Which eye ointment?

brooklet425

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I promise I am a person who takes my cats to the vet at every little sign of something wrong, but recently I've spent an excessive amount of money at the vet so if I can treat something at home, I'd really prefer that.

So...I have a cat who's eye looks scratched. Its not infected. It just looks irritated and watery. I'm guessing its a scratch based on the last 2 times I dealt with eye scratches. Plus we've had herpes outbreaks several times and this doesn't seem to be herpes. So with that being said I've been given medicine for scratched eyes and for herpes, and I stupidly took them out of the prescription bottle a while back and that had a cat's name on it so I just have the actual medicine container now. My hope was to read the cat's name so I could remember which cat I gave which medicine too.

I have erythromycin ophthalmic ointment and NeoPolyDex ophthalmic drops. I've been googling, but all I keep finding is just that they are medicines used to treat eye infections in cats. I've used both for herpes outbreaks, which the vet said was fine to do, but I know that one of these was specifically prescribed the last time i had a cat with a probable eye scratch. So does anyone know which one I'm supposed to use? I'm hoping to treat this at home, while keeping an eye on it in case it does end up worse.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would just call your vet and ask which one is for eye scratches. Even if they recommend you come in, they should tell you which is for what purpose. It would be good to know anyway to mark on the tubes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brooklet425

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry - I should have mentioned. I did call, but the vet is in surgery so I'm waiting for a call back. I figured I'd ask here because when its not an emergency this vet takes a while to call back sometimes.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hopefully someone else will come along that knows. We got some ointment last week for Jinkers and Spooky's eye irritation from their URI but it doesn't match either of the ones you mentioned.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does your cat have Herpes. I have a cat diagnosed with that. She takes lysine everyday. From time to time, her eyes get runny. The vet has told me it is always important to know if you are dealing with a scratch or an ulcer before treating the cat's eye. That being said, I always take my Mattie to let them have a look before putting anything in her eye.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am going through the same thing with Leo. We took him to the vet two days ago because he was pawing at his left eye, rubbing it and keeping it closed. We are applying Terramycin 3-4 times a day for 10 days.
Marina

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NeoPolyDex ophthalmic drops is used for scratches, but should NOT be used on cats with the herpes virus.

I would suggest a trip to the vet since there is a scratch involved.

Terramycin would be a safer choice IMHO.

brooklet425

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

NeoPolyDex ophthalmic drops is used for scratches, but should NOT be used on cats with the herpes virus.

I would suggest a trip to the vet since there is a scratch involved.

Terramycin would be a safer choice IMHO.
Thanks everyone. The vet did end up calling me back and I didn't get a chance to post on here. I'm 99% sure its a scratch, not herpes based on how the cat is acting. A few of my cats do have herpes and even though their eyes get watery and goopy, they tend to leave them alone. This little one had a scratch on the outside of her eye also (it looks like another cat scratched her while playing), and the eye was watery, but not goopy, and she was pawing at it like it was annoying her. So I used the NeoPolyDex drops and her eye already looks completely normal again. I'll definitely take her in to the vet if it gets worse, but with a house full of 11 cats, scratches on the face aren't that uncommon (we do clip their nails, but it still never fails that someone will have a scratch somewhere on them), and I'd be completely broke if I made a vet trip for every single scratch. We do keep an eye on these things though and they're at the vet at the first sign of something looking worse than just a simple irritation.

Carolina - can I ask you a question though? Why shouldn't the NeoPolyDex drops be used on a cat with herpes? The vet I go to is known as one of the best vets in this area of the state and he said that the NeoPolyDex drops and the erythromycin can both be used for herpes outbreaks, but the erythromycin is the better choice. I'm just wondering what the problem is because I've used both before - as per the vet's recommendation.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brooklet425

Thanks everyone. The vet did end up calling me back and I didn't get a chance to post on here. I'm 99% sure its a scratch, not herpes based on how the cat is acting. A few of my cats do have herpes and even though their eyes get watery and goopy, they tend to leave them alone. This little one had a scratch on the outside of her eye also (it looks like another cat scratched her while playing), and the eye was watery, but not goopy, and she was pawing at it like it was annoying her. So I used the NeoPolyDex drops and her eye already looks completely normal again. I'll definitely take her in to the vet if it gets worse, but with a house full of 11 cats, scratches on the face aren't that uncommon (we do clip their nails, but it still never fails that someone will have a scratch somewhere on them), and I'd be completely broke if I made a vet trip for every single scratch. We do keep an eye on these things though and they're at the vet at the first sign of something looking worse than just a simple irritation.

Carolina - can I ask you a question though? Why shouldn't the NeoPolyDex drops be used on a cat with herpes? The vet I go to is known as one of the best vets in this area of the state and he said that the NeoPolyDex drops and the erythromycin can both be used for herpes outbreaks, but the erythromycin is the better choice. I'm just wondering what the problem is because I've used both before - as per the vet's recommendation.
Not indicated, I would not use it.

Contraindications

MAXITROLÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] (neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates and dexamethasone ophthalmic suspension) is contraindicated in most viral diseases of the cornea and conjunctiva, including epithelial herpes simplex keratitis (dendritic keratitis), vaccinia, varicella, and also in mycobacterial infection of the eye and fungal diseases of ocular structures. MAXITROLÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] is also contraindicated in individuals with known or suspected hypersensitivity to any of the ingredients of this preparation and to other corticosteroids.
http://www.rrvp.com/midwestveterinar...l.htm?moreinfo
Features/Use/Recommendation

Neo Poly Dex should not be used in animals allergic to any of its individual ingredients. The medication should not be used in cats with possible herpes virus infection. Contact the veterinarian if the condition does not show signs of improving within 48 hours, or, if the condition worsens. Do not touch the applicator tip of the bottle or tube to the eye or skin to prevent contamination of the medication.http://www.pet-source.com/neodexophth
\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tPrecautions

\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tCertain precautions should be taken while or prior to administering the medicine to the pet. Neo Poly Dex Ophthalmic Ointment must not be given to animals that are allergic to its contents. The medication should not be prescribed for cats with possible chances of herpes virus infection. If the condition of the pet shows no improvement within 48 hours or if the condition deteriorates further, do consult a veterinarian. While applying the medicine, never touch the applicator tip of the bottle or tube to the eye or skin to prevent the medicine from getting contaminated.http://www.petcarerx.com/pcrx/Health...aspx?mid=11547
\t\t\t\t\t\t\t
What special precautions are there for Neo Poly Dex Ophth Oint:\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tNeo Poly Dex should not be used in animals allergic to any of its individual ingredients. The medication should not be used in cats with possible herpes virus infection. Contact the veterinarian if the condition does not show signs of improving within 48 hours, or, if the condition worsens. Do not touch the applicator tip of the bottle or tube to the eye or skin to prevent contamination of the medication. \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\thttp://www.animalshelter.org/petmeds..._Oint/103.html

brooklet425

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info. That's really interesting. That actually has me worried now because I've definitely used it before. I have a vet appointment for another cat tomorrow so I'm going to have a talk with the vet about it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brooklet425

Thanks for the info. That's really interesting. That actually has me worried now because I've definitely used it before. I have a vet appointment for another cat tomorrow so I'm going to have a talk with the vet about it.
I would... the information is pretty much everywhere... And since herpes is a virus that is always somewhat "there", there is no cure for it, I would just not risk it in a herpes kitty even when the infection you are treating is not a herpes infection.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet .... I happen to have 3 confirmed herpes cats and I use it for nose issues ... note mine do not have issues with herpes in the eyes

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's the Dexamethasone (steroid) in the ointment/drops that is contraindicated.

Ocular_Herpes
The management of ocular herpes is a highly specialized subject. In general, topical steroids must never be prescribed in any condition of the eye which carries the slightest suspicion of being ocular herpes. Surgical cleansing of the cornea (debridement) makes a significant contribution to healing and complements local antiviral chemotherapy. Secondary bacterial infection should be treated by antibiotics. There is a wide choice of anti- HSV preparations available and selection is difficult and mostly reflects personal preferences. A liberal amount of ointment should be used 5 to 6 times a day. Steroids are harmful and are strongly contraindicated in many forms of ocular herpes. When inadvertently used, dendritic and conjunctival ulcers fail to heal and spread to form large corneal ulcers which may perforate. The only situation when steroids are indicated are in the treatment of ocular herpes of the internal eye.

http://virology-online.com/viruses/HSV.htm

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

It's the Dexamethasone (steroid) in the ointment/drops that is contraindicated.

Ocular_Herpes
The management of ocular herpes is a highly specialized subject. In general, topical steroids must never be prescribed in any condition of the eye which carries the slightest suspicion of being ocular herpes. Surgical cleansing of the cornea (debridement) makes a significant contribution to healing and complements local antiviral chemotherapy. Secondary bacterial infection should be treated by antibiotics. There is a wide choice of anti- HSV preparations available and selection is difficult and mostly reflects personal preferences. A liberal amount of ointment should be used 5 to 6 times a day. Steroids are harmful and are strongly contraindicated in many forms of ocular herpes. When inadvertently used, dendritic and conjunctival ulcers fail to heal and spread to form large corneal ulcers which may perforate. The only situation when steroids are indicated are in the treatment of ocular herpes of the internal eye.

http://virology-online.com/viruses/HSV.htm
very good info ...
Ocular herpes is a different being than what we generally call herpes on here same virus often differing symptoms...Mine have never had a corneal episode, but many uri episodes

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

very good info ...
Ocular herpes is a different being than what we generally call herpes on here same virus often differing symptoms...Mine have never had a corneal episode, but many uri episodes
Sorry...my brain sometimes gets human medicine and feline medicine intermingled...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Sorry...my brain sometimes gets human medicine and feline medicine intermingled...
that is okay.. I do that alot too

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet.... because everywhere I look it says to not give to a cat with the regular Herpes Virus. I did not see anything before about ocular herpes...
While it is good information, I still do not think it excludes the regular herpes virus it is listed on all warnings everywhere else.
Please bring this issue to your vet. IMHO I rather be on the safe side and use something else, since there are other choices available.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Carolina, just wanted to say thanks for giving the heads up about asking the vet about the meds, I totally agree. I had the same problem with the Amforal and I was told they felt no need to tell me it was being used "off label" (more like contraindicated) for my cat. I think it is very important to get all the info you can on the meds you use for your cats, and research, because you won't always be told....

Hope your kitty's eye is better Brooklet

softpaww

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our (new) vet doesn't seem to know what is going on with our cat's eye.  He gets this about every 3 years and the "neo-poly-dex" worked before and as long as we use it 2x daily, it is working now, but the moment we stop, within hours, his eye is runny, and conjunctive.  They gave me teramycin ointment to try instead and an antihistimine.  Does anybody know if I can alternate between one and the other....drops and ointment or would there/could there be an issue?

pilotom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
NeoPolyDex is NOT, NOT used for scratches in the eye.  It can, in fact, make these a LOT worse.  NeoPolyDex contains steroids and steroids, while effective in reducing inflammation if a cat just has an eye infection, can prevent scratches from healing. 

NeoPolyDex is also not good if your cat is experiencing a Herpes flare-up since it can make the flare-up last longer.

Be very careful applying eye drops/ointments to a cat - especially when the medication includes steroids.  You can end up damaging the eye long term.