Need a new dry food with no chicken

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Does anybody know a good quality dry food that is not made with chicken?

Cali has been throwing up a lot for the last month or so, both wet and dry food. So far all I've seen is undigested food, no hairballs or foreign matter. I've noticed that she seems to throw up the wet food only when it's chicken or turkey but keeps the beef down.

The main protein in the dry food I've been using is chicken/chicken meal. I tried switching to Solid Gold Katz-n-flocken which has lamb as the first ingredient, and that's seemed to help some. However, the second ingredient is still chicken meal. I'd like to try something with no chicken just to see if that's really the problem.

It would be nice to find something that everybody likes since it's difficult to separate them for feeding. There's no problem with the wet food since they all like beef better than poultry. They also seem to like the Katz-n-flocken better than the grain-free that I had been feeding, so I can stay with that if I can't find anything better.

Cali is still active and well hydrated, peeing and pooping normally, although she is looking a little slimmer than she did during the winter.

jordan s.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heres what I can think off the top of my head:

Felidae grain-free Salmon
Orijen 6 fish cat
EVO fish(this kinda pains me lol, P&G is probably bound to screw with the formulas :/)
Wellness complete health salmon
Before grain tuna

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Outside from the all fish lines, such as Origen 6-Fish (GREAT!!) EVO Salmon and Herring, there is Acana Grasslands - well liked by my troop, and great food too... These are the grain frees I've tried.

There is also Nature Variety P
rairie Lamb Meal & Oatmeal Medley.... this is what comes to mind now...

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When is she throwing it up? I am not sure if you considered this or not but if she is throwing up not too long after she has eaten and it is undigested, maybe she is eating too quickly?? I have had a lot of people approach me with the same issue and it can be solved by feeding on a plate, smaller amounts of food at a time, more frequently. Using a bowl they tend to gulp the food down quicker without chewing causing them to throw it up. Also feeding a larger kibble may help depending on the size of kibble you have now.

Again, this is just a thought, if you have already considered this and it isn't the problem I hope you find what helps her. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies. I hadn't even thought about trying a fish-based food. Merlin will eat anything, whether it's good for him or not, but I have five other cats who won't touch fishy stuff in the wet food. They just sniff at it and walk away. I don't know what they would do with fishy dry food. I might try some if I can get samples. I don't really want to buy a lot of food they won't eat.

Does anybody make a dry food that has beef as the primary protein? All of my cats like the beef wet food better than poultry.

Originally Posted by NutroLori

When is she throwing it up? I am not sure if you considered this or not but if she is throwing up not too long after she has eaten and it is undigested, maybe she is eating too quickly?? I have had a lot of people approach me with the same issue and it can be solved by feeding on a plate, smaller amounts of food at a time, more frequently. Using a bowl they tend to gulp the food down quicker without chewing causing them to throw it up. Also feeding a larger kibble may help depending on the size of kibble you have now.

Again, this is just a thought, if you have already considered this and it isn't the problem I hope you find what helps her. Good luck!
I have another cat, Shareena, who does that, but only with the dry food. Cali has been throwing up both, which is why I thought it might be something besides just eating too fast. Also, she's almost 2 years old and this is something new in the last few weeks. It's generally shortly after she eats. The food is still pretty much whole, not partially digested.

I'm trying not to make too many changes at once. I stopped feeding any turkey or chicken wet food for the last week, feeding only beef instead. Cali threw up the beef once at the beginning of the week and not since then. She's also thrown up the dry food just a couple of times, not two or three times a day the way she had been.

I had been feeding TOTW, which is fairly small round kibble. I've started mixing it with Katz-n-flocken, which has lamb as the first ingredient and is a slightly large X-shaped kibble. I think I'll try changing over to Katz-n-flocken entirely in the next week or two and see how that goes. Fortunately, all of the kitties are liking it even better than TOTW. They're also loving the beefy wet food. I'm afraid I may have a rebellion on my hands if I try to give them chicken again.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither Acana Grasslands and the Nature Variety Prairie Lamb Meal & Oatmeal Medley are fish based... Acana does have fish in it, like a lot of other foods, but it is not fish based...

kylew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Natural Balance makes 2 varieties of single protein dry food, Duck Green Pea and Salmon Green Pea. They actually make 3, but the third is Chicken & Green Pea

These formulas are specifically designed to deal with allergies.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to find dry foods with no chicken, and no fish makes it even harder! My vet had me put one of my cats on a food with no chicken, fish or grain and there are only a few foods I could find which fit the bill. One is the Natural Balance formulas already mentioned, another is Royal Canin limited ingredient and the final one I've found is Addiction Viva La Venison. Out of those the Addiction has the best ingredients list, but unfortunately they are getting a new distributor in my area so no one is carrying it here right now. He hated the Natural Balance duck so I am currently using Royal Canin rabbit formula.
There are more "dried" foods than kibbles with no chicken. Nature's Variety makes several freeze dried foods which have no fish/chicken, and Ziwipeak makes some that resemble jerky.

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nekochan, I just saw your post that your kitty is on Royal Canin's green pea and rabbut dry food, how does that work for him? My cat has allergies and we're trying to figure out if he hs a food allergy or inhaled. Our vet wanted us to try this food, could you please let me know how you're kitty is doing on it, or if anyone else has tried it please let me know. Thanks so much!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nature's Variety also makes a Rabbit dry.I thiiiiink it's the Instinct line.

And I was also going to suggest RC's Venison and Green pea.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nature's Variety's Instinct Rabbit dry cat food unfortunately contains chicken meal.

Originally Posted by MyCatPaulie

Nekochan, I just saw your post that your kitty is on Royal Canin's green pea and rabbut dry food, how does that work for him? My cat has allergies and we're trying to figure out if he hs a food allergy or inhaled. Our vet wanted us to try this food, could you please let me know how you're kitty is doing on it, or if anyone else has tried it please let me know. Thanks so much!
It took quite a while for his allergy symptoms to start improving, but he is doing MUCH better now, on the Royal Canin rabbit.

garybedwell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it just chicken meat that your cat cannot have, or is it eggs and chicken fat too? Some cats that are allergic to chicken are not allergic to eggs. Also, some food companies remove the protein (the part of food that causes allergies) from their chicken fat so cats with chicken allergies can still eat it. Natures Variety brand does this. I'm sure some others do too.

kathy smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why didn't you actually list all the ingredients in this cat food? Could it be that it has chicken meal-corn meal-corn gluten etc. Is it that you dont want any one to know about? My cat is allergic to chicken meal that's found in every dry cat food i've found. So now what can I do for her? She's still losing weight & has developed small scabs on her skin, however, she has not been loosing her fur thank goodness. So I don't know what else i can do for her. Why isn't there a dry cat food without all these by meal products in them? Even the brand blue has chicken meal in it. ! I'm frustrated !! Don't know what else I can do for her. Can anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please stop yelling. 

What is "this" food?

It sounds like you're implying someone here is conspiring to keep information from you or others, which is totally incorrect.

Last edited:

bentliy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blue Buffalo and Blue Buffalo Wilderness has Turkey, Salmon, and even a Duck formula. I avoid chicken, also, because it's the foul most likely to cause food allergies.

It is pricy, though. 

veronica8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has an allergy to chicken and I have tried the Royal Canin, my cat will not eat any of them, venison, duck or lamb.  I have also tried the Natural Balance Salmon and green pea but she will only tolerate that for a few days.   What I've had the most luck with is Earthborn canned food, she loves it and it keeps her allergies in check.  It's fairly expensive.  Earthborn does not make any dry cat food without chicken but they do make a dog food without any chicken in it.  I've tried to feed her that but the kibble is large and she doesn't care for it.

calicokit2013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have one 8 year old cat with allergies to any kind of chicken.  Right now she eats Taste of the Wild Canyon River Feline Formula with Trout & Smoked Salmon.  Two little ones also eat it with no problem.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Nature's Variety Instinct puts out limited ingredient diets in dry (rabbit, turkey and duck.) It seems to be very palatable. I've only had 2 cats turn it down and they will eat nothing but fish.

Also, Now Fresh is chicken-free and so is Orijen 6 fish.