cats detect/protect us from spirits?

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so this thread may come off strange. i am going to give you as much detail as i can.
i have 2 cats, 1 that is highly attached to me- Peaches and 1 that is independent- Bonnie. they are both 3 years & 6 months old (sisters).

first i will tell you a little about them..
Peaches like i said is pretty attached to me. she talks to me all the time, she follows me around, she comes to me when i call her, but she isnt too lovey. like she doesnt give out kisses (hardly ever), but she will rub against your leg, etc. she lays with me & my fiance in the bed at night but if one of us move, usually she will just get up and go somewhere else. so most of the time, she is only on the bed with us for a few hours out of the night.

Bonnie is miss priss, doesnt follow me around, definitely doesnt come when i call her but she is more affectionate than Peaches(she will always give kisses while in your lap, on her terms of course). she doesnt sleep in the room as often as Peaches, and if she does its usually not for a long period of time.

when both of my cats want to sleep with us, they will find room to sleep in the middle, there is usually like a dip between our legs or something. but there is once a week (it seems like), where Peaches wont sleep between us but to the right of me on the bed, next to my chest and she will curl up with my arm (i sleep on the right side of the bed, facing the bathroom- btw ive had weird feelings about my bathroom). usually when she does this, i happen to not sleep well at all, i wake up a numerous times through out the night, and when i look at her i see that she is still there curled up with my arm, but she is not sleeping. she is just sitting there watching/looking at something. lastnight when she did this, she actually gave me kisses the times when i woke up. obviously if i dont sleep well, i move around a lot and everytime i move she will re-adjust with how i am laying. the nights that Peaches does this, Bonnie is never in the room.

other than that, my cats have always been playful. they like to climb the walls, and run through the apartment like crazy kitties chasing each other. ive had these cats since they were babies, but my fiance hasnt been around the whole time ive had them, so im thinking maybe this is why Peaches is "protecting" me.

about my bathroom, there have been a few odd things that have happened but nothing too creepy. when i sleep, i have a really hard time facing my back to the bathroom. it makes me really uncomfortable so usually i will lay on my back facing up, or actually facing the bathroom. i just get a really eerie feeling about my bathroom, mostly its not throughout the apartment.

i tried to be detailed but if you have questions please ask.

i just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this type of thing?

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is interesting!!! I'd love to know what "odd things" have happened!!!???

Have you tried shutting the door to the bathroom at night???? I used to have a problem with having my back to my bedroom door (unless it was shut). If it was open I could never sleep. So I usually shut it. I think I was always afraid that if someone broke in I might not hear them until they are right above me. At least with the door shut Id probably hear it open. LOL. The things that go through our heads! Anyway. It made me feel more secure and sleep better with the door shut.

As far as cats detecting spirits - I think it is highly possible!!! Though I have never had any experiences like yours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cmedeiros17

This is interesting!!! I'd love to know what "odd things" have happened!!!???

Have you tried shutting the door to the bathroom at night???? I used to have a problem with having my back to my bedroom door (unless it was shut). If it was open I could never sleep. So I usually shut it. I think I was always afraid that if someone broke in I might not hear them until they are right above me. At least with the door shut Id probably hear it open. LOL. The things that go through our heads! Anyway. It made me feel more secure and sleep better with the door shut.

As far as cats detecting spirits - I think it is highly possible!!! Though I have never had any experiences like yours.
as far as odd things, there have been black marks on the bathroom floor and neither my fiance or i, wear shoes into the bathroom.
both of my cats seem to be looking at things in the air, when nothing is there.
peaches will come to the bathroom when either one of us are using it, like she just wants to be in there while we are in there.
ive noticed her getting more and more attached to me at the apartment, but when i take them to my parents house she isnt as attached.
there are weird noises, and the feeling of being watched or that something is just there.
the temp seems to adjust itself. we have it on a schedule, certain times through out the day it goes to specific tempature.
there are times were my fiance and i wake up in the middle of the night at the same exact time.
i mean, its nothing real obvious, but just little things that stand out to us. things that could even possibly have another explaination.

i know the whole thing seems kind of crazy but i believe in paranormal stuff. some people just dont but ive experienced paranormal things. i just find it so strange that my cat would sit in the same spot for 8 hours and curl up in my arm, thats just not typical for her. she didnt start doing that until the past few months. we've only been at this apartment since May, so 5 months?

and i havent closed the bathroom door because i'm afraid that would make my feeling worse. i have heard that animals sense more than what we can, so i dont know if maybe my cat is trying to tell me something, and maybe thats why she has started to become so attached to me. i do know when we are laying in bed and she is curled in my arm, there is a mutual feeling of safty and protection between Peaches and myself. does that make sense?

lucky luke

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In a same order of idea, one of my cats (My Geisha who passed away 8 years ago
) once seemed to "read through my nightmare"; it was eerie...

I vaguely recall that I was dreaming that one on my neighbors abused one of my cats (kicked it or something to that effect). In my dream, I beat up that man and woke up with Geisha sitting on my chest, purring loudly and licking my chin; it was as if she was telling me "Thank you for defending me!"

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sage is cleansing, was used by several Native American tribes for this purpose. Get some fresh sage stems - some supermarkets like Wegmans sells fresh herbs in bunches. Let the stems air dry, then burn. Walk through the bathroom, "fanning" the smoke so it is wafted throughout the room. Might want to use sage in rest of the apartment, just for completeness.

If you like, speak to whatever spirits might be there, telling them that it is time for them to move on, not that you are chasing them away but now you are living here and it is time for them to leave.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, yes, yes!

When I was living at my old place we had three pets (my dog, my roommate's dog and my other roommate's cat). We would constantly find them all sitting staring into a corner or random spot, sometimes barking. We would also have weird things go on in our kitchen - dishes would clink around in the sink or cupboards, things would be moved, we'd hear chairs scraping along the floor, sometimes food would be moved from the fridge or cupboard to the counter (that was a pain!) and once the kitchen sink was filled with water like someone was telling us to do the dishes. NONE of us had done any of this, we were all good friends and had been living across the street together for the year before. It was only when we moved into that place that this stuff started. We would all be in the living room and hear the stuff going on in the kitchen. Most of the time, if we yelled "Stop!" or "Cut it out!" the noises would stop for a few hours.

I talked to a pet psychic about 6 months after the stuff started happening, they did a lot of general questioning with my dog to prove things to me (what her favourite toy is, her favourite treat, etc), then they had her describe what she was staring at in the house that we couldn't see. The description fit my grandmother to a T! The psychic asked Sadie not to bark at the lady anymore but told her she could bark at anyone else she saw and she didn't bark at all after.

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lucky Luke : maybe this is more of a "i know you are scared, dont worry" kind of thing? i feel ridiculous, like this isnt possibly happening so maybe its just me.

Catapault : my fiance mentioned this also. you dont think this will make it worse?

nerdrock : i do see my cats staring at nothing, and it gives me the chills. you have definitely experienced more than i have with random things! and wow about the pet psychic! that is so crazy. have you had anything happen since then? did you figure out if it was your grandmother causing all that ruckus?

so this morning i felt the feeling again. when my fiance was leaving for work i called for peaches and she came and slept with me again until it was time to get up for work, although i dont feel like i really slept. i just got that feeling again, of a creepy presence. but she layed with me the whole time and even gave me more kisses.
i think i will try this sage thing tonight. ill have to do some research on it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate October. But at least there's not as many, so far, this year...

Personal experience - cats don't really notice anything more than humans (who are paying attention) do. Usually I've notice something before or at the same time since my eye sight is better than a cats.
The average cat, if spooked, is going to leave you to deal with anything yourself. So will a lot of dogs.

Now a quick question: How much ghost related shows have you been watching on tv lately?

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I hate October. But at least there's not as many, so far, this year...

Personal experience - cats don't really notice anything more than humans (who are paying attention) do. Usually I've notice something before or at the same time since my eye sight is better than a cats.
The average cat, if spooked, is going to leave you to deal with anything yourself. So will a lot of dogs.

Now a quick question: How much ghost related shows have you been watching on tv lately?
we really dont watch many ghost shows/movies, but we watch a lot of drama, some horror. usually dealing with infidelity & murders. a lot of lifetime movies too.
do you believe in paranormal activity? i do see what you may be suggesting, that what i watch is influencing what i think is around me? the fear is so real though, do you think it could influence it that much?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silly_ goose

we really dont watch many ghost shows/movies, but we watch a lot of drama, some horror. usually dealing with infidelity & murders. a lot of lifetime movies too.
do you believe in paranormal activity? i do see what you may be suggesting, that what i watch is influencing what i think is around me? the fear is so real though, do you think it could influence it that much?
Yes, I lived in an old house for a little over 10 years that was haunted. But I'm a logical person and not every bump, creak, or odd pet behavior means (or meant) it was a ghost. We occasionally had mice and even a rat get in the attic once and it was an old house with it's share of weird house noises.

This happens every single year around this time. Someone who has been living in a house or apartment for X number of years suddenly thinks their home is haunted because of a few things that upon deeper inspection can often be explained away. The problem is people watch or hear stuff about ghosts and that humans have such great imaginations. We can't really help it. It's like a person watching a scary movie home alone - suddenly every little noise is someone trying to break into the home.

And yes, I'm susceptible to it, too! Though not as much anymore.

You may be hearing some odd noises from your bathroom at night or maybe even the play of shadows from it bothers you. Your mind then connects a few dots that may not be there.
Mind you, I don't like mirrors in rooms (bathroom is ok) and don't like having, say, a closet door open. I don't think there's anything there, I just simply do not like the play of light and shadow resulting from both - it creeps me out.

If you truly think there is something there, set up a video camera facing the bathroom or a digital recorder in the bathroom. You may not catch anything paranormal, but maybe you can figure out what about it bothers you.
Also, you could put a nightlight in the bathroom.

If your apartment is older, there could be a wiring issue that's bothering you.

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yes, I lived in an old house for a little over 10 years that was haunted. But I'm a logical person and not every bump, creak, or odd pet behavior means (or meant) it was a ghost. We occasionally had mice and even a rat get in the attic once and it was an old house with it's share of weird house noises.

This happens every single year around this time. Someone who has been living in a house or apartment for X number of years suddenly thinks their home is haunted because of a few things that upon deeper inspection can often be explained away. The problem is people watch or hear stuff about ghosts and that humans have such great imaginations. We can't really help it. It's like a person watching a scary movie home alone - suddenly every little noise is someone trying to break into the home.

And yes, I'm susceptible to it, too! Though not as much anymore.

You may be hearing some odd noises from your bathroom at night or maybe even the play of shadows from it bothers you. Your mind then connects a few dots that may not be there.
Mind you, I don't like mirrors in rooms (bathroom is ok) and don't like having, say, a closet door open. I don't think there's anything there, I just simply do not like the play of light and shadow resulting from both - it creeps me out.

If you truly think there is something there, set up a video camera facing the bathroom or a digital recorder in the bathroom. You may not catch anything paranormal, but maybe you can figure out what about it bothers you.
Also, you could put a nightlight in the bathroom.

If your apartment is older, there could be a wiring issue that's bothering you.
ahhh i night light is a great idea!!!!

ive never lived in a house i felt was haunted, but i have noticed that ive always had this feeling about a bathroom. which i didnt start to feel that way until i was probably 16 (im 23 now) and when i would walk into my parents bathroom i would sometimes get the urge to run out, sometimes in my own bathroom, sometimes it could have been another place in the house, but mostly the bathroom (this is when my parents built a house & we lived in the country, 25 miles from a store and a neighbor was 4 miles down the road). so since then i have just carried this around with me, maybe? but the bathroom REALLY does creep me out. maybe when i did the "candy man" thing when i was 10 has scared me for life

maybe peaches is sitting with me because she knows im afraid of something, but not because she senses there is something paranormal? my cats do notice my feelings, so maybe thats more realistic but idk. like i said, the bathroom really creeps me out. you have to walk by my bathroom to get out of the apartment & this morning when i had to leave i literally ran outside because i had this black hole in my gut. i dont think the apartments are really that old, may have been built in the 90's. my roommate used to feel like there was something going on in her room also but she stopped coming to the apartment (litterally, shes hardly ever there) so i dont know about that situation anymore.

i do agree with our imaginations, when we watch a movie or CSI and people are breaking in etc, i do begin to feel that fear of that happening BUT it doesnt last longer than a night.
if there is paranomal stuff going on, we would have to buy a camcorder to find out. i am going to get a night light though

i will mention that in my old apartment i also had this thing going on BUT there was actually real paranormal activity.

occasions such as..
1) i felt pressure like someone sat down next to me on the couch,
2) i lived with another guy at the time and you cant lock the deadbolt from the outside, and one morning when i left before he did, when he woke up the deadbolt was locked
3) we saw a full cup of milk move about 6 inches across a dinner tray, totally creepy.

there were a few other misc. things but those are what i remember distinctly. i think that spirits are attracted to negative things? i was in a very bad relationship with that guy, so maybe thats why it was there. i havent experienced anything like that since then.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet it's just lingering bathroom issues (that sounds weird
). As for Peaches, well, my cats follow me around the house. They would follow me into the bathroom if I let them.

I wonder, though, since you say you wake up around the same time at night - could you have a neighbor that gets up to use the bathroom every night? (any older neighbors?) It could be that after not having people using the plumbing as much later at night that a neighbor suddenly getting up and flushing is causing the plumbing to make a bit of noise. (it shouldn't if the plumbing is in perfect condition...)
Try paying more attention to noises around your apartment and how they carry.

The house I lived in was pretty obvious. I and a few other people actually seen shadow figures in it. These were solid shadows, no light passed through them, and try as I might I could not recreate that in any way. I was scared at first, since I was 9 when we moved in, but over the years as I got older and used to it I gradually just ended up feeling more annoyed by it's pranks than anything. No one was harmed, there was nothing to fear. If there really is something going on, remember that you really do not have anything to be afraid of. Instead see it as a chance to investigate and learn.

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I bet it's just lingering bathroom issues (that sounds weird
). As for Peaches, well, my cats follow me around the house. They would follow me into the bathroom if I let them.

I wonder, though, since you say you wake up around the same time at night - could you have a neighbor that gets up to use the bathroom every night? (any older neighbors?) It could be that after not having people using the plumbing as much later at night that a neighbor suddenly getting up and flushing is causing the plumbing to make a bit of noise. (it shouldn't if the plumbing is in perfect condition...)
Try paying more attention to noises around your apartment and how they carry.

The house I lived in was pretty obvious. I and a few other people actually seen shadow figures in it. These were solid shadows, no light passed through them, and try as I might I could not recreate that in any way. I was scared at first, since I was 9 when we moved in, but over the years as I got older and used to it I gradually just ended up feeling more annoyed by it's pranks than anything. No one was harmed, there was nothing to fear. If there really is something going on, remember that you really do not have anything to be afraid of. Instead see it as a chance to investigate and learn.
the people that live above me, i have never seen them but yikes, they sure are foot heavy!
maybe that is what wakes me. i will start to pay more attention to the noises, try to learn instead of scare myself. my other cat isnt very attached to me, she is more lovey with my fiance. peaches is the runt, and she is seriously attached to my hip.

that is way creepy about the solid shadows, i have never seen that, ever. you know, i dont know why some people- including myself, are so afraid of paranormal stuff. i am creeped out and nothings even happen to me other than restless nights. im curious to know what kind of pranks were played on you?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silly_ goose

that is way creepy about the solid shadows, i have never seen that, ever. you know, i dont know why some people- including myself, are so afraid of paranormal stuff. i am creeped out and nothings even happen to me other than restless nights. im curious to know what kind of pranks were played on you?
It's human nature to fear the unknown.
Things it would do - move stuff, open/shut doors (it locked me out of the house one time), turn off/on lights (with the way the upstairs was wired this meant suddenly being plunged into complete darkness while trying to climb up the stairs), it would knock on the car windows when my bf (now husband) would drop me off, and that last summer I lived there it would tap on my bedroom walls and ceiling. It would tap for a couple of hours while I was trying to sleep - you stop getting spooked at some point and just get annoyed/mad.

Meanwhile the family pets would either ignore it or leave the room. Once one of our dogs did start growling when a weird noise started up and the tv started quickly flipping channels, she and the cat that had been begging for food (I was eating and watching tv upstairs) ran off downstairs and left me.
I still remember... the tv stopped flipping channels on Rikki Lake and there was a bang from another part of the room. I'm not sure what message it was trying to get through. I wasn't amused since I missed part of the show I was watching.
(If you want more details of that night... I was 11:47, Saturday, and I was eating left over pepper steak - I have a freakish memory sometimes.
)

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just because we don't see spirits doesn't mean they aren't around. I've always believed that animals had that extra sense like some children do that enables them to see things we don't see and understand things we never will.
I was laying on my couch watching TV a few days after my sister, Mary Lou, died. My cat Patches was laying with me. She suddenly jumped up and began watching something (or someone) walking back and forth behind the couch. I know she saw something--I watched her eyes follow this thing intently. It had her full attention. It went on for maybe a full minute. Then she watched it as it left the room. Patches settled back down next to me. I looked at her and said, "Did Mary Lou just visit us Patches?"
So yes I believe these things.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a thought for everyone, for future threads and even if you do believe in this stuff. If the OP is getting spooked to be home (especially if they're home alone), it's best not to feed their fears much. This is one reason why I've been down playing it. Whether there's something there or not isn't the main issue, I just don't want silly_goose afraid to be in her home.

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
strange_wings : thank you, for trying to calm my nerves
i really do appreciate it. lastnight & this morning i didnt feel any fear, and i hope that it stays that way because my fiance is getting moved to another shift.. where he will be home really late. so i do need to find a way to feel comfortable in my own home.

Bellaandme : i do agree that animals can sense/see things that we aren't able to, i just wasnt sure if what was happening could possibly be me over-tuning into what things might really be. i felt confused because sometimes the fear is there, sometimes its not. i do believe that something is there that i cant see, but maybe its not as frightening when im not afraid of it. so, therefore i have to understand that whatever is there isnt going to hurt me

wiccankittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catapault

Sage is cleansing, was used by several Native American tribes for this purpose. Get some fresh sage stems - some supermarkets like Wegmans sells fresh herbs in bunches. Let the stems air dry, then burn. Walk through the bathroom, "fanning" the smoke so it is wafted throughout the room. Might want to use sage in rest of the apartment, just for completeness.

If you like, speak to whatever spirits might be there, telling them that it is time for them to move on, not that you are chasing them away but now you are living here and it is time for them to leave.
I Know from my faith and others in my faith that cats have always "been the eyes to the other world" so yes your cat could be seeing something, but please don't use sage until you know what you are dealing with exactly. Sage will irritate some spirits but I would suggest using Lavender, it calms almost anything upset (including your cat). Do some research on your building or your apartment exactly, find out what this could possibly be. Your cats may be trying to protect you (according to the Wiccan Faith cats are also the protectors from the spirit realm because they can see and interact with that realm). Your local courthouse or library would be your best bets, also talk to your neighbors and see if anything bad or weird has happened in you apartment before.

We had the same issues in our home when we moved in because of a suicide in the bathroom, but after using lavender things returned to normal and the cats stop being over protective of us (I miss them sleeping in the bed they were warm lol)

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WiccanKittyLove

I Know from my faith and others in my faith that cats have always "been the eyes to the other world" so yes your cat could be seeing something, but please don't use sage until you know what you are dealing with exactly. Sage will irritate some spirits but I would suggest using Lavender, it calms almost anything upset (including your cat). Do some research on your building or your apartment exactly, find out what this could possibly be. Your cats may be trying to protect you (according to the Wiccan Faith cats are also the protectors from the spirit realm because they can see and interact with that realm). Your local courthouse or library would be your best bets, also talk to your neighbors and see if anything bad or weird has happened in you apartment before.

We had the same issues in our home when we moved in because of a suicide in the bathroom, but after using lavender things returned to normal and the cats stop being over protective of us (I miss them sleeping in the bed they were warm lol)
yeah there really isnt ANYTHING about these apartments online, when i first wanted to move in i couldnt find any information about them. so that was a little strange. suicide in the bathroom... yikes. that is creepy. when you say lavendar... like a candle or something???
peaches does infact keep me warm, my fiance gets jealous sometimes because i cuddle up with her and not him. the other night she actually snuggled up with me under the covers. it was sweet