at what age do kittens start spraying?

tiffany01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just as the title says
ALSO, why do kittens meow sooo much? Casper is 4 months he just meows at the top of his lungs when you move him.....the vet said he is a happy and heathy lil kitten. ALSO, the vet said that we cant get him fixed till thanksgiving.

breamarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tiffany01

Just as the title says
ALSO, why do kittens meow sooo much? Casper is 4 months he just meows at the top of his lungs when you move him.....the vet said he is a happy and heathy lil kitten. ALSO, the vet said that we cant get him fixed till thanksgiving.
I've heard of a few cats that started spraying around 5 months, but I think that's pretty early.
The vet might not like to do neuters that early, but you can definitely get him done before that. My kitten just got neutered at 4 months old. If I were you, I'd look for a different vet/low cost clinic to do it. Especially with a male cat, I'd be really afraid that they'd start spraying and not stop once they get neutered. My mom's cat was neutered after he was a year old, and he still sprays like crazy. It's SO nasty!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most males won't start spraying until they're about 8 months old or so. But some start earlier. 6 months should be a safe age, but if you want to have it done earlier you can find another vet who will do it now.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens as young as 4 months old can breed so he could start any time (most time the boys would be more likely to try breeding before they would spray).

Kittens should be neutered/spayed by 3-4 months old. If your vet won't do it now, then find one that will do it. Shelters do it at 8 weeks and 2 lbs. There is no reason to hold off in neutering/spaying till 6 months old any more unless the kitten is not in good shape (health wise).