Rabies/PureVax vs regular....

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a question about which rabies vaccine would be best for my cats.
My cats are due for a rabies inoculation.
We have always used the regular rabies kind.
I have called local vets offices to see if they use Purevax...
so do, some don't....
no help there.

I have read a lot of info about possible links to sarcoma from vax with added adjuncts.

I cannot figure out why some vets do not offer PureVax for the rabies inoculation.
I am beginning to think that PureVax storage and mixing is to much trouble for some vets....
but that is just a guess.

Do you have experience with PureVax?
How does your vet feel about it?

Any feedback that might help me decide what to do will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's something that should help you - excellent discussion of the subject.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...59&topic=12284

None of our cats ever had a reaction to the regular rabies vaccine. The vet metioned the PureVax is available. Both vet practices we work closely with offer it. They also are both of the opinion that the risk of sarcomas alone isn't high enough - but if cats have had reactions to the vaccine in the past, it's a good idea to use the PureVax. That said - neither of our vets is really up on the "natural cat" thing.

In the end, because our oldest are 8, we decided just to continue with the regular one. It's required only every three years (even though they go for annual check-ups, it gives us wiggle room) - and none of them have had a problem with it so far - and if a problem was going to develop because of it, they've already received three shots (the first year is just one year). So... I guess I'd say because of the age of our kitties, we didn't go with the PureVax.

If we'd have known we weren't just TNRing Charlie, because he's only two and probably never been vaccinated before, we probably would have used it on him - and may go that route with him in the future if we aren't able to adopt him out, because he's going to need more frequent vet visits anyway.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of vets do not use Purevax for one reason: Cost. Purevax is much more expensive than the regular vaccines.
In talking to my vet, the risk of sarcoma is also due a lot to how the vaccine is applied... Now, with that stated: The risk of reaction is much higher with regular vaccines. Bugsy always had Purevax vaccines, until this year, when he had regular for the first time, and he got a VERY BAD reaction, and when I say bad, I mean BAD.

He had 2 days of fever, 4-5 days limping, low appetite, and this after taking a steroid shot and another shot to counter interact the side-effects of the vaccine. I will never give him the regular vaccine again. It was scary - and mind you Bugsy is a 20lb cat... He got beat up!

With Purevax he is completely fine, no reactions at all, not a bit...

Lucky on the other hand was completely fine, so it greatly depends from cat to cat...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Here's something that should help you - excellent discussion of the subject.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...59&topic=12284

None of our cats ever had a reaction to the regular rabies vaccine. The vet metioned the PureVax is available. Both vet practices we work closely with offer it. They also are both of the opinion that the risk of sarcomas alone isn't high enough - but if cats have had reactions to the vaccine in the past, it's a good idea to use the PureVax. That said - neither of our vets is really up on the "natural cat" thing.

In the end, because our oldest are 8, we decided just to continue with the regular one. It's required only every three years (even though they go for annual check-ups, it gives us wiggle room) - and none of them have had a problem with it so far - and if a problem was going to develop because of it, they've already received three shots (the first year is just one year). So... I guess I'd say because of the age of our kitties, we didn't go with the PureVax.

If we'd have known we weren't just TNRing Charlie, because he's only two and probably never been vaccinated before, we probably would have used it on him - and may go that route with him in the future if we aren't able to adopt him out, because he's going to need more frequent vet visits anyway.
this is what both the conventional and mainly holistic vets told me... also both use the "safer"site for injection

Zoey had a reaction her booster... NOT to the rabies but a Very Very rare 3 in 1 reaction... She does not get that shot anymore just the rabies and only since she is a 90% indoor 10% outdoor girl

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PureVax annual rabies vaccine is the only rabies vaccine I will allow to be used in my cats.

PureVax rabies contains no adjuvant, which (adjuvant) is thought to possibly be the cause of VAS (vaccine associated sarcoma) Adjuvant is what makes the vaccine stay longer in the body.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After reading the info I found after a google search, the informative facebook page shared in this thread and your feedback, I can see that there in still no definitive answer.
No matter which vax is used, a cat might get an over stimulated immune response.

Both of my cats are indoor only...
I am going to make an apt. for Isis with a vet who offers Purevax and get his take on this. She is still under age 3 so she will need an FVRCP booster too. I think after that, she can safely move on to the 3 yr. protocol for the FVRCP.

Dexter will be 11 yrs this month. He has asthma. He had a rather strong rabies vax reaction as a kitten.
He has not had the rabies vax since.
He had an FVRCP booster last year in preparation for being home a new family member....Isis.

I am beginning to think that, at his age and previous response, his immune system might not react well to any rabies vax.

I do know one thing for sure...
it is always best when we address a complicated subject like vaccines with our vets, that we have the vocabulary necessary to, after their recommendations, make an informed decision.
The buck stops with us....
fierce kitty caregivers.

Thanks for your feedback,
we are in this learning process together.