1 month old kitten lost use of hind legs

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 1 month old kitten that was doing just fine until 2 days ago when i found it had somehow got into a plastic clothes basket with its only other sister kitten. The other kitten climbed out when i saw them but this one was sleeping and when i checked a few hours later it was still there. I picked it up and put it on the floor and noticed it was sorta dragging its hind legs, like it could not stand up straight. That was around 6 pm on Tuesday. Tuesday morning it was fine. Yesterday it was still was the same.. I thought maybe it got its hind legs stuck in the open handle of the basket and broke its hind legs or pulled them out of joint. This morning it was no better and a bit worse matter of fact, seems to be struggling with the front legs. so i took it to the vet at 4.30 today. He didnt take xrays and gave it 3 injections. A pain killer, a anti inflammatory and a antibiotic. He told me to call him at 8 in the morning if there is no change in the condition and he will take xrays. So far no change going on 5 hours later. Kitten is still nursing and has been drinking water and bits of kibble for maybe about a week. Although it seems to not have an appetite today except for nursing from mama. About a 1/2 hour ago i put it in the litter box and saw it pee but Ive only saw 3 poos and i dont know which kitten did 2 of them. I saw the other one do it last night. Anyone ever hear of anything like this? I am so worried about the little guy... I have a feeling its going to be a long night....

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont have any answers, although Im worrying me too....

Good you were to the vet, and lets hope he will be going on - it seems he counts with it: if the easy treatment is no solution, he will try out next possiblilities... There are prob several different possibilities.

You will perhaps get better answers in the Health forum (which really is a sickedness-forum). I had already asked a mod to consider a move....

Im deeply feeling both with you and this kitten.

Good luck and sending wibes!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

The kitten's heart should probably be checked out. A condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (genetic) can lead to blood clots, and a so-called saddle thrombosis could paralyze the hind legs. I'm not saying that's the case here, but it wouldn't hurt to rule out that possibility.

Many for your kitten.
The above is what happened to my dearly departed FAng. He was in terrible pain, he was euthanized, the vet did not offer much in the way of any solution. Perhaps since your guy is so young, there may be a way to reverse the paralysis, and medicate to prevent, IF it is a blood clot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for moving this to right place StepanZ. And for the and replies

It was a long night. I called the vet this morning because there was no change... He told me there was no use doing any further tests, although it was my money and if i wanted to spend it he would do what i wanted but the cat would probably have life long problems.... I asked if this could be a neurological disorder and he said YES, possibly caused by a heart condition/blood clot.

I did loose another cat this year from the same mama (DUKE) more and likely from the same condition. The vet said if i wanted he would euthanize... Well the vet secretary talked me out of that in a second. She said let god and nature take over. I have named the kitty Buster.

I went to work and expected to come home and find him in worse shape or gone.. BUT he seems to be DOING BETTER, UNLESS he is having his last good time before crossing.... He has not ate any kibble but he did have a drink of water and he is nursing. He went pee 2 times that i know of.... He does not appear to be in any pain.... He was playing rough with the other kitten just 1/2 hour ago. He is not 100% better but he is standing on all 4 and moving his back legs instead of dragging them....... I will post again soon with updates..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by ms cat love

I did loose another cat this year from the same mama (DUKE) more and likely from the same condition. The vet said if i wanted he would euthanize... Well the vet secretary talked me out of that in a second. She said let god and nature take over.
Two different statements, and an answer to each of them.

Consider strongly spaying of the mama, as soon the kittens are weaned. Even if you are a pure breeder, you dont want to breed on a cat with suspected tendency to have sick kittens.
If you arent a breeder, there is not much to think about.

If you let her have kittens becouse you do love kittens (you apparently do!), you can always cooperate with some sympathetic rescue group or a good shelter, and be one of their foster-homes - specializing on helping high preg momas and their kittens. There is a big need for such fosterers. God does approve this, believe me.

About leaving to God and nature: This is actually not a bad advice - recoverings do happen now and then, sometimes even from serious conditions. But of course it depends on! The kittens must not suffer (yours is not suffering you do witness). And if the way downhill is clearly hopeless - dont wait too long. It is terribly to witness loving cat owners, who desperately clung to some remote hope, although their old friend is clearly dying - and the cat goes away in pains on his own.... Terrible and horrible.

Keep us updated, and good luck!

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually am part of a rescue group and have caught more than a few dozen cats in my days and turned them over to a shelter. I am very lucky to live by a no kill shelter which i see on this site is not the case in every area of the world.

I am not a pure breeder and raising kittens for money. It has to do with the fact i have 1 female cat here that has an attitude that is unlike anything i have ever encountered. She is about 5 years old by now and has given birth 8 times and 1 miscarriage that i know of..

Soooo i have a grand total of 17 cats all together at my house (not all are her babies about half of them are)... good thing for a barn and a huge spread of land in the country..

I dont have any un- fixed males running around here but they sure do show up from somewhere when Oscar the grouch (thats mama cats name) becomes inheat..

I did have her caged with this litter for what good it did me, no one will fix a cat who has just gave birth and pts is not my style.. I do have her contained in a room right now with only a cage. so my agenda is to get her fixed for sure when the time is right... The kitten is doing better today but still not 100%... It is still nursing and i will not take that away from it. It does not appear to be in any pain and if it does i will have to deal with it accordingly, which i hope not... Thanks again for the keep em coming

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He didnt make it... This morning i found him struggling. I wrapped him a blankie and held him till he passed...

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A miracle happened today.. I caught the mama and she was spayed today... Im still in shock that it happened... she is doing good and really protecting her 1 kitten.. I thought she mught shun it.. she went right to it when i opened the cage

suzieq77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your little one

Congrats on getting mama fixed though.I know exactly what you mean about the attitude.My Mom has a cat (was mine from when I was a kid) that is almost 24 years old and as nasty as the day I got her!!!!! Everyone is always amazed at how old she is but as we tell them "Evil lives forever!!!!" lol!

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by suzieQ77

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your little one

Congrats on getting mama fixed though.I know exactly what you mean about the attitude.My Mom has a cat (was mine from when I was a kid) that is almost 24 years old and as nasty as the day I got her!!!!! Everyone is always amazed at how old she is but as we tell them "Evil lives forever!!!!" lol!
lol.. her name is Oscar the grouch...I left the door to her room open and she is hiding with the kitten this morning under my bed.. last night she kept dragging the kitten by the neck under the bed and all its toy mice... the kitten is 7 to 8 weeks old.. As with the past litters with the toys.. I thinks she thinks shes hunting them real mice and bringing them food...

suzieq77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's so sweet
My Mom's evil one is named Whitley,I named her when I was 10.She was quite the hunter in her day too,she actually brought home a couple rabbits on occasion.Ofcourse she seemed really sweet when I picked her then 2 days later I broke my foot and was stuck on the couch,she took that oppurtunity to run at me and bite me ALL DAY!!! I still love her though