Why does my cat chase me and smack and bite my ankles and feet when I try to leave?

kittygirl02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. My cat sometimes will chase me, bite, and swat at my ankles and feet when I try to leave the apartment. It seems like she only does this when I am in a hurry. Is she just wanting attention or is she suffering from separation anxiety or something? I know usually when she does this, I yell at her and tell her to stop but I don't do anything else except sometimes I will act like I am going to chase her and then she runs off. Most of the time she will just roll over on her side on the floor as if to say "Okay, I'm done." Anyone have any idea why she is doing this?

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you give her a good play session before you leave? If you get her good and tired out she may not react like that. Also, when you leave, turn on the TV or radio to help her not be lonely.

I do the "play chasing" with my girl too, but it might not be a good idea to do when you are about to leave. She could associate the chasing with your leaving.

For me, it's never easy to leave my girl, I just make sure that if I'm going to be gone for a while, I play with her beforehand, I talk to her (it might sound stupid) telling her that I will see her soon, and that she needs to be a good girl while I'm gone. Mine is an only child, so I don't discount the separation anxiety. Just make sure she has toys out to play with, and like I said, the TV or radio might help. And if she wants it, give her lots of attention when you get home.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's only when you are "in a rush", your cat can sense your excitement and she wants to join in. It's possible she thinks you are after "prey' or something similar. Please do not scold her. Next time, be calm. Play with her before you leave or distract her with a toy or a treat so she will accept that your "leaving" is a normal part of your life.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is trying to play with you- cats have great hunting instincts, and that type of play is typical of prey hunting play for a cat. You might want to get yourself a wand toy, such as Da Bird, and have a good 15min play session before you leave, to satisfy that need. Make sure you have enough things around the house to keep her entertained too- tunnels, shelves, window sills, maybe a toy like the turbo scratcher, and of course the ultimate toy... A playmate! I am curious- is this a young cat? This is typical of young cats...

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Danny does this too. It's his way of telling me that play/cuddle time isn't over yet. He never hurts me and I find it so cute, I always give hime a few extra minutes.

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When she gets fed in the morning, as Im going back and forth to get a can, get a fork, or move etc, she will swat at my ankles, or bite little play bites. I think she is just (at that time) telling me "move it dude, I'm hungry!". Other times if she does that, she is just playing, and I play with her. Now one of my others, Timmy will do that sometimes if I walk too close. But with him, he hisses, swats me, then runs away. He is doing it out of fear. Timmy is very timid and shy, and I obviously invaded his personal space and he let me know.

So it depends I would say on how your cat is doing it, playful or seemingly angry. I agree with the other posters that you shouldn't scold her. A little playful pat at her paws, and a nice quick neck rub should satisfy her if she just wants your attention before you go off to work. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittygirl02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sbw999

When she gets fed in the morning, as Im going back and forth to get a can, get a fork, or move etc, she will swat at my ankles, or bite little play bites. I think she is just (at that time) telling me "move it dude, I'm hungry!". Other times if she does that, she is just playing, and I play with her. Now one of my others, Timmy will do that sometimes if I walk too close. But with him, he hisses, swats me, then runs away. He is doing it out of fear. Timmy is very timid and shy, and I obviously invaded his personal space and he let me know.

So it depends I would say on how your cat is doing it, playful or seemingly angry. I agree with the other posters that you shouldn't scold her. A little playful pat at her paws, and a nice quick neck rub should satisfy her if she just wants your attention before you go off to work. Good luck!
She seems to be angry when she does it as she swats rather hard and bites rather hard as well. I mean, it doesn't really hurt that much at all but for her, she is using some force.

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyGirl02

She seems to be angry when she does it as she swats rather hard and bites rather hard as well. I mean, it doesn't really hurt that much at all but for her, she is using some force.
If you try to pet her right after she does it, does she play with you? Purr? If she is doing it out of anger, that's not good. An angry cat will usually hiss as well. Some cats have a more aggressive personality, and it is something that owners just have to try to adjust to. Hopefully thats not it, and she is just playing, albeit, somewhat roughly. Hang in there, she may just want some attention.

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she is just playing hard. They can get a bit carried away. Might be time for a companion. There are many that need homes.