Which Antibiotic Is Best To Use To Treat a URI?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really getting confused as to which antibiotic is the best to use for a URI - due to the fact that I'm getting different opinions depending upon which vet I go to. Back in September when all my furkids got sick with a URI, the vet I normally go to put them on Anti-robe (along with antibiotic shots for my cats that have FIP - due to the fact that those cats almost always need extra antibiotics due to the severity of the FIP disease). When Samurai had another FIP flare-up about two weeks ago, she gave him a shot and also put him on Clavamox for 10 days, instead of the usual Anti-robe. Then Geronimo had another bad flare-up a few days ago, and I ended up having to take him to my emergency "stand by" vet because I couldn't get him to my usual vet. I explained to the vet what usually occurs when one of my FIP cats has a flare-up, and what the treatment normally is. He gave Geronimo a antibiotic shot, along with putting him on Clavamox. When I mentioned that they usually get Anti-robe when they have a flare-up, he told me that he doesn't recommend Anti-robe because it can cause health issues: unfortunately, I don't recall exactly what it was that he told me - due to the fact that I was pretty upset over Geronimo's condition and I wasn't thinking clearly. Back when this whole FIP thing first started, the vet I used to go to would prescribe either Clavamox, Amoxicillian, or Baytril when they had a flare-up. So now I don't know what to think.
I always keep extra Anti-robe on hand in case one of them has a flare-up and I can't get them to a vet right away - just to be on the safe side and at least get them started on something till I can get them into the vet. But now I'm wondering if I should even use the Anti-robe.
It seemed to have worked really well for the cats back when they all got sick - but if it can cause problems, I'm leery about using it. I don't know what to think now. I only want to do what is best for my babies...

I realize that no one here is a professional vet and can only offer advice. If anyone has any input or knowledge regarding which antibiotics are best to use to treat a URI - especially for cats that have FIP - I would really appreciate your help.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one that works the best is the obvious answer... Not much help, huh?

Honestly, if what you've tried so far isn't working ask if your vet has a slow day where you can come in and talk to them in length. No cats in tow, not in an exam room - preferably in their office where you can sit comfortably (I know how having to stand around can make my back hurt sometimes) and the two of you can look through some text books and recent studies. If you can't do this with your vet... maybe they're not the vet you need at this time.

There has been some more recent studies on arythromycin and similar class antibiotics for URI (and lower RI) use. We even tried it in my kittens to make sure there wasn't a secondary infection causing inflammation (it didn't help because there was no infection) But again, you and your vet will have to sit down and talk about this.

All antibiotics have side effects and use in individual cats will have to be weighed against their age and health otherwise.

I'm not really sure if this has helped you any at all. I'm sorry you're having a tough with your kitties. I can't give you a miracle answer or cure, and really wish I could.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I realize that no one here is a professional vet and can only offer advice. If anyone has any input or knowledge regarding which antibiotics are best to use to treat a URI - especially for cats that have FIP - I would really appreciate your help.
KittKat, If I discovered that I had a cat with FIP, I would join up with an online group of people who are currently managing their FIP kitties' health - I'm aware of two of these groups, both have been running for years (9 and 11 years), have had thousands of members, are solely focussed on FIP and have a huge collective knowledge and skill base ready to help new members.

One is here http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FIP/ and there's the second http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FIPCatSupport/ I'm sure I would get sound counsel from the folks there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

The one that works the best is the obvious answer... Not much help, huh?

Honestly, if what you've tried so far isn't working ask if your vet has a slow day where you can come in and talk to them in length. No cats in tow, not in an exam room - preferably in their office where you can sit comfortably (I know how having to stand around can make my back hurt sometimes) and the two of you can look through some text books and recent studies. If you can't do this with your vet... maybe they're not the vet you need at this time.

There has been some more recent studies on arythromycin and similar class antibiotics for URI (and lower RI) use. We even tried it in my kittens to make sure there wasn't a secondary infection causing inflammation (it didn't help because there was no infection) But again, you and your vet will have to sit down and talk about this.

All antibiotics have side effects and use in individual cats will have to be weighed against their age and health otherwise.

I'm not really sure if this has helped you any at all. I'm sorry you're having a tough with your kitties. I can't give you a miracle answer or cure, and really wish I could.
I appreciate your trying to help, StrangeWings - even if it is only just advice.

FWIW, I have had numerous extensive discussions concerning which treatments are best to administer with every vet I've taken the furkids to since this entire FIP thing started. Unfortunately, depending upon which vet I talk to, they all have different opinions & advice - which is why I'm confused.
Personally, I think I'll stick with the Clavamox when they have a flare-up: it seems to work the best (besides Antirobe), and I haven't heard anything about it causing bad side effects. I guess it's a crap shoot no matter which antibiotic you have to use.

Again, thanks for trying to help!
I appreciate it!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by White Shadow

KittKat, If I discovered that I had a cat with FIP, I would join up with an online group of people who are currently managing their FIP kitties' health - I'm aware of two of these groups, both have been running for years (9 and 11 years), have had thousands of members, are solely focussed on FIP and have a huge collective knowledge and skill base ready to help new members.

One is here http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FIP/ and there's the second http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FIPCatSupport/ I'm sure I would get sound counsel from the folks there.
White Shadow, I actually did join that Yahoo group when this entire FIP thing started. Unfortunately, I wasn't really getting anywhere with that group: I actually found out more about FIP by coming to TCS, and also doing research online. I do appreciate your advice and trying to help.

FWIW, my FIP cats are on an Interferon treatment, and all of them are doing really well on it so far.
Once in awhile they have a flare-up, which is when they need an extra added boost of antibiotics to help fight off a URI if they pick one up - which unfortunately isn't very difficult considering they have little or no immune system. I just am grateful that they don't have the wet form of FIP because there's no treatment for that.

Thanks for your advice!

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My cat beat two URI's - one last year and one this year (that almost took her life being that she's battling other issues besides that infection) by having a convenia injection. It's a great way to manage the URI for those cats that are difficult to pill (mine is), being equivalent to a 30-day round of some other antibiotic that would be administered orally. This second time I specifically requested it and the vet agreed. Along with that, I'd recommend a course of Enisyl (lysine) - which comes in a pump that you use to administer measured doses in a syringe. Best of luck. Hope your kitty feels better soon!

Keith

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by three4rd

Hi,

My cat beat two URI's - one last year and one this year (that almost took her life being that she's battling other issues besides that infection) by having a convenia injection. It's a great way to manage the URI for those cats that are difficult to pill (mine is), being equivalent to a 30-day round of some other antibiotic that would be administered orally. This second time I specifically requested it and the vet agreed. Along with that, I'd recommend a course of Enisyl (lysine) - which comes in a pump that you use to administer measured doses in a syringe. Best of luck. Hope your kitty feels better soon!

Keith
I don't have too many problems giving meds to my cats. The problem is is that 4 of them have FIP, so they have little to no immune system and are highly susceptible to getting sick and fighting off infections & such. FWIW, I already do add L-Lysine to their water, which seems to help. I've noticed that if I run out there seems to be more problems again.

Thanks for your advice!
I appreciate your help!