dusty litter

dbwynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
can anyone help me? I have five (5) indoor cats, and they have a huge litter box that they use more than a smaller one. anyway I keep this box in my "mud room" I use clumping litter and the problem is that the dust from the litter is terrible. I am constanly wiping down everything this is an everyday thing. I have tried every litter on the market and it all creates dust. can it be the fact that with the five cats that they are distrubing the litter more than if I only had one or two using the box? the dust even travles to other areas of the house. I can dust and the next day its like I have not even dusted the furniture and wood work in the house. I am afraid that this is going to make my cats as well as myself sick. can anyone recommend a litter that will create a mimmium amount of dust, please help, I am desperate.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well this is my opinion but I feel Tidy Cats original non-clumping formula (yellow and red colors on the packaging) is low on dust.

I get mine at the supermarket

kazzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've just read about this recently, and I'm planning to try it out: http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/

It's supposed to be dust free. I hate cleaning the litter box out only to get knocked in the face with all that nasty dust. And I know it can't be good for Lightbulb if any of the dust gets into his urinary tract.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^There's a little dust, but it shouldn't be as much as most clay litters have. Since it's such a dramatic litter change, try it out in just one or two boxes first.

cat_crazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's a little bit of dust with the WBCL, but not very much. It does smell kind of odd. I can't quite put my finger on the smell.
I use chick feed as an alternative to WBCL. It's much cheaper and works practically the same.

kazzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chick feed? Hmm, I may have to give that a try someday. I just bought WBCL today. I haven't put any into the box. Should I just sprinkle some on top so as to not shock Lightbulb?

Sorry, thread jack haha

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Feline Pine and have had great success. Of course, these are just my 2 kitties. I have also found I use less.

cat_crazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kazzy

Chick feed? Hmm, I may have to give that a try someday. I just bought WBCL today. I haven't put any into the box. Should I just sprinkle some on top so as to not shock Lightbulb?

Sorry, thread jack haha
It depends. My cats don't care what litter I put in. They'll still use it.
However, if your cat does care, you'll want to mix the litter to begin with and gradually change it to WBCL.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WBCL is corn based, right? I also hate the litter dust. I use a disposable, paper procedure mask when I clean the pans. Dr. Elsey's Precious Cats is about the best for dust that I have found re: clay litter, but it is not cheap. Neither is WBCL. A friend of mine who rescues uses a combo of horse bedding pellets and Jonny Cat (cheap litter) and swears by it.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat_crazy

It does smell kind of odd. I can't quite put my finger on the smell.
IIRC, someone here recently described WBCL as sickly sweet when it's untouched, but quickly it develops a nauseating nasty smell when it touches waste.

I agreed.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WBCL smells something horrible & nauseating to me when a kitty pees in it. I too got the free sample bag.

I have 10 indoor cats, and was using Arm & Hammer unscented multi cat. It was dusty & still smelled a bit to me - perfume like not poop like.

I recently special ordered (4) 40 lb bags of Dr Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra. We're only 5 days into it & so far I like it, as do the kitties. IMO it weighs less than the A&H. It is notably much less dusty. No perfumed smell that I can detect. It also scoops/clumps much better.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

WBCL smells something horrible & nauseating to me when a kitty pees in it. I too got the free sample bag.

I have 10 indoor cats, and was using Arm & Hammer unscented multi cat. It was dusty & still smelled a bit to me - perfume like not poop like.

I recently special ordered (4) 40 lb bags of Dr Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra. We're only 5 days into it & so far I like it, as do the kitties. IMO it weighs less than the A&H. It is notably much less dusty. No perfumed smell that I can detect. It also scoops/clumps much better.
Yes - it's unscented... if you give them enough stuff to dig in - don't skimp on litter... it handles the smell quite well... unless it's a really damp day, like today. Pee-yew!

The perfumed stuff gives me a headache.. Blech!! Can't use it!! Citrus Magic isn't too bad - scented borax.. .but I DO NOT put it in the litter pans. I use in the garbage until I can take the bags to the bin in the garage.

cat_crazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

IIRC, someone here recently described WBCL as sickly sweet when it's untouched, but quickly it develops a nauseating nasty smell when it touches waste.

I agreed.
I don't think it smells sickly sweet. More like....burnt corn? Then after a couple days it smells like burnt corn with vomit mixed in.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a Tidy Cats Breeze litterbox, and it has zero dust. The only downside is with multiple cats you have to replace the pads a lot sooner than they suggest on the box (I have 7.)

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat_crazy

I don't think it smells sickly sweet. More like....burnt corn? Then after a couple days it smells like burnt corn with vomit mixed in.
lol - y'know what else is vile? Tidy Cats "Small Spaces" formula- smells like rotten cantalopes. no joke. sorry Tidy Cats! i am a big fan of Tidy Cats but not that specific formula. i think i'll email them and say it's their only formula that's the pits. they always appreciate customer comments.