TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › The Hoax that never dies
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Hoax that never dies

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
There is an alert passing around now about a jdbg.exe virus. If you get this email from someone who believes they sent you a "teddy bear" virus, please don't delete the file they are asking you to. Instead, send them this link and tell them they been hoaxed. This is an old hoax that has apparently resurfaced.

It boggles my mind how someone can create a effective scare tactic like a virus hoax with the intention of creating havoc in people's computers. If you have that much ingenuity and time on your hands, why not do something constructive, not destructive?
Just a rant.......


Virus Hoax
post #2 of 23
why do people need to try to cause problems.
post #3 of 23
Oh I remember that one.

*groan*
post #4 of 23
Thanks, MA.

Any time I get an email about a virus, scare, political story or whatever I check it out at http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/ .
It's a great website from the Department of Energy that lists internet and email hoaxes.
post #5 of 23
Every time I get an email warning me of a virus, I check at www.symantec.com - and every time someone emails me a warning about something, I check it out at www.snopes.com
post #6 of 23
Those are good sites.
http://www.truthminers.com/truth/ is a good one also.
post #7 of 23
I agree MA. If they have that much time and smarts, imagine what they could do for good.

I used to be one of those that sent those on thinking they were real. I am glad someone finally told me about hoaxbusters but when I needed to have my computer redone, I lost all my fav lists. Being an oldtimer, I have trouble remembering what was originally on there.

Thanks for listening and reminding me.
post #8 of 23
Yeah, I'm still rebuilding my fav's list since the "hard-drive crash of '03", too.

Every time someone sends me one of those scare emails, or one of the politically revised "history" or "current events" emails I just look it up & send them the appropriate hoax link. The flood is gradually reducing in volume, I hope.
----------------------------------------------------------------
THE "FORWARDER'S" 12 STEP PROGRAM -- EVERYONE SAY IT WITH ME…

I will NOT get bad luck, lose my friends, or lose my mailing lists if I DON'T forward an email!

I will NOT hear any music or see a taco dog, if I DO forward an e-mail.

Bill Gates is NOT going to send me money, and Victoria's Secret doesn't know anything about a gift certificate they're supposed to send me.

Ford will NOT give me a 50% discount even if I forward my e-mail to more than 50 people!

I will NEVER receive gift certificates, coupons, or freebies from Coca-Cola, Cracker Barrel, Old Navy, or anyone else if I send an e-mail to 10 people.

I will NEVER see a popup window if I forward an email. . . NEVER--EVER!

There is NO SUCH THING as an e-mail tracking program, and I am not STUPID enough to think that someone will send me $100 for forwarding an e-mail to 10 or more people!

There is NO kid with cancer through the Make-a-Wish program in England collecting anything! He did when he was 7 years old. He is now cancer free and 35 years old and DOESN'T WANT ANY MORE POST CARDS, or GET-WELL CARDS.

The government does not have a bill in Congress called 901B (or whatever they named it this week) that, if passed, will enable them to charge us 5 cents for every e-mail we send.

There will be NO cool dancing, singing, waving, colorful flowers, characters, or program that I will receive immediately after I forward an e-mail. NONE, ZIP, ZERO, NADA!!

The American Red Cross will NOT donate 50 cents to certain individual dying of some never-heard-of disease for every e-mail address I send this to. The American Red Cross RECEIVES donations.

And finally, I WILL NOT let others guilt me into sending things by telling me I am not their friend or that I don't believe in Jesus Christ.

Now, repeat this to yourself until you have it memorized, and send it along to at least 5 of your friends before the next full moon or you will surely be constipated for three months and all of your hair will fall out.
post #9 of 23
LMAO!!! Thanks tuxedo!
post #10 of 23
Hey! Truth Miners is pretty cool! Thanks!
post #11 of 23
I got a Virus the other night. It was the most strange thing. These people are getting quite clever at these things! It was a spy program called Virtual Bouncer. It popped up a very real looking warning saying that a virus as been found on my PC and if I click on the message it would get rid of it. It looked so real, but part of me thought better of it. So, I did a search on VB and found that when you click on the message...a virus attacks your computer! The next day I went out and upgraded my Norton's & installed a FireWall!
post #12 of 23
you know i would like to know that my self, why do they do this, i have only had my computer for a few months now and someone sent me a virus in a attachment, i scanned it and it said it was the bugBear virus, i didnt even know what that was, but i knew enough to get rid of it, my brother said it was a real virus, i was so mad, stupied people...
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by tuxedokitties
Yeah, I'm still rebuilding my fav's list since the "hard-drive crash of '03", too.

Every time someone sends me one of those scare emails, or one of the politically revised "history" or "current events" emails I just look it up & send them the appropriate hoax link. The flood is gradually reducing in volume, I hope.
----------------------------------------------------------------
THE "FORWARDER'S" 12 STEP PROGRAM -- EVERYONE SAY IT WITH ME…

I will NOT get bad luck, lose my friends, or lose my mailing lists if I DON'T forward an email!

I will NOT hear any music or see a taco dog, if I DO forward an e-mail.

Bill Gates is NOT going to send me money, and Victoria's Secret doesn't know anything about a gift certificate they're supposed to send me.

Ford will NOT give me a 50% discount even if I forward my e-mail to more than 50 people!

I will NEVER receive gift certificates, coupons, or freebies from Coca-Cola, Cracker Barrel, Old Navy, or anyone else if I send an e-mail to 10 people.

I will NEVER see a popup window if I forward an email. . . NEVER--EVER!

There is NO SUCH THING as an e-mail tracking program, and I am not STUPID enough to think that someone will send me $100 for forwarding an e-mail to 10 or more people!

There is NO kid with cancer through the Make-a-Wish program in England collecting anything! He did when he was 7 years old. He is now cancer free and 35 years old and DOESN'T WANT ANY MORE POST CARDS, or GET-WELL CARDS.

The government does not have a bill in Congress called 901B (or whatever they named it this week) that, if passed, will enable them to charge us 5 cents for every e-mail we send.

There will be NO cool dancing, singing, waving, colorful flowers, characters, or program that I will receive immediately after I forward an e-mail. NONE, ZIP, ZERO, NADA!!

The American Red Cross will NOT donate 50 cents to certain individual dying of some never-heard-of disease for every e-mail address I send this to. The American Red Cross RECEIVES donations.

And finally, I WILL NOT let others guilt me into sending things by telling me I am not their friend or that I don't believe in Jesus Christ.

Now, repeat this to yourself until you have it memorized, and send it along to at least 5 of your friends before the next full moon or you will surely be constipated for three months and all of your hair will fall out.
OMG!!!! That was HILARIOUS!!!!! Thanks for the laugh!!!!!
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by dougbug
you know i would like to know that my self, why do they do this, i have only had my computer for a few months now and someone sent me a virus in a attachment, i scanned it and it said it was the bugBear virus, i didnt even know what that was, but i knew enough to get rid of it, my brother said it was a real virus, i was so mad, stupied people...
Dougbug, I got the exact same virus last Tuesday when I was online. My sis-in-law sent it to me in an attachment. I tried to e-mail her back to the addy listed and was told the addy did not exist. I haven't talked to her yet about it. My Norton anti-virus caught it, but could not stop it...and I have the most recent version and have updated it recently. Norton said it could not stop it, but quarantined it into a file instead. I assume this means it cannot hurt me now....but how the heck do I get rid of it???????
I was confused on the name and told someone it was the bearhug virus...but now that you have posted about it...I recognize the name...it was indeed the bugbear virus.

Does anyone have any info on this???????? I now have it quarantined on my computer. How do I get rid of it altogether????????
post #15 of 23
You should be able to go to your Quarentine file and delete it from there. I just upgraded to the 2003 version and haven't really taken a good look at it. But I know with the 2001 version you could delete them once their in Quarentine.
post #16 of 23
Thanks Shell! But how do I find my quarantine file? I am so dumb when it comes to things like this.
post #17 of 23
When you open Nortons, on the left hand side it give a list of options. Click on Reports, then go to Quanantine items view reports and then it will list all the items in that file. Click on the virus and click on delete. And Viola!
post #18 of 23
Debby, im sorry but im no help with that stuff, i would have to get help myself, im pretty new at all this, the only reason i got rid of it was it was a attachment and i scanned the attachment and it said it had a virus and that was the name of it, so i just deleted the email, i never opened it, my brother told me if i had got it, it would burn my hard drive up, i dont know myself, he said they were having a hard time stopping this one. some really sick people out there, but it sounds like Shell has set you straight. im glad.
post #19 of 23
Thread Starter 
Debbie if you look at the banner at the bottom of this page it links you to something about the BugBear Virus-
post #20 of 23
arrh people have so MUCH time on there hands, infact too much, I had the BugBear scare about 8 months ago..
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by hissy
Debbie if you look at the banner at the bottom of this page it links you to something about the BugBear Virus-
Not seeing anything at the bottom about it. Is this a real virus then or just a hoax?
post #22 of 23
Thread Starter 
Well it was there a minute ago- here is a link


http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...ugbear@mm.html
post #23 of 23
Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › The Hoax that never dies