l-lysine powder - how much?

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know there is a thread here about the powder. Can someone tell me how much you give each day on dry food? And if you put it in their water (a fountain) how much there? I have a Himmie who has a terrible time with one eye. I am constantly cleaning it and it gets all gooey and crusty to the point of him having a little bald spot on his face under the eye. I also think he seems to have a problem with drainage in his throat at times because I can hear him swallowing - that's just every now and then when it gets really bad and there seems to be a connection to the increased eye secretions and the swallowing thing. Please advise on the dosage of the supplement. Purrcy sends his thanks.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I give about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon daily. I have the powdered NOW brand. Before I used 500mg capsules and I'd split one capsule for two cats.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about in the water but a daily therapeutic dose is 500 mg. Maintenance dose is 500 mg every other day, or 250mg daily (I do 500 mg every other day)

I use Source Naturals Pure l-lysine powder. It dissolves very easily in water or wet food.

As mentioned above 500 mg = just under 1/4 teaspoon of pure powder.

Tolly was on it daily for 5 years before I dropped him to maintenance.

When adding it to dry food I just put a small amount of water in the dish, add about 1/2 tablespoon of kibble, then the pure l-lysine powder, and mix it around. Mazy is the only one who eats dry in my house, and she gobbles it right up. Especially if I squirt a fish oil capsule over it too.

Mazy (and Jennie too) only gets l-lysine if I think she needs an immune system booster (such as when Jennie had a kitty cold recently, or when I had H1N1) Tolly is the only kitty with the herpes virus.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just want to point out that the maintenance dose versus the flair up dose may vary based on your cat's weight. What has been posted is for an average sized cat. If you don't have an averaged sized cat, check with your vet for actual dosage amounts.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I just want to point out that the maintenance dose versus the flair up dose may vary based on your cat's weight. What has been posted is for an average sized cat. If you don't have an averaged sized cat, check with your vet for actual dosage amounts.
Also discuss all meds and supplements with your vet ( natural or otherwise)... Different manufacturers have different dosing also... READ the label on the one you have..I have two brands both Pure lysine... one is 1337 mg per teaspoon the other is 1000

IMHO and that is all it is , I do not trust water dosing .... mostly due to most cats only drinking 4 to 6 oz per day if feed a mainly dry diet ... so you would have to dose per oz of fountain and thus may waste alot...

Lysine itself has a slight flavor which most cats seem to like

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

IMHO and that is all it is , I do not trust water dosing .... mostly due to most cats only drinking 4 to 6 oz per day if feed a mainly dry diet ... so you would have to dose per oz of fountain and thus may waste alot...
That is true... It is not an exact science, it is an approximate, and you do waste some, which is why I get the NOW brand, that is very cheap - it has 522 doses of 500mg per tube.

I put 1/4tsp (500mg) per roughly 5.5 oz of water in my fountain, and that is how I fill it up. Even if my kitty drinks 2.5 oz (eating wet and dry), it would still be getting 250mg of Lysine... and it gets more it is no problem because the body rids itself from it through the urine. They are getting anywhere from 250-500mg a day, which is perfectly fine...

Now, because it is not an exact science, during flare up I double the dosage giving an Extra 500mg mixed into their wet food - yep, so they get in between 750 and 1g a day.

Anyways.... That is how I do it... It might not be the best way, but has worked wonderfully here in my house

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

That is true... It is not an exact science, it is an approximate, and you do waste some, which is why I get the NOW brand, that is very cheap - it has 522 doses of 500mg per tube.

I put 1tsp (500mg) per roughly 5.5 oz of water in my fountain, and that is how I fill it up. Even if my kitty drinks 2.5 oz (eating wet and dry), it would still be getting 250mg of Lysine... and it gets more it is no problem because the body rids itself from it through the urine. They are getting anywhere from 250-500mg a day, which is perfectly fine...

Now, because it is not an exact science, during flare up I double the dosage giving an Extra 500mg mixed into their wet food - yep, so they get in between 750 and 1g a day.

Anyways.... That is how I do it... It might not be the best way, but has worked wonderfully here in my house
That is a great explanation ...

Yes ODing on lysine is very hard..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I put 1tsp (500mg) per roughly 5.5 oz of water in my fountain, and that is how I fill it up. Even if my kitty drinks 2.5 oz (eating wet and dry), it would still be getting 250mg of Lysine... and it gets more it is no problem because the body rids itself from it through the urine. They are getting anywhere from 250-500mg a day, which is perfectly fine...

Carolina, in another post on another thread you said 1/4 tsp per 5.5 oz of water. Is that what you meant here? If you put 1 tsp per 5.5 oz in a Drinkwell Platinum fountain that would be 35 tsps!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furrypurry

Carolina, in another post on another thread you said 1/4 tsp per 5.5 oz of water. Is that what you meant here? If you put 1 tsp per 5.5 oz in a Drinkwell Platinum fountain that would be 35 tsps!
1/4 tsp per 5.5oz of water. 1/4 tsp has 500mg of L-Lysine. Sorry, that was a typo!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mix a maint. dosage of 1/4 tsp per cat into their dinnertime wet. No problemo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

1/4 tsp per 5.5oz of water. 1/4 tsp has 500mg of L-Lysine. Sorry, that was a typo!!
I thought so but since I know nothing about this subject just wanted to be sure! Thank you again for all your help.