Originally Posted by jharm
Even with no bacteria, he was put on antibiotics? Did he ever get a diagnosis or was it just as a safety measure? How is he now? Luckily, Banana (cat) hasn't vocalized any pain and seems to be sitting in the litter in a normal manner. I actually do have a packet of pH test strips. The trouble will just be attempting to stick one of those between his legs or wiping up any urine from the box...
The antibiotics were given for possible inflammation as he did not have bacteria in his urine and (only) fairly low amount of crystals were found. He was in considerable pain while we were waiting for the lab results, and the pain was def helped by the meds tho I suspected he could have passed some crystals/blockage too and got relief from that. I do not know if pain meds would have been a better option.
He had to change the antibiotics after few days due to serious stomach upset, and the discomfort did return after 24 hrs when not on meds, so I am certainly happy he was on something. We started a second (10-day) course and he has been fine since. It did take 2+ weeks that he was weirded out going to potty. He was generally downcast (also from the first antibiotic making him sickly), and going to potty was obviously not normal fluent and voluminous big boy biz it usually is for him.
Right now I am watching him like a hawk and I want to make sure this does not become a chronic problem. He's already learnt a routine about going to the potty together. It would be extremely easy to test his pee, he'll pee in a cup for me. Where could I get these strips?? I would love to see which way his pH has gone since the episode, whether it's normalizing or getting further from good without meds. Paid $160 for his panel alone and could certainly save a bit for the second opinion by keeping an eye on this on our own first. I would also be interested in seeing other boys' values, esp if planning to get supplements, to see if they'd need to go on it yet.