rescue-mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Stewie is very attached to me.
He sleeps with me,like on my pillow on top of my head or on me
He sits behind me or on me all the time
When i am in the washroom whether on the toilet or bath he is there

Most people complain their cats are too independent well mine is not.
I want alone time....I hide from him and he comes looking.
He is 11years old and i have had him about 5 years now,He has started something new in the last few months...head bunting me,What does that mean?
Is what he is doing normal for a cat or even some?I have never had a cat so attached.....
I love him but i need my space too.

hairytrousers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by rescue-mom

He is 11years old and i have had him about 5 years now,He has started something new in the last few months...head bunting me,What does that mean?
Is what he is doing normal for a cat or even some?I have never had a cat so attached.....
how cute, does he talk to you alot when your trying to hide from him? My cat badkitty is like that she is around the same age too. ive noticed she has been very clingy to me in the last year or so. i dont mind at all!!

then theres my other cat horse, he is definately one of the ancients, he turned up when my little girl mojo died recently. Whether he is just mincing in because extra food is available or cats really do sense what we are feeling, i would like to think its the latter. Anyway, he is your best friend when its feeding time, and if im on the couch he will smother me like crazy, but only on the couch. whereas badkitty does the same in my bedroom or in my workshop. but never in the others area, thats them just being territorial i guess, badkitty is a bit of a grump with other cats, but she tolerates them.

i think your lucky to have a clingy cat, i dont know if cats get seperation anxiety like dogs do, considering how cruisy cats are and how much they sleep i reckon youd have to have a pretty strung out cat to be getting separation anxiety lol.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a kitty like this named Cuddles (RIP
). Her previous owner really neglected her. I am not sure if this is why but I almost felt I couldn't breathe because her fur was all over my face she was constantly rubbing her face on mine. She was also up there in age when I got her and hyperthyroid which might have contributed possibly though that's just a theory not necessarily fact. I don't know if that's helpful but just my experience. Do you know her history before you got her?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How sweet!! I know it's a bit much at times, but it's really great that he's claimed you as his person. Head butting is a sign of affection and claiming you as his. It's a high honor to be head butted.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The head butting is a sign of affection
he's letting you know how much he
loves you

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Parker is like that with me. Especially when we're at my parents. He follows me eeeeverywhere. (Except into the bathroom. He refuses to come in, but rather howls outside the door). It used to drive me nuts at times, but I've come to accept the fact that he just really loves me and wants to be with me. I do sometimes lock him out of the room when I really want to be alone, I just have to ignore his whining and scratching at the door.

I think it's an honor to have a cat love you that much. Our eldest cat doesn't want anything to do with anyone 99% of the time. It's kind of sad when we want to spend time with her and she walks away and lies down with her back to us.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both of my cats are clingy cats i love it it always gves me someone to talk to when im in the bath, both my cats are chatter boxes

the only tme they werent with me was when we went to bed, they slept in the sitting room thans when i had my alone time

frankthetank

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Joey is very attached to me. From the day I got him when he was 6 weeks old, he has been. He follows me around a lot, sleeps on my clothes if I leave them laying around, if I walk by him and don't pet him he catches me with his paw and meows, if I go into the bathroom he follows me...if I don't let him in, he paws and cries at the door. When I do let him in, he sits on the little stand next to the toilet and meows and tries to jump on my lap...
He also sleeps curled up with my legs at night, if I sit on the couch he usually sleeps on couch with me or on the chair nearby...or if he wants my lap and I am on the computer, he will paw at my lap and stretch out on the laptop until I give up on the computer and pet him.
This is the way he acts about 75 percent of the time. he does have times where he goes off and sleeps in windows, cabinets or plays with the other cats luckily. I love having him so attached, except when i need to get stuff done on the computer!

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might want to get him a senior check up to make sure your cat
is not ill. A friend of mine's cat started getting really strange clingy
and passed away shortly after that. Otherwise I think lots of cats
are clingy, both of mine are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rescue-mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was just at the vet a few weeks ago for a check up and they said he is very healthy.
Thanks all for everything said most people tell me he is strange for being so attached and cats are independent,So it is reassuring that for some cats it is normal.Most foster cats i get want nothing to do with me.
Ya when i am sitting at the computer he is always at the back of my chair pawing at me or head bunting me or attempting to get on my lap,Very annoying when i am trying to play my game and at risk of dieing in it

At one point i enjoyed his affection when i got home from work but i guess now that i am currently unemployed it is alot more since we are together pretty much 24hours a day 7 days a week.

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pandora is pretty much the same way. Every once in a while she will go lay down in her bed that is across the room but most of the time she sticks to me like glue. She drives my husband crazy in the morning when he's trying to get ready for work. It's pretty hilarious. I love Pandora so much. I've never had a cat this friendly. She is always in my lap and she sleeps pushed up against my side at night.

mommysugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is very attached as well. He came from a shelter, so I don't know if that has something to do with it. I know that when I first got him, I was all over him constantly fussing because he was sickly, so maybe he got used to all the attention? I usually get my alone time after I have played with him and he sleeps. If he is especially bad I give him time outs in another room, but only when I have to get work done on the computer or study and he starts knocking things over or walking over my laptop.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Polly's like that. I don't remember what it's like to go to the bathroom alone.
But meezers are generally "in your face" kitties.
One of the reasons I love them.

Just try to enjoy your affectionate boy. Many people are not so lucky as to have a cat so outwardly loving.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He's waiting for a moment of weakness to make his move. Its just a matter of time.

He has started something new in the last few months...head bunting me,What does that mean?
He is trying to knock you unconscious with a headbutt like in the movies, but since he is so small, he is hoping the trauma is cumulative if he does little ones repeatedly.

Then he can finally assert his dominance as master of his domain and be free of human tyranny.

It is still April fools day in some parts of the world, right?

ckovacs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww, that's so sweet. One of our boys, Bailey, will follow me around. But he's not as clingy as that. And I wish he were. They aren't allowed on the furniture and are great about obeying that rule. Minus at night when we can't see them I'm sure. So they don't hop up. They aren't lap cats either, which sometimes is sad for me. I want them to cuddle with me. BUT when I go to sleep, if I decide to leave the bedroom door open at night, Bailey will sleep with me. And not just on the bed, oh no, he will make sure my arm is available so he can rest his head on it and his body needs to be right up against mine. I swear it's the worst sleep ever for me. Especially when he's dreaming and all of his claws dig into my hand. Waking me up with searing pain. But I let him be. For some reason, my discomfort is easily accepted when I know he's happy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rescue-mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol its pretty much to the point i do not ever think i will be able to sleep without a cat on my pillow and purring in my ear or sleeping ontop of me,Glad i do not vacation much.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Lol its pretty much to the point i do not ever think i will be able to sleep without a cat on my pillow and purring in my ear or sleeping ontop of me,Glad i do not vacation much.
Yeah, pretty much.

To be frank, the only thing that could change it would be if he associated you with bad things, and we would never ever ever ever ever ever suggest to instigate something like that, and I'm sure you wouldn't want that, either.
Enjoy your sweet boy.

jimanuel12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

our cat is the same way with me and only me. she has always been more attached to me than my wife. sometimes she will follow me from room to room, even the bathroom and won't let me out of her sight.
for the most part, when she is too "clingy" i just ignore her and she gets the message.
when i go to the bathroom i have to lock the door or she will be in there the entire time. she also head butts me too (a sign of affection).
she is not a lap cat but she sits on my chair arm with me at night. i just pet her head and when she gets tired of me ignoring her, she will jump down go her own way.
hope this helps.

crystalkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl cat, Crystal, is like that. She will go off on her own for a few minutes at a time here and there, but she is basically my shadow. Apparently it is unsafe for me to go in the bathroom alone. I might get a crazy notion to step into that little water-pouring room and get all wet, in which case she MUST hold me still and dry my feet. I keep doing it -- I can't seem to learn how ridiculous it is to keep getting in there when every time water pours out from overhead.

She also stands up and meows about a dozen times a day to be picked up and cuddled. If I sit down to dinner, she sits politely on the bench next to me. Mealtimes are a time to sit at the table, you know. She never begs (well, unless maybe if tuna or turkey is involved, then she will press her head against my arm and look lovingly at me. She is always by me or on me if I am on the bed or couch. If I spread a newspaper or book, she recognizes that I am making a special place for her to climb onto so I can pet her. She is highly honored to be sleeping in the bedroom instead of the catroom. And I'm starting to realize how fortunate I am that she sleeps at the FOOT of my bed, only approaching me purring for attention when I wake up, change position, or otherwise indicate that I want her to come.

The only way I can be in a room by myself is to go to a door like I am going to go through it, and she stands up to help me open it. If I open it, she will run through, then I close it. It takes about two minutes before she gets upset and starts mewing to be let back in.

Fortunately she respects me being on the laptop, but not so posting from my phone, which is why typing this message has taken recover 30 minutes now LOL. (And I'm fairly fast typing on this little screen)

Enjoy your lovey kitty. Most of mine have been satisfied with one or a few brief love-sessions a day and go their own way otherwise. But an attached cat is not unheard-of.