Help! Are cashews poisonous?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Archimedes got into a big bag of cashews while hubby and I ran to the store. Are cashews poisonous?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
quickest way to find out is check aspca toxic site... link it in the stickies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I found on the aspca site was macadamia nuts.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walnuts are toxic to animals, too.

I think it depends on how many cashews he ate and the type. If they were roasted and salted (they'd taste pretty awful raw, so I assume they are roasted), then you need to be concerned with how much sodium he consumed, too.

Two things to look out for: Vomiting and getting a nut stuck in his throat. Him not being able to pass a nut in his stools, because face it cats don't chew.
If he has no issues, do call the vet Monday and check his stools.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they were roasted and salted halves and pieces. This is the most food crazy cat I have ever seen. Why is salt a problem?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same reason salt it's a problem if people eat too much. It's not good for blood pressure, fluid retention, and health period.

Good to know they were somewhat smaller pieces. My cats will get into nuts, too, if we're not careful - because of the salt.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info - sometimes I wonder if he is really worth all the trouble he gets into

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seven in the house, 5 of which will get into things. (the other two are older and too dignified for juvenile behavior now
) To make matters worse there are also two guys that don't always remember to pick things up and to lock up the kitchen trash. Oh well, everyone gets in trouble and I play nanny.

Chances are he didn't eat that many nuts, more than likely he licked as many as he could so that if you try to save them you'll be eating cat saliva.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Aya is fond of cashews too. Haven't seen her eat any but she steals the sealable plastic bag when I'm not looking and chews on it. also gets very interested if I take any nuts out, but hasn't eaten any.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I gave him some of his wet food and he hasn't shown any adverse reactions to the cashews yet, so either he didn't eat any, or he isn't reacting to them.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Yes, they care toxic to cats.

http://frangadesigns.com/blog/2008/0...to-house-pets/
Re-read that list. Salt, sugar, and yeast are ingredients in cat foods. (semi-moist cat and dog foods contain sugar to inhibit mold growth)

I too came across that list and could find no reference to some of the things they list. Just because some random site lists it (but even the aspca doesn't) does not make it true - sort of like wikipedia, anyone can write anything they want.