Special Kitty cat litter

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh. I didn't think about it when I bought this stuff.. but it is horrible! Normally I use tidy cat. It isn't too dusty, and it keeps the smell down very well. This special kitty stuff is complete crap! It reeks within days. It is SO dusty. Poor Lucy jumped in the litter box right after I refilled it (I scrubbed them today) and immediately started coughing and sneezing. I finished off the bag today, so next time it is back to Tidy Cat. We will just buy it from Sam's where I can get a big bag cheap. Yeesh.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah... not a fan of the Walmart litter. Not a fan of Tidy Cat either... but you get what you can afford that the kits will use, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are some Tidy Cat types I can't stand, but what ever the one we get is, isn't a problem. Luckily, my kitties aren't picky- I just don't like all that dust!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Yeah... not a fan of the Walmart litter. Not a fan of Tidy Cat either... but you get what you can afford that the kits will use, right?
One thing I have noticed though is that whats affordable isn't easy to see at first glance.

Swheat Scoop Multicat is now available at Petsmart in those huge (I think 40lb) bags which reduces the cost, its biodegradable and flushable (if one considers environmental costs), and since you really don't need to throw out mass quantities all the time for becoming smelly quickly (for most just topping it off replenishes it gradually keeping it fresh) so you have less waste, and hopefully less long term medical issues from the almost total lack of dust for them to inhale.

Its like the food debate. Cats often eat far less of the quality food, and it can prevent long-term health issues, making the price about the same (or better).

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yea I'm not a fan of the special kitty either. I don't use litter anymore since I got the TidyCats Breeze System but when I did I liked the TidyCats or ScoopAway multiple cat scooping formulas. Are you usng clumping or regular clay?

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My favorite so far is the Tidy Cat for multiple cats- and yes it's clumping. I am always happy to try others too. As long as it isn't too costly, has good odor control, and isn't incredibly dusty, so if anyone has suggestions, I am happy to take them!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why I keep with Dr Elsey's... No Dust, great clumping, great odor control... Never had a problem with it... ever...
In fact, let me post again the rebate form for the free bag if one of you haven't use it yet.... even if you have bought Dr. Elsey's in the past, you can still buy one bag and send the rebate form for a free bag for free. Limit is one rebate per household per lifetime.
Here you go: http://www.preciouscat.com/pdf/Free_...ll_8-17-06.pdf

by the way, it is valid for the 40lb bag too!

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll have to look into it! I think I pay 7 for the 30lb tub of the Tidy cat at walmart, but maybe I can find alternative stuff online that isn't too bad.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You must have used the non-clumping stuff....yeah, the Special Kitty non-clumping is horrible. No odor control at all and it's SO dusty. But Special Kitty clumping litter is my favorite, and I've tried almost every brand and formula of clumping litter. I find it less dusty than Tidy Cats clumping litter, and it clumps better, too. Sometimes it just takes some experimentation to find your favorite.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

You must have used the non-clumping stuff....yeah, the Special Kitty non-clumping is horrible. No odor control at all and it's SO dusty. But Special Kitty clumping litter is my favorite, and I've tried almost every brand and formula of clumping litter. I find it less dusty than Tidy Cats clumping litter, and it clumps better, too. Sometimes it just takes some experimentation to find your favorite.
I am now using it as my other fave is tidy cats breathe easy ... lol... under 5$ for 16lbs of special kitty or 11-13 for the breathe easy in a 20lb... I have three boxes with different litters as some will pee and poop in anything and others have issues or allergies

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with Carolina on the Dr. Elsey's as clumping clay litter goes. Pet stores overcharge for the stuff, unfortunately. I am lucky in that there is a discount place near my BF's house that sells it at a reasonable price.

I recall someone saying on here that one of the grain based litters made her house smell like a barn or something like that. Don't remember if it was Swheat Scoop or WBCL.

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
right now we use tidy cat scoop for multiple cats I scoop daily and have no problems, but we only have one little kitten. We have used the special kitty clumping litter and aldi brand clumping litter in the past with no issues, we also mixed in a little baking soda though.

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if it was clumping litter. I dump the bag into a Tidy Cat box so it is sealed, I'm pretty sure the bag was read though.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

I'm with Carolina on the Dr. Elsey's as clumping clay litter goes. Pet stores overcharge for the stuff, unfortunately. I am lucky in that there is a discount place near my BF's house that sells it at a reasonable price.

I recall someone saying on here that one of the grain based litters made her house smell like a barn or something like that. Don't remember if it was Swheat Scoop or WBCL.
Im using WBCL right now and cannot stand the smell! It does smell very barny!
I may have to try Dr Elsey's though!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laceface

I'm not sure if it was clumping litter. I dump the bag into a Tidy Cat box so it is sealed, I'm pretty sure the bag was read though.
Does the litter come in a bag only? if yes that is the NON clumping..

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What type of Special Kitty did you get? The kind I use is the least dusty of any litter I've tried and has excellent odor control. I also find that it scatters less than TidyCats. Then there's the feline preference test. When I was switching over I put the TidyCats that I had been using in one litter box and Special Kitty in another, and all of my cats used the Special Kitty exclusively.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laceface

Yeah, the red paper bag stuff is the unscented non-clumping. The clumping litter comes in a cardboard box or in a plastic jug, depending what size you get. You can also tell the difference because non-clumping litter looks like rocks, and clumping litter looks like sand.

I tried the Special Kitty non-clumping litter (both scented and unscented) when I had little kittens, and it was so bad I had to change it the next day. For non-clumping litter I like Fresh Step best, although Tidy Cats isn't bad.