- 1 Post. Joined 2/2011
- Location: Florida
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Curious why my cat will touch me with his paw Last post on 1/25/10 at 10:54am in Behavior
- Playing fetch Last post on 11/27/13 at 8:34am in Behavior
- Feliway Collar Last post on 6/25/13 at 8:58am in Behavior
- Jezabelle's Progress Thread Last post on 9/2/13 at 12:09pm in Behavior
- kitten keeps making holes in furniture Last post on 4/26/13 at 6:38pm in Behavior
Clicker Training for Cats
Last edited: 8/27/13
- Choosing the Right Cat Toy for Your KittenLast edited: 5/5/13
- Seven Reasons Why You Should Regularly Groom Your CatLast edited: 9/7/12
- Cats and Kids - Making IntroductionsLast edited: 4/17/12
- Why Do Cats KneadLast edited: 10/6/13
We have 3 of the medium sized heating pads and use them during the colder months. They are kitty magnets once the kitties find them! We started off with one heating pad in 2005 and as we've added...
Don't like: Dislike the number of thickeners/gums. Like: 98% meat. No added carbohydrates. No carrageenan. Avoids all of the ingredients that the company believes are linked with the...
Our last cat was extremely long and had trouble fitting into an average-sized litter box. He needed something roomy, durable and covered, since he liked to use the box as a jungle gym and scratch...
We've had this carrier (in solid maroon) for about 13 years and couldn't be more pleased with it. It's held up extremely well despite being used regularly to transport cats weighing over 5...
I purchased this brush specifically for the short-haired cats in the family and they really love it. One cat nearly falls asleep while I brush him. He even lets me brush his belly with it. The...
Why does my cat stare at me?post #1 of 172/14/11 at 3:02pmThread StarterI love her dearly but sometimes she really creeps me out. She stares at me constantly no matter what i'm doing. I go outside to smoke and there she is in the window staring....i'm in the shower and she's staring....i'm reading and yes, staring. Even my friends have commented on it. I've had lots of cats and she seems to be the only one to do it all the time. I just don't understand. Some of the reasons i've come up with is that she is a rescue(but so were/are my other cats), she's black (not a good reason), she's hungry (still does it right after she has eaten). Maybe she is just creepy. Help!
TheCatSite.com Top Pickspost #2 of 172/14/11 at 3:08pmMaybe she really likes you? I don't think that her staring at you makes her creepy at all. It may get kind of annoying at times, having a cat that never takes their eyes off of you, but I'm sure it is nothing to worry about.post #3 of 172/14/11 at 3:49pmWhen he's not sleeping, Memphis likes to stare at people. He does it from the hallway mostly, which I think makes it creepier. He's very statue-esque, and sometimes he'll stare at you from just outside the room you're in. The worst is when he's on the mantle behind/above the TV and you can't help but notice him.
He just likes to watch people, I think, so I don't pay it much attention. Plus, who doesn't like it when people (or cats) pay attention to them? I love it.post #4 of 172/14/11 at 5:05pmHow many times has Gary (DH) woken up at night to find one of our cats sitting there, staring at him intently? He thinks they're sizing him up, wondering how many meals they'd get out of him if something happened and they had to resort to that.
I think when they stare like that they're trying to communicate telepathically. Food? Treat? Play? A specific toy?post #5 of 172/14/11 at 5:13pmShe's a rescue? Maybe she has abandonment issues and wants to keep an eye on you to make sure you don't leave her?
I know its creepy when they stare though. The boys will sit on either side of my computer chair and glare at me. Sometimes I think lasers are gonna shoot out and disintegrate me.post #6 of 172/14/11 at 5:14pmMaybe he really likes what he see. Just wants to know what you're doing--he doesn't want to miss anything. You might make a move toward the kibble and he wants to be the first to see that!!post #7 of 172/14/11 at 5:24pmpost #8 of 172/14/11 at 5:28pmpost #9 of 172/15/11 at 12:01ampost #10 of 172/15/11 at 7:06amYour cat adores you!!!! And you are so lucky... My Pipsqueak constantly is watching me and follows me wherever I go. He is my guard cat too. It is so wonderful when a cat loves you so much they can't take their eyes off of youpost #11 of 172/15/11 at 9:06amKitties are very inquisitive and smart creatures. They stare for various reasons...to get your attention, to see what you're doing, to learn your body language and what it means, to size you up and determine if you're friend or foe, and just to annoy you and make you think you're crazy.
Mine don't necessarily stare, but they do watch us all the time!post #12 of 172/16/11 at 2:41pmMy cat Gizmo stares at me constantly and I really interpret it as love and trust with her. We just adore each other. She doesnt do it so much with my husband.
However, I can distinguish her "gazing with love" look with the "will you please get up and feed me now" look. But she is all about love and trust-she's a very sensitive kitty.
Our other cat, Strider, is another story...his looks say much less about love and trust and more about what he wants and needs and expects of you. He has a way of looking at you askance, like he just knows you're about to annoy him. We got him as a rescue and wonder if he was maybe a feral kitten.
I do have a question about him...I hope its ok to ask it here.
He has this habit of crouching and cringing when we try to pat or pick him up, as if he expects to be hit. This makes us feel terrible because we've never done anything to make him expect that. He loves to play, but is not cuddly and seems afraid of people when they come to the house. The only time he approaches for cuddling is on the sofa at night...he likes to be patted until he curls up and starts sucking his toe. He's a big toe-sucker since he was a baby.
Are these signs he was feral?post #13 of 172/17/11 at 11:01pmI have a black rescue cat and she stares at me as well. If I go outside to take out garbage or recyclables she will look out the window or door at me. If I go downstairs she will run down with me and watch me as I do laundry. If I am watching tv she will lay on her tree and start at me until her eyes closed.
I think it is just normal for a cat to do. They are naturally curious and want to see what you are doing (or hoping that you are getting them treats)post #14 of 1712/22/12 at 5:59pmI've had my tabby, her name is maggie, for 11 years. Not only does she sit and stare but, she has sucked the tip of her tail since she was 5 weeks old. She is in love with me! She misses me while I'm @ work, greets me @ the door! She will follow me from room to room, walk along side of me outside and she's never tried to run away.when I sit, she has to curl up next to me and suck her tail, and purr. Yet, if I pick her up to hug her, she cries and gets mad at me!! She has to set the ground rules! She knows when I'm upset, and stares at me so intently. She has me paranoid. I think maybe she thinks I'm gonna leave her...? Yeah, that's paranoid!! Someone told me they know if you're ill, or gonna die..and I can't get it out of my head.post #15 of 172/9/13 at 5:26pmpost #16 of 178/17/13 at 8:13am
I think she may find what your doing interesting and/or admire you or want some affection from you or she might feel the need to protect you in return of you taking care of her she may feel then need to repay you.post #17 of 178/18/13 at 2:14pm
Cats do that. One of my cats is sitting next to the shower with her eyes the size of the saucers, every time I take a shower. When I get out, she starts circling my feet and meowing as if she is trying to say : "Stop ! Why are you submitting yourself to this torture !!" So I have to calm her down: "Yes, Nikita, I survived another one !!"
- Why does my cat stare at me?
- Choosing the Right Cat Toy for Your Kitten
- › The Cat Site Members' Christmas Card Exchange 2013 1 minute ago
- › Paper plates or bowls? 2 minutes ago
- › What's the last thing you ate? 13 minutes ago
- › elevated liver enzymes & cardiac enzymes in a 3-year old cat 30 minutes ago
- › U stew for cats 31 minutes ago
- › Treating a cat abscess at home 37 minutes ago
- › Vaccinations tomorrow! 38 minutes ago
- › am i feeding my cat too little? 45 minutes ago
- › Is it common for cats to not like sisal? Or cardboard scratchers? 52 minutes ago
- › Male cat leaking urine since yesterday 53 minutes ago
- › K&H Pet Bed Warmer by stephanietx
- › Hound & Gatos 98% Beef Formula Canned Cat Food by thecatsite-user
- › Europet Bernina Eco Jumbo Litter Box by jcat
- › Marchioro Clipper Aran 2 Pet Carrier by jcat
- › KONG Cat ZoomGroom by lauraG
- › Pet Shuttle By Stylette Lava by Susank521
- › Petmate Pet Porter Kennel by molldee
- › Petmate Pet Taxi Fashion Kennel by Cassiopea
- › Petmate Two Door Top Load Pet Kennel by Draco
- › Comfort Zone with Feliway Diffuser for Cats by Maureen Bradley
- › Her Royal Majesty, Princess Cami by MsCalico
- › Tigger AKA Tiggles by cprcheetah
- › Mercedes by cprcheetah
- › Munchie Bunchie by cprcheetah
- › Mini Dee by cprcheetah
- › Bad Cats by BratCat99
- › DeeJay by cprcheetah
- › How Much Does It Cost to Breed Cats by Anne
- › Spanky ... 17.8 lbs. of awesome! by Xenot
- › So you think you want to become a breeder? by Anne