Choose a cat, male or female??

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been over in the picture thread and enjoying seeing everyone's cats. It has made me wonder your opinions about this question. Which makes the best pet, a male or female cat? I have had only two females and numerous males. The first cat we had was a female named Betsy. We now have a female named Mattie. In between have been Samuel, Spare Cat, Smoke, Max, Speedboat and Muffin, all males. Both females were very picky and finicky and temperamental and one person cats. All the males have been super loving and laid back. Speedboat and Max were both very smart, with Max being a cat/human. He just did things cats don't ordinarily do. So I would have to say my experience has been that my male cats were heartbreakers and I just learned to live with the females.
My soulmate cat was Max.

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I prefer males. As you said most females are a bit temperamental but Lauren my oldest kitty has a special place in my heart. She's got the diva attitude but is very loving.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had 2 very, very special cats - one female and one male. The cats in between were wonderful but those two were exceptional. I don't think it matters really - each cat has an individual personality.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had only females also. I did hear that males were more loving and affectionate. I think my next cat will be a male. When that is, I don't know.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, male and female cats can be equally loving. I've had, or have, 7 males and 8 females.

Some will say that females are more difficult, but I haven't found that. Right now I have 2 males and 3 females. The females get along well, but the males have problems with each other and sometimes the females.

But I wouldn't generalize from that. Cats are such individuals.

Robin

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the males make better pets class.

I've had both domestic shorthairs and purebreds in both sexes. Given the choice, I will take a male cat any day over a female cat (spayed or not). All my females have/had attitudes and the males were usually more loving, outgoing and accepting of new cats. The females hated new cats coming in and put up a protest for months.

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've always liked females better. The females I've had over the years have always been sweet and good. Even my calicos were sweet. I think it really just depends on on the cat.

Pandora is the sweetest cat I've ever had.

Lilly is a total brat with tons of cattitude.

Hurley is in between the two.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my female makes the perfect pet for Sphynx lovers.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Males. I have on female I think was meant to be a male lol. shes the coolest female I have. The guys are more laid back. I had one litter where its 2 boys and a girl and the girl is very boyish acting. the more girls in the litter the worse off imo...

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Male cats I've met tend to be better with me. But then again, Buttercup is actually the most ueber lovey-dubey of my two, but around strangers she is very aloof whereas Wesley will warm up quicker and go say hi and expect a butt-rub if he approves.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'm in the males make better pets class.

I've had both domestic shorthairs and purebreds in both sexes. Given the choice, I will take a male cat any day over a female cat (spayed or not). All my females have/had attitudes and the males were usually more loving, outgoing and accepting of new cats. The females hated new cats coming in and put up a protest for months.

That's pretty much my opionion, too.
I've rarely had too many problems with male cats - besides the usual marking their territory thing before getting neutered - but other than that it's been smooth sailing. The only male cat I've had who's been a problem is Geronimo, but I try to be patient with him because he was horribly abused as a kitten and has deep-rooted issues.
He can be the most loving cat there is when he's in the mood - until one of the others get attention. Then he has a tendency to get nasty: he can't stand it if anyone else is getting attention from HIS meowmy!

The females are usually more aloof, and not as loving - unless they get in the mood.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it doesn't matter. I cannot begin to count the number of times potential adopters have looked past their purr-fect new companion because it was the wrong sex!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I choose male cats. They seem to like me better than females.

Inky,
Jo-Jo,
Smokey,
Socks
Lynxx
, Midnight are male cats and they always liked me and are/were friendly to me.
Lynxx
didn't like to be held, but was always around me, and loved me patting him. Midnight will let me pat him day and night, and carry him around all day and night. All I had to do was call
Inky and he'd come running, roll over, I sit on the floor and pat him.
Socks followed me around and loved me patting him.

Sueling,
Mickey 2,
Muffins were females that either hated me, attacked, or hid from me. When I was little I couldn't even pat
Sueling unless my grandfather held her head so she wouldn't bite. She did like me when she got older.
Mickey 2 even jumped on my great grandmother's back, clawed her back making her fall. I was afraid of her, but still missed her when she ran away. My grandparents had a female cat
Fluffy before I was born, that my father and aunt still have nightmares about, she'd pounce out of nowhere and attack. Heard lots of scary stories about her growing up. Autumn liked me, but she hated the other kittens and attacked them.

Luna is a female and she prefers my father. She never even purred for me until after she was spayed. Biting is her sign of affection

So I think I have better luck with males than females.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it matters, with my cats the females are just as loving, outgoing, snuggly and friendly as the males.

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

As Holland is my first cat, and I love her more than anything, I'd have to say GO GIRLS!!
I'd have to say ditto to that except...
Simba is my first cat, and I love him more than anything, so... GO BOYS!

I think we can take this thread as evidence that it really depends on a cat-to-cat basis.
We can't generalize purrsonalities based on gender! It's impossible! Just meet the cat that you adore and who reciprocates as much as she/he is able to.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The whole "males are more affectionate than females" thing drives me NUTS! ALL cats are different. I have known so many cats in my time, both my own and fosters and it completely depends on the individual cat. All cats are different, simple as that. I had a female cat growing up, Minnie, who was sweet and affectionate beyond words! My Pria? By far one of the most loving, sweet, SPECIAL cats I have ever known. 2 of my most recent fosters, Macy and Mosaic are so incredibly affectionate and loving, both lap cats through and through. I have known cats both male AND female who are standoffish and more independant, but I have never, ever seen anything other than complete individuality in cats, that has nothing to do with what sex they are.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Banshee, my Bridge baby and my
kitty, was an absolute love. DH used to say that she loved him....but she adored me. Mollipop is turning out the same way. They're both female.

We had male cats, too, although right now, we only have one. But I can tell you that they can be such lovers, too. Hydrox, our first kitty and now a Bridge baby, was a boy and he was completely mine. He loved DH, but he was my baby. Da Pumpkin-Boy, another Bridge sweetheart, could have easily become my little guy, had it not been that Banshee wouldn't allow that to happen. She knew that I belonged to her.

BooBoo, OTOH, is DH's cat through and through.

I don't think it matters overall. I think some of it can be personality of the cat, too.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueyedgirl5946

Both females were very picky and finicky and temperamental and one person cats.
Both genders are equally loving, so that cannot be compared - which is what people keep trying to do in defense of female cats? And there are plenty of social girl kitties that are family cats.

But yes, the picky and finicky description fits every female cat I have ever had. As does "moody" and territorial (compared to a neutered male). It takes far more to win over a female cat than it does a male. I also believe they're a tad more cautious and more apt to weigh the circumstances before jumping into a situation than many male cats do. I would dare say, that in that area, female cats are smarter than males.
I wonder if that has anything to do with many female cats being better hunters?

Has anyone studied the differences between male and female cat brains (function)? I know there are differences in humans and other species, so it would seem logical that there's some small differences in cats, too.