 1.5-2 ounces of food per pound per day.

3-4 times a day is good for a kitten. When she's older it can be cut back to twice a day. Try doubling the amount you're giving her at each feeding. If she eats it all, offer a little more at that feeding. If she doesn't eat all of it, give a little less at the next feeding so you're not wasting food.

If you leave dry food out for her between her wet meals you can keep giving her the same amount. Just keep track of how much of the dry food she eats. You'll be able to tell if she really is hungry.
she is 1 month, 2weeks and 6 days old, i hope unless the breeder told me some bull lol
i honestly have no idea how much she weighs, i've only had her for four days so i can't really tell you if she's been gaining weight she seems the same weight as the day i got her
her names ela :]

some pics for your curiosity :]



post #5 of 30
I just leave a full bowl. . .kittens can free-feed until they stop growing. Than most cats will need their food measured out so they don't get fat.

If she is only 6 weeks old, she's too young to leave her mother and littermates . Kittens should be at LEAST 8 weeks old, but 10 or 12 weeks would be best. Not a very good breeder, IMO. What breed is she? She is very cute .
post #6 of 30
Thread Starter 
well she'll be 7 weeks old 2morrow! yeah the breeder didn't do her greatest, she doesn't even know the breed :[
post #7 of 30
Oh, when someone says "breeder", I assume they mean a purebred breeder. . .but then I guess anybody who breeds their animals is technically a breeder! So she's a domestic shorthair, a moggie, a "just plain cat", LOL. I don't care for purebreds, I prefer moggies, so nothing wrong with that! Although I do hope you didn't pay much, if anything. No reason to pay people to produce more domestic kittens. I can't give kittens away for free! There are just too many of them.

There can be issues with kittens taken too young. Sometime they don't know their proper kitty manners, and may bite/scratch/play too rough with humans. This can be overcome with patience, but it is always better if they learn those lessons from momcat.
post #8 of 30
Thread Starter 
is there no way i can actually find out what breed she is?

yeah when i got her she was pooping and peeing all over the place but it didn't take long for her to catch on with the litter box, now she pee's in the litter box and poops right next to it :L

she does bite a little too hard and i had her nails trimmed the other day, so the scratching is bearable.
post #9 of 30
IMO, you can't overfeed a kitten.

What you are doing with wet is fine, now I would just supplement that with a bowl of a quality kitten dry food that you leave out 24x7. Just keep the bowl full at all times, that way kitty can nibble.

Your cat isn't going to starve either way, but that method ensures they reach maximum size and have all nutrients needed for full development. Approaching 12 months of age, you will want to schedule feed, as free feeding is too many calories for maintenance for most cats.
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by emil View Post
is there no way i can actually find out what breed she is?
If she doesn't have papers, the breed is black domestic shorthair. Unlike dogs, most cats are not a particular breed. She sure is a cutie pie.

Litterbox training and how hard to bite/scratch during play is usually learned from mommy and siblings up until about 12 weeks of age. She was very young to be separated, so might be a little slower learning proper kitty etiquette since she has no one to teach her or emulate.
post #11 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducman69 View Post
IMO, you can't overfeed a kitten.

What you are doing with wet is fine, now I would just supplement that with a bowl of a quality kitten dry food that you leave out 24x7. Just keep the bowl full at all times, that way kitty can nibble.

Your cat isn't going to starve either way, but that method ensures they reach maximum size and have all nutrients needed for full development. Approaching 12 months of age, you will want to schedule feed, as free feeding is too many calories for maintenance for most cats.
my kitten threw up the dry food that i put out for her couple days back, im afraid to give her any dry food because she might throw up again


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducman69 View Post
If she doesn't have papers, the breed is black domestic shorthair. Unlike dogs, most cats are not a particular breed. She sure is a cutie pie.

Litterbox training and how hard to bite/scratch during play is usually learned from mommy and siblings up until about 12 weeks of age. She was very young to be separated, so might be a little slower learning proper kitty etiquette since she has no one to teach her or emulate.
yeah no papers, so domestic shorthair? lol i'll just call her my black panther if anyone asks what she is again :]
i'm having a bit of a hard time getting her to poop in the litter box, do you have any suggestions or tips on that matter? much appreciated
post #12 of 30
Thread Starter 
also, how long can i leave out water and food? can i leave out the water more than a couple hours? as for the food i usually clean it up if shes hasnt touched it after her meal
post #13 of 30
Is it kitten food you are feeding her? As Duncman69 said just leave a bowl of hard kitten food out at all times. (along with the soft). She probably just ate too fast and threw up that happens to even older cats. She is a baby and just learning. If you aren't comfortable leaving hard food down when you aren't home then at least double if not triple the wet you are feeding her. They should be given all they want to eat.
post #14 of 30
she should always have access to fresh water 24/7. Fill up a bowl of water and leave it there. What kind of food are you feeding her? What does the back of the can say? It should give you a quantity to feed daily for a kitten her age and size. She should be on kitten food.
post #15 of 30
Kitty is so young, I would confine her to a single room that you like to chill in that has litterbox, food, and water. That in itself should help w/ litterbox use. Don't force a cat to use a litterbox, but you can call them to it or place them in there from time to time and even gently push the litter with her paws or with your scoop and praise her like she's pooping gold nuggets for you. It helps if its the same litter brand she was using. The litterbox should be a chillaxed place, as they can feel a little vulnerable doing their business. Make sure you are cleaning the litterbox daily.

For water, it should be out 24x7 as mentioned.

For puking, if she was hungry she might have scarfed and barfed, it happens. When they get used to the idea that food is always there, they tend to learn to nibble. If not, toss a clean golf ball in the bowl, and kitty will have to push it out of the way to get to the kibble which slows things down.
post #16 of 30
Thread Starter 
i keep her in my room, which has her litterbox, her food and water

and how exactly does the golf ball help?
post #17 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNJULZ View Post
she should always have access to fresh water 24/7. Fill up a bowl of water and leave it there. What kind of food are you feeding her? What does the back of the can say? It should give you a quantity to feed daily for a kitten her age and size. She should be on kitten food.
im feeding her purina proplan, elegant medleys canned food and just today i bought purina friskies but i messed up and got the adult kind, could i still feed it to her?
post #18 of 30
If your kitten is gobbling down food so fast that he becomes nauseous and throws up I'd suspect he's a hungry little kitty. Try giving him a little more and feed more often until you get him on 4 feedings a day. If that's not possible, then leave a bowl of dry kibble - start with one half cup and see how quickly he eats it all up. Kibble is O.K. to leave out, it's wet food that dries out and becomes unpalatable if it sits around for a long time.

Our two "teenagers" (now 7 months old) were 2 months old when they came home from the vet's. I asked how much to feed them. The answer was to give them as much as they want to eat.

I feed 4 times a day, Proplan kitten, both canned and dry. I prefer that they eat wet. Started with 1/4 can for each kitten at each of 4 feedings (that's one can per kitten per day), and a sprinkle of dry food added. These are the small cans, BTW.

In a couple of weeks once they began to gobble that down and look around for more I upped the amount of canned food at each feeding.

They're now getting 3/4 of a small can apiece at each of 4 feedings. If they finish that up right away they get a Tablespoon of dry kibble in addition at each feeding.

I think they're beginning to slow down now - I certainly hope so since Mr. Poe is a solid 9 pound, very active and muscular young cat and Domino is not far behind.
post #19 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
If your kitten is gobbling down food so fast that he becomes nauseous and throws up I'd suspect he's a hungry little kitty. Try giving him a little more and feed more often until you get him on 4 feedings a day. If that's not possible, then leave a bowl of dry kibble - start with one half cup and see how quickly he eats it all up. Kibble is O.K. to leave out, it's wet food that dries out and becomes unpalatable if it sits around for a long time.

Our two "teenagers" (now 7 months old) were 2 months old when they came home from the vet's. I asked how much to feed them. The answer was to give them as much as they want to eat.

I feed 4 times a day, Proplan kitten, both canned and dry. I prefer that they eat wet. Started with 1/4 can for each kitten at each of 4 feedings (that's one can per kitten per day), and a sprinkle of dry food added. These are the small cans, BTW.

In a couple of weeks once they began to gobble that down and look around for more I upped the amount of canned food at each feeding.

They're now getting 3/4 of a small can apiece at each of 4 feedings. If they finish that up right away they get a Tablespoon of dry kibble in addition at each feeding.

I think they're beginning to slow down now - I certainly hope so since Mr. Poe is a solid 9 pound, very active and muscular young cat and Domino is not far behind.
i started with the 1/4 of a can for each meal as well, but then i realized she ate that really quick and was looking for more, i was unsure whether or not to give her more, but now im feeding her maybe half a can each mean maybe less.
7 im afraid to give her dry food because in the past she was throwing it up, im thinking of switching to a raw diet.
post #20 of 30
Thread Starter 
each meal *
post #21 of 30
Emil - you don't say what size can. What does the back of the can say? You are not feeding her enough, that's why she's throwing up. Feed her however much you are feeding her now only increase it to 4 times a day (of soft) or feed her the soft twice a day and leave hard out all day long (along with water). She will stop throwing up when you start feeding her enough.
post #22 of 30
Thread Starter 
it's those small canned foods for kittens, she finished her last one today and i threw it away so i cant tell you the actual size
post #23 of 30

My Kitten Figuero is 8 weeks old how much should I be feeding him? I feed him when he Meows but thats like every 2 hours 

post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducman69 View Post

IMO, you can't overfeed a kitten.

What you are doing with wet is fine, now I would just supplement that with a bowl of a quality kitten dry food that you leave out 24x7. Just keep the bowl full at all times, that way kitty can nibble.

Your cat isn't going to starve either way, but that method ensures they reach maximum size and have all nutrients needed for full development. Approaching 12 months of age, you will want to schedule feed, as free feeding is too many calories for maintenance for most cats.

 

Can they really be undersized from not eating enough as a kitten? I worry about this because my kitten seems to have weird eating habits. Sometimes he'll scarf down a while bowl of canned food, sometimes he'll eat half of it, then come back and finish the second half after a few minutes. I try not to leave canned food out longer than 20-30 minutes so it doesn't spoil. Occasionally he will eat a certain amount of his canned food and won't finish at all. There doesn't seem to be any real reason for it, and he's happy and energetic, but I do hope he's getting enough food.

post #25 of 30

Feed kittens as much as they want! I would not give a 6 weeker dry food as I think most kibble to big for a baby that size. Plus I don't do kibble but that is another story. If you need to do kibble please do no grain and a kitten formula so the bites are smaller. The store will exchange an incorrectly bought bag.

 

I do not worry about my canned food spoiling like some peeps. I leave it out until it is gone usually in 4 hours or so. With raw that is another story.

 

Buy 5.5 oz can of kitten, or all life stages, no grain wet food, cut it into thirds and feed every 4-6 hours. And if you have already bought and opened other dry foods-looks like you did-put some of that out in between meals of wet  24/7. Do not worry about them getting fat until they are much older.

post #26 of 30

Take her to a vet for a check up and ask her/him for a guidelne on feeding which your "breeder" should have told you.  

post #27 of 30

I came here from google, searching for a good, detailed itinerary about how much my kitten should be eating for proper development, but not only were none of my specific questions answered, I feel like I have a bit of INPUT to add here.

This thread is basically over, but I feel it can't hurt for others finding this link via google or whatever else, such as myself.

Kittens CAN NOT eat regular adult cat food for a while, I'm not sure the EXACT age, but if it's not an adult cat, it is still very much a kitten, it still needs kitten food. Kittens can't ingest it/digest it properly, so it's basically like not eating. Kittens can START eating dry kitten food at a very early age, but it can't be the sole dietary source for a while. As for when a kitten can leave its mother, that varies not only breed to breed, but kitten to kitten. And, unfortunately, sometimes circumstances don't allow kittens to be able to stay with their mother the optimal time. Most of the time, if the kitten is weened from its mother and using the litter box, it's good to go.

Back to food, I personally don't like feeding my cats wet food, because I feel it's a lot easier for your cat to become overweight or lazy when that's a main staple in their diet. Most of the time it's basically junk food. However, for kittens, they need soft/moist foods in their diet still, or they can become constipated or have really painful, dry poop.

Like others said, cats don't really overeat. It's good to have some dry food out at all time, regardless of how old your cat is, but it's also important to remember that it gets stale. You don't like eating stale cereal or crackers do you? Neither does your cat like eating stale cat food. In other words, don't leave out so much that it gets gross before it's eaten. Fresh water is also really, really important. Also, an interesting cat-water factoid I saw somewhere recently is that, depending on where your tap water comes from, your regular water source might have some mineral deposits that can hurt your cat's stomach, not necessarily to the point of causing medical problems, but enough to cause a stomach ache. So sometimes it helps to leave water sitting out a couple minutes or so after filling the bowl/whatever you use before putting it down for your cat. Not 100% positive on credibility of that, especially since I no longer have the source, but it's there for anyone who might know what I'm talking about/want to be safe just in case.

post #28 of 30

I've been feeding canned food almost exclusively to my kitten, but now I'm doing four portioned meals of canned food spaced out every four hours, with Blue Buffalo dry kitten food available in his bowl at other times. Seems like a good compromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-7CatFriendly View Post
 

I came here from google, searching for a good, detailed itinerary about how much my kitten should be eating for proper development, but not only were none of my specific questions answered, I feel like I have a bit of INPUT to add here.

This thread is basically over, but I feel it can't hurt for others finding this link via google or whatever else, such as myself.

Kittens CAN NOT eat regular adult cat food for a while, I'm not sure the EXACT age, but if it's not an adult cat, it is still very much a kitten, it still needs kitten food. Kittens can't ingest it/digest it properly, so it's basically like not eating. Kittens can START eating dry kitten food at a very early age, but it can't be the sole dietary source for a while. As for when a kitten can leave its mother, that varies not only breed to breed, but kitten to kitten. And, unfortunately, sometimes circumstances don't allow kittens to be able to stay with their mother the optimal time. Most of the time, if the kitten is weened from its mother and using the litter box, it's good to go.

Back to food, I personally don't like feeding my cats wet food, because I feel it's a lot easier for your cat to become overweight or lazy when that's a main staple in their diet. Most of the time it's basically junk food. However, for kittens, they need soft/moist foods in their diet still, or they can become constipated or have really painful, dry poop.

Like others said, cats don't really overeat. It's good to have some dry food out at all time, regardless of how old your cat is, but it's also important to remember that it gets stale. You don't like eating stale cereal or crackers do you? Neither does your cat like eating stale cat food. In other words, don't leave out so much that it gets gross before it's eaten. Fresh water is also really, really important. Also, an interesting cat-water factoid I saw somewhere recently is that, depending on where your tap water comes from, your regular water source might have some mineral deposits that can hurt your cat's stomach, not necessarily to the point of causing medical problems, but enough to cause a stomach ache. So sometimes it helps to leave water sitting out a couple minutes or so after filling the bowl/whatever you use before putting it down for your cat. Not 100% positive on credibility of that, especially since I no longer have the source, but it's there for anyone who might know what I'm talking about/want to be safe just in case.


 

From everything I've read, and everything I've been told by the good people here, there is indeed wet cat food that is essentially "junk food," but there is also good, nutritious wet food -- and the nutritious wet food is the best for cats.

 

So even though it's more expensive, I feed my cat primarily Blue Buffalo, supplemented by Blue Buffalo dried food and occasionally some meals from the junkier grocery store brands if I haven't had time to restock on the "good stuff." As per that cat nutritional site everyone posts in these discussions, I've learned to make sure the first ingredient is always an actual food -- like chicken, turkey, etc -- and to avoid cat food that has meat byproducts.

post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan View Post
 

I've been feeding canned food almost exclusively to my kitten, but now I'm doing four portioned meals of canned food spaced out every four hours, with Blue Buffalo dry kitten food available in his bowl at other times. Seems like a good compromise


 

From everything I've read, and everything I've been told by the good people here, there is indeed wet cat food that is essentially "junk food," but there is also good, nutritious wet food -- and the nutritious wet food is the best for cats.

 

So even though it's more expensive, I feed my cat primarily Blue Buffalo, supplemented by Blue Buffalo dried food and occasionally some meals from the junkier grocery store brands if I haven't had time to restock on the "good stuff." As per that cat nutritional site everyone posts in these discussions, I've learned to make sure the first ingredient is always an actual food -- like chicken, turkey, etc -- and to avoid cat food that has meat byproducts.

Most of what easily available to cat owners around here at least is very junky, but that is a good point. You really should pay attention to what EXACTLY you're feeding your cat.

Myself and my family firmly believe AGAINST keeping out cats indoors at all times for a variety of reasons, but in regards to nutrients because cats can get out and hunt the local fauna, so get a good dose of meat and exercise in one go. Naturally you can't let a 7 week old kitten out in the wild by itself, but adult cats are typically able to get out and contribute for themselves a little bit. Cats are typically very independent and need that ease of access to explore the outdoors.

post #30 of 30

NOTE: Mod Action: This thread is several years old now.  Since the thread primarily discusses young kittens I am moving this from Care & Grooming to Pregnant Cats & Kitten Care. :)

 

 

For more information on older kitten nutrition I recommend looking through the articles and the Nutrition section of our forums. (http://www.thecatsite.com/f/64/cat-nutrition)  Some of our members may also be able to point you to books and professional journals on cat nutrition available from booksellers or perhaps your local library as well.

 

Here are a few articles that may interest you:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-much-food-should-i-feed-my-cat

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/choosing-the-right-food-for-your-cat

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/what-makes-the-best-canned-cat-food

 

I believe the above articles and more are all listed here; featured in our Feline Nutrition Month this past January: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/270384/announcing-feline-nutrition-month-at-thecatsite-com

 

For younger kittens; this is the place to look and ask questions. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › how much should i be feeding my kitten?