Her eyes are changing color!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Queen Eva is a black cat with golden eyes. Until the past week. Now I notice they are changing hue and are almost green. Still gold in some lights, but...definitely more green now.

Anyone else experience this kind of eye color change as a kitten turns into a cat?

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not changing as they grow up, but my golden eyed black cats definitely have pale green eyes at times - a most lovely color. I have no idea why they change. It doesn't seem to be connected to light or reflection.

Robin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

Not changing as they grow up, but my golden eyed black cats definitely have pale green eyes at times - a most lovely color. I have no idea why they change. It doesn't seem to be connected to light or reflection.

Robin
Thanks Robin. Perhaps that is what is going on with Queen Eva too. I had a friend over yesterday and she noticed it, saying "I thought Queen Eva's eyes were yellow? they look greenish today" I was actually glad she mentioned it because up til then I thought I was going crazy

erinroro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is how my black cat Extra's eyes are too! I don't know if they change depending on mood
or what!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? It can take up to 2 years for an eye color to 'settle' depending of the cat. Sometimes even hormonal things can cause the eye color to change. I've met few queens who have had their eye colors get stronger after a pregnancy.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Queen Eva is nine months old. She was spayed at 5 1/2 months. I believe she had a short silent heat shortly before her spay, but can't know for sure.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in. It really helps to know that this is not an uncommon occurrence.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure if the same is true in animals, but my eye colour changes all the time. It depends on the weather and my mood, lol. They'll go from an extremely pale blue, to a bright blue, to grey, and all the colours in between. Our 11 month old kittens seem to do the same.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jade is a golden eyed black cat, and sometimes, regardless of lighting, her eyes are pale green, same with Baby's eyes.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lynxx's
eyes changed a few times before he was a year old. Luna's eyes changed from gold to green when she was about 5 months old, she's 10 months old now and I hope the green stays! Midnight's eyes are now at 7 months old beginning to a get a little green in them.

Queen Eva's eyes are turning green? I bet her eyes are really pretty. All black cat with green eyes!

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our Flynn at 11 months;

He didn't get this eyecolur until he was about three years old (in the picture he is 5 years old, his eyes are a bit greener IRL)

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sootys eyes are the same his are golden with a hint of green the green in more concentrated around the pupil of his eye

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With mixes eye color can change a lot. As they get older, the eye color will eventually set (after a few years). Most mixes end up with a gold-green eye color that changes depending on mood. Ling (our black & white mix) varied with the gold-green as a young kitten/cat. She's about 6 yrs old now and her eye color is a nice pretty solid green.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by -_aj_-

Sootys eyes are the same his are golden with a hint of green the green in more concentrated around the pupil of his eye
That's what I've noticed with Queen Eva as well. I'm glad my friend noticed, and I'm glad you all posted or I'd think I was going crazy. Yesterday they were pure gold all day.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you can just make it out on this pic although you cant see the colour properly

the inner circle is darker being the green bit Flash's eyes are the same in heres you can make it out

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Queen Eva is a black cat with golden eyes. Until the past week. Now I notice they are changing hue and are almost green. Still gold in some lights, but...definitely more green now.

Anyone else experience this kind of eye color change as a kitten turns into a cat?
My cat, Hoot, is 14 years old and last year one of her eyes started changing color to brown. I took her to the vet and he said this was common in older cats and unless I started noticing ulcer type bumps on the cornea there was nothing to be concerned about. Your cat is young and it's probably just a normal part of your cat's maturation process. You can still ask the vet to help alleviate your concerns.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mimosa - that's partially true (re: eye color on purebreds). In many breeds the eye color is supposed to be intense and not hazel (green/gold). But in some breeds eye color is more/less immaterial to coat color.

Most times you see the hazel or mixed colors on non-purebreds. Now Russian Blues are supposed to have intense green eye color when adults and Siamese are supposed to have dark blue (and sometimes so dark it looks purple) eye color. Most other pointed cats (Himalayans or Ragdolls) tend to have a lighter blue color then the dark blue of a purebred Siamese.

And most times the pointed mixes tend to have light to medium eye color too.

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Mimosa - that's partially true (re: eye color on purebreds). In many breeds the eye color is supposed to be intense and not hazel (green/gold). But in some breeds eye color is more/less immaterial to coat color.

Most times you see the hazel or mixed colors on non-purebreds. Now Russian Blues are supposed to have intense green eye color when adults and Siamese are supposed to have dark blue (and sometimes so dark it looks purple) eye color. Most other pointed cats (Himalayans or Ragdolls) tend to have a lighter blue color then the dark blue of a purebred Siamese.

And most times the pointed mixes tend to have light to medium eye color too.
I should've quoted you.

I reacted to your statement that in mixes the eye colour can change a lot and needs time to settle. That's the same for purebreds.

Himalayans and mixes tend to have lighter blue eyes because the depth of colour in blue eyes is correlated to the colour/amount of pigment of the cat's eyes if the cat wasn't pointed.

Little pigment = green eyes = dark blue eyes in pointed cats
More pigment = yellow--> orange--> copper eyes = lighter blue eyes

Siamese have deep blue eyes which corresponds to green eyes in the Oriental (non pointed) sisterbreed.
Persians often have copper eyes which correlates to light blue eyes.

An exception would be the silver Persians that should have green eyes and would produce better blue eyes in pointed offspring.
I know a British shorthair breeder who breeds colourpointed Brits and she tried this, she crossed a point with a silver shaded and got really good deep blue eye colour.

Cats of mixed heritage will often have orange or yellow eyes and that will not produce very blue eyes in pointed kittens either, for that you need green eyes in the ancestry.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting - didn't know about the blue-green eye color connection. But you mix gold and blue together and you get the more hazel shades. Right?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mimosa

Our Flynn at 11 months;

He didn't get this eyecolur until he was about three years old (in the picture he is 5 years old, his eyes are a bit greener IRL)
Goodness, what an absolutely gorgeous boy Flynn is.......amazing on the eye color change.