TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I'm such a Pack Rat!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm such a Pack Rat!

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Since I'll be moving in the next couple of months and since I had a long weekend, I thought it would be a great opportunity to clean out my closets & dresser.

What a mess! I swear, I didn't realize how many clothes I have! I bought 3 Rubbermaid totes and filled them completely full of winter & fall clothes that I'll be needing. I ended up doing 7 loads of wash this weekend (some of the clothes hadn't been worn in quite a while and had a musky stinch to them!).

I went through every single article of clothing I had and folded, ironed & hung them up. I was shocked to find how many pair of underwear I have! I counted them...and I've got 48 in my dresser drawer & of course the pair I'm wearing! Who on Earth needs that many pair of undies? I lost count on how many pairs of socks I've got....last number I counted was 52! How obnoxious is that!

I'm really dreading my move. I've got so much junk that I've accumulated through the past couple of years...and half the stuff I don't even use, but I hate to get rid of it. I'm such a packrat! I still have a least 3 more totes full of clothes that I need to pack away, but I can't pack away everything yet. Sounds like I need to have a garage sale or something. Plus, someone needs to take my dang checkbook away so I don't keep buying more clothes and junk! I did find my "new" bathroom stuff that I bought last year when they got clearanced out at WalMart. I'm so excited to use them! The shower curtain, rug, toothbrush holder and handsoap container's have cats on them! Just the cutest things I've ever seen! By the time I'll move, I'll probably forget where I put them & buy new ones! Jeez...I think I've got a Shopping problem!
post #2 of 25
Just curious, how do you move cats? Of course they go last but I cant imagine trying to move without freaking out Zoey

I just took a bunch of clothes to the salvation army lol.. its amazing how much stuff you can accumulate and never use.
post #3 of 25
Two words: Yard sale!
post #4 of 25
Thread Starter 
I'd love to have a yard sale, but I always hate to part with the stuff. It's like a guilt thing in my head "You can't sell that! That shirt cost 40 bucks and you've only worn it twice (even though I haven't worn it in 3 years!)".
post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicycat
Just curious, how do you move cats? Of course they go last but I cant imagine trying to move without freaking out Zoey

I just took a bunch of clothes to the salvation army lol.. its amazing how much stuff you can accumulate and never use.
Sicy, This is the first time I've had to move my cats further than across town. I'll be traveling with them for almost an hour & a half. I'm not sure what I'm going to do or even how to do it. My cats hate traveling to Vet and it's only about a mile away...it's gonna be a long trip!

I'll be using a U-haul for the junk and hopefully my Dad will drive it for me. I'll probably pack the girls in the backseat of my car. Not sure how, but I'll figure out a way. I don't know how Tammie did it with her two kitties and for as long as she did.
post #6 of 25
When I moved from one end of the state, to the other, half a Dramamine worked wonders on Peanut. He would absolutely FREAK at going anywhere and the Dramamine got him totally stoned. I checked this out with my vet, first.

As for getting rid of stuff, I did that a couple of weeks ago. Some of my three-year-old gabardine pants were looking kind of ratty and I had just bought new khakis so - off the Goodwill bin!
post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 
I gave quite a bit of stuff to my Mom. But she's so silly at times...she'll be nice and wash the clothes that are dirty & she puts the things I gave her BACK into MY closet! After all the loads of wash today, I managed to find 4 shirts that I gave her back into my closet!
post #8 of 25
Originally posted by Shell
Quote:
I was shocked to find how many pair of underwear I have! I counted them...and I've got 48 in my dresser drawer & of course the pair I'm wearing! Who on Earth needs that many pair of undies? I lost count on how many pairs of socks I've got....last number I counted was 52! How obnoxious is that!
Hey Shell!!! You forgot to tell us how many BRAS you have! (just kidding) I'm always stocking up on stuff too, especially if it's on sale.
Quote:
How obnoxious is that!
Not nearly as obnoxious as this:
One of my neighbors lived alone and finally decided to move last March. So much extra stuff had accumulated over the years that she had to rent one of those HUGE dumpsters that people usually rent only when they're re-roofing their house. The dumpster was filled to the top and practically overflowing with all the stuff she threw away.
post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 
Yeah...your neighbor's pack rat problem is obnoxious! I bet people had a hayday going through all that stuff!

Lorie, since ya asked about the bras...I happened to count them too. I have 21 bras in my dresser right now plus the one I'm wearing. Funny thing is...I just bought 2 new ones on Friday because I couldn't find any around this place. Some how they (and all those undies) were in a clothes basket in the closet. I must have thrown them in there when I was being lazy and didn't feel like putting them away. I think I'm stocked up for a while!
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Shell
Yeah...your neighbor's pack rat problem is obnoxious! I bet people had a hayday going through all that stuff!

Lorie, since ya asked about the bras...I happened to count them too. I have 21 bras in my dresser right now plus the one I'm wearing. Funny thing is...I just bought 2 new ones on Friday because I couldn't find any around this place. Some how they (and all those undies) were in a clothes basket in the closet. I must have thrown them in there when I was being lazy and didn't feel like putting them away. I think I'm stocked up for a while!
22 bras?!?! LoL, I have five! Shell, maybe you do have a bit of a problem...

I'm a pack rat too. When I move away for college, I'm going to be in big trouble. I have a whole storage room downstairs of stuff that I'm just not ready to part with yet.
post #11 of 25
Shell that is not as bad as you think. My last count of shoes..please don't flame me...was 125 pair that was about 4 months ago It seems I have a shoe fetish or something...*Stands up*...Hello My name is Blondiecat and I'm a shoe freak
post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
125 shoes? Wow..that's alot! I haven't counted the shoes, but I'm guessing that I've got at least 30 and 75% of them I haven't worn in years. I've never been shoe crazy...maybe that's a good thing! I'd be in debt for sure!
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by blondiecat
Shell that is not as bad as you think. My last count of shoes..please don't flame me...was 125 pair that was about 4 months ago It seems I have a shoe fetish or something...*Stands up*...Hello My name is Blondiecat and I'm a shoe freak
I had 37 pair of shoes at one point, lol. Most of them were only worn once or twice and went to the Salvation Army. I only have about 7 now.

Can I ask a question, though?

Where on Earth do you keep 125 pair of shoes? LoL.
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by sockiesmom
Where on Earth do you keep 125 pair of shoes? LoL.
We have a room in our house that is nothing but a catch-all room so most of them stay stacked in there in their boxes. Yeah I have some that have only been tryed on and never walked in I really need to do something about this problem. *Right hand on my chest* I swear I will not buy another pair of shoes.....At least until I get rid of some that I already have
post #15 of 25
We've moved cats every time we've moved. It depends upon the cat. The two I have now you just need to make sure they have a litter box, food, and water in the back of the car and they travel very well after the first hour (the first hour is howling because they think they're going to the vet). When you move several days you try to find a hotel that will take animals, if not, sometimes you sneak them in anyway. When I moved down to SD from Denver I had a 17 year old cat and we had to leave her in the car, but I left my coat in there with her and in the morning brought her into the hotel room before the staff got there. When I was growing up my parents used cat carriers, but they'd still let the animals out for a walk twice a day.
post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by TTMom
We've moved cats every time we've moved. It depends upon the cat. The two I have now you just need to make sure they have a litter box, food, and water in the back of the car and they travel very well after the first hour (the first hour is howling because they think they're going to the vet). When you move several days you try to find a hotel that will take animals, if not, sometimes you sneak them in anyway. When I moved down to SD from Denver I had a 17 year old cat and we had to leave her in the car, but I left my coat in there with her and in the morning brought her into the hotel room before the staff got there. When I was growing up my parents used cat carriers, but they'd still let the animals out for a walk twice a day.
Dumb question here...do you buckle the cat carrier down with seat belt? I've often wondering about that when I've taken them to the Vet. I would hate to see them in the carrier with out being securely fastened in and have a bad wreck & the carrier gets thrown around with them in it. But on the other side, would it be worse if it was buckled down?
post #17 of 25
OMG I have over 100 pairs of undies! I have everyday ones, ones I don't wear and just have because they are pretty , and speical ones and of course the ones that don't fit right now but WILL someday...i hope anyway!

Bras I stock up on because i have a hard time finding my size
post #18 of 25
Thread Starter 
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with a ton of undies! I know what you mean about having different ones of different occasions.
post #19 of 25
i know what you mean shell, i am too, i have so much stuff stored in those plasic totes its awful, it was in bags, but the dollar store has those big nice plastic totes cheap, and they are better, i keep telling myself, i might need that someday, and you know what? that day never comes i guess im a pack rat also, i have a friend at work that still has all her sons clothes and toys, and baby furniture, and he is 32yrs old now, now thats saving things. i guess we just cant help it.
post #20 of 25
Shell, if you donate some of your clothes to a thrift store, they will give you a reciept that you can use as a deduction on your income tax. It is considered a charitable donation if it is a non-profit thrift shop like the Salvation Army or a hospital-based one. (Most hospitals around here have thrift shops run by their auxiliary).
post #21 of 25
our walmart has bins outside of it that you can put bags of clothes in. I try to go through my stuff twice a year and get rid of it.
post #22 of 25
I'm jealous of Blondiecat - I only have about 60 pairs of boots and shoes and at least 10 pairs are purple. My house has a spare closet and that is MY shoe closet. I DID let Bill put his dress boots in there, though.
post #23 of 25
Girl!!! You should have a garage sale or give them to GoodWill or Salvation Army!!! My hubby, since he lived here in the 80s, by the time we met, he and I had so much crap!!! I finally decided that every season I send stuff to GoodWill, so the end of fall/winter we give away the winter clothes and then end of summer, we give away the summer clothes. That way we can always buy new stuff but you be surprised how much stuff accumulates after 6 months!
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally posted by katl8e
I'm jealous of Blondiecat - I only have about 60 pairs of boots and shoes and at least 10 pairs are purple. My house has a spare closet and that is MY shoe closet. I DID let Bill put his dress boots in there, though.
glad i'm not the only one with a clost full of shoes!
post #25 of 25
Man, I thought I had way too many clothes, and I only have about 3 bras (that I actually wear!), 10 or 12 pairs of undies and about 15 pairs of socks! But the rest of my stuff makes up for that! I have 3 large Rubbermaid tote boxes that are filled to capacity with craft stuff INSIDE, and in our old "storage house" I have probably 3 more boxes of stuff, and of course there is all the rest of my stuff that I can't part with! But I don't buy clothes that much, just "stuff"!! lol Good luck trying to sort it all out!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I'm such a Pack Rat!