cat pooping black tar

skittles_76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a grey tabby female and she is pooping black tar and she has an odor not just the poop but i mean her and she has always been a lil leave me alone at times but never hatefull and now she is even hatefull to me i mean down right going to fight me and sleeps all the time eats a lil less than normal and she is 3 yrs old inside cat and not fixed and never had kittens.. I know she needs to go to vet and will but Im just wondering what all this could be

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You need to get her to a vet as soon as possible. Black tar stools are usually an indication of blood in the stool, which can have a number of different causes. In any case, it's something that needs to be addressed immediately. Take a fresh stool sample with you to the vet so they can check it out.

The change in personality could be because she's sick and in pain.

for your kitty.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she eating? sleeping? playing normally?

Have you recently changed foods?

It could be posioning causing internal bleeding... Ie get to the vet ASAP

Is she spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skittles_76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes they both stopped eating the food I had before and so did my moms cats we both got the same kind of cat food it is the good life at wal mart and I bought another bag of different food just maybe 2 weeks ago the cat eats just a lil less than normal but eats everyday and drinks and uses the potty just today we came in and found it in the floor and it looks black and very sticky and hard to clean up and she is acting her normal... but she does sleep alot more and she isnt fixed and she is inside always and only been a few months that I had to take her for a skin allergy but we got that cleared up but it is starting to come back tho but thats how she has been with those skin allergies since she was a baby they just have came and gone on her all the time but she isnt crying or acting like she is in pain just a lil more hatefull than her normal just love me when i want it attitude she has always had and yes she will be going to the vet but i am doing what i can till i can get her there we live like 40 miles from the vet and i know that is not far but just dont judge me please i love my pets and i do my very best for them and they see the vet on regular trips and are taking care of as if they was my kids

as i type my mc is curling up in front of me and the laptop he thinks he is a tiny baby lol oh and his potty habits have gotten lots better he does not have a uti he just wanted the cover back on his potty to poop in and pee in the open top one lol

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are masters at hiding pain, illness, etc. I am not judging you, but if it was one of my cats, he would have been stuffed in a carrier, stool sample in a baggie and out the door - get outta my way and to the vet PRONTO!

skittles_76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so would I if I had the money and no money till this thursday

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skittles_76

so would I if I had the money and no money till this thursday
I am sure your vet can take a check 'till then... Call them tomorrow and ask... Holding a check for a couple of days is not going to make him any poorer... Seriously... Many are on this situation... you are not going to be the first or the last...

skittles_76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just talked to vet and he said no food for 24 hours and if she is no better at all in the morning after giving her pepto 2 times a day to call him back in the morning and then bring her in so now have to go get the pepto

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

just talked to vet and he said no food for 24 hours and if she is no better at all in the morning after giving her pepto 2 times a day to call him back in the morning and then bring her in so now have to go get the pepto
Clarify the Pepto .. It now contains the active ingredient in Aspirin which is TOXIC to cat s

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Clarify the Pepto .. It now contains the active ingredient in Aspirin which is TOXIC to cat s
Salicylic acid and acetylsalicylic acid aren't the same thing. But, I have no idea at to just how safe salicylic acid would be for a cat, so it's best avoided.
(though some do recommend certain acne skin cleaners for cat acne.. not sure I'd take that risk myself)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Salicylic acid and acetylsalicylic acid aren't the same thing. But, I have no idea at to just how safe salicylic acid would be for a cat, so it's best avoided.
(though some do recommend certain acne skin cleaners for cat acne.. not sure I'd take that risk myself)
Pep-to contains Active ingredient in aspirin( it breaks down into it)...
No I would not use acne stuff on anything but...http://chemistry.about.com/od/demons...ss/aspirin.htm might help as it shows that one goes to make the other...

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1459&aid=1456

skittles_76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
pepto bismuth liquid

benzoic acid, flavor, magnesium aluminum silicate, methyl cellulose, purified water, saccharin sodium, salicylic acid, sodium salicytate, sorbic acid

said to give her 1/3 tablespoon 2 times a day and this vet has been my vet since 99 and he has never done anything wrong and never has had any complaints either I trust him

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

this vet has been my vet since 99 and he has never done anything wrong and never has had any complaints either I trust him
The thing is a lot of vets are great vets, but they're better with dogs. More people take their dogs to the vet, after all. (I'd like to think that dedicated cat owners will end up spending more in the long run than the average dog owner, though
)
What happens is you get a vet that had more experience with drugs that are safe for dogs - pepto is an example of this. Dogs can have small amounts of it because their livers are very different from a cats. A lot of these vets can forget that cats are far far more sensitive due to the fact that their livers cannot clear toxins very well.

So while your vet may be a good vet, he goofed on cat metabolism. In these cases you press your vet to go recheck their text books before dosing your cat.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait a minute... your cat is feeling poorly... pooping tarry stools (or possible tarry stools) which is a sign of internal bleeding and all your vet says to do is give Pepto to the kitty?????

I would believe the folks on here that Pepto is a no-no for cats.

Can you get a financial advance from someone to TAKE the cat to the vet ALONG with a stool sample???? And pay that person back when you get paid??

skittles_76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
vet said to give her 1/3 of a table spoon and call him in the morning since giving her this she hasnt barfed or had the nasty poops but I am going to get her into the vet later on today...

this cat is a very sickly cat... she always has been since the day I got her she was a stray at a yard sale and she has been to the vet on regualr basis for one thing or another wrong with her and I have 1 more cat in the house and 2 small dogs in the house and a parrot and none of them are sick or doing the same thing she is and I have 3 outside dogs they not sick either and normaly when she goes to the vet it is 35 just to see the vet and then meds or test and it is also 40 miles to the vets office so the vet helps me do at home what I can but like I said all my other pets are healthy and nothing wrong with them and on the money I am disabled and I am waiting on my bf to get his check from work and I looked into getting help with this online and they said it had to be a life or death and what is wrong with her didnt qualify to get help with her vet bills and well unless anyone wants to make a donation lol im stuck doing what I can

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your vet is old school, he may not be aware that three years ago, Pepto Bismol changed their formula. The new stuff is very toxic to the cats. I would encourage you to cease feeding her anymore of the pink stuff.

If her stool looks black and she is pooping on the floor- it is a sign she is quite ill. You can find out if she is pooping blood (which is what it might be) by taking a jar you don't much care about and filling it with warm to hot water. Drop the stool into the jar and see if the water turns red. If it does, she needs a vet PRONTO.

I would also strongly urge you to get her spayed. She becomes open to some nasty infections being unspayed- and some of what she might be in line for will kill her fairly quickly. I am sure there is a low-cost spay and neuter clinic in your area- they are pretty much all over the United States these days.

Please see if you can find another vet one that keeps up with the times.

ASPIRIN (ACETYLSALICYLIC ACID, SALICYLATE) Pepto-BismolSources Many analgesic, antiinflammatory, antipyretic, and anticliartheal (Pepto-Bismol) agents that contain salicylates are sold as OTC preparations. Some keratolytic products contain salicylates.

Mechanism of action Acetylsalicylic acid inhibits cyclooxygenase, which then inhibits production of certain prostaglandins, including protective prostaglandins of the E series. High levels are known to directly stimulate the respiratory center (early) to cause an initial respiratory alkalosis. High doses are also known to uncouple' oxidative phosphorylation and may cause hyperglycemia and glycosuria.

Clinical signs The biologic half-life of aspirin is 7.5 to 8 hours in dogs and 38 to 45 hours in cats at a dose of 25 mg/kg/day. The toxic dose in cats is >25 mg/kg/day in cats and >50 mg/kg/day in dogs. Signs are noted within 4 to 6 hours after ingestion of a toxic dose and include depression, vorniting, anorexia and lethargy, tachypnea (caused by initial respiratory alkalosis), and hyperthermia. The vomitus may be blood-tinged from GI ulceration. CNS depression leads to muscle weakness and ataxia; coma and death can occur within I or more days. Gastrointestinal ulceration or perforation may be seen after the administration of repeated doses over several days' duration. Anemia, bone marrow depression, Heinz body formation (cats), and toxic hepatitis may occur.

Toxic signs may be seen at doses of Pepto-Bismol >7 mL/kg/day in dogs and cats. Two tablespoons of PeptoBismol contain the salicylate equivalent of one 5-grain aspirin tablet.

Treatment There is no specific antidote. The stomach should be emptied by induction of emesis or lavage if within <2 hours of ingestion though there are literature reports that gastric evacuation may be of value up to 12 hours after ingestion of enteric-coated aspirin preparations. Multiple-dose activated charcoal is warranted. Acid-base balance is corrected as needed; diuresis is instituted. Alkalinization of the urine with sodium bicarbonate can be done to hasten urinary excretion, though this requires intense monitoring and is difficult to achieve safely. Peritoneal dialysis allows direct removal of salicylic acid from serum. Gastric ulceration or perforation is treated as needed.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

they said it had to be a life or death and what is wrong with her didnt qualify to get help with her vet bills and well unless anyone wants to make a donation lol im stuck doing what I can
That's just strange. I've been using my vet clinic for years (been going there for 20+ years if you count childhood pets) and they've always been willing to take payments. Are you sure your vet won't work something out with you?