Best arthritis supplements for cats

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine - very soft hearted - just rescued an older kitty with a lot of health problems, which include arthritis in the back legs and hips.

He has a hard time walking and getting in and out of the litter pan. Any recommendations on the best supplements to give him to help him with the pain and stiffness?

He has other issues too like a misplaced esophagus - old injury - that cannot be fixed and prevents him from breathing properly. But he is sweet as pie, tries to purr and gives head bumps!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Salmon oil and Cosequin for cats is what I use. I would also use a very low-sided litter pan (think cake pan sides) so that the kitty doesn't have to step over really high sides. Of course, the downside to this is that since the kitty has problems squatting, urine might end up where the friend doesn't want it.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Salmon oil and Cosequin for cats is what I use. I would also use a very low-sided litter pan (think cake pan sides) so that the kitty doesn't have to step over really high sides. Of course, the downside to this is that since the kitty has problems squatting, urine might end up where the friend doesn't want it.
. cosequin for cats especially, fish oil is good too.

Suggest he use a large tote with a door cut out (very low edge, for ease of access) The tote will contain all the waste, and kitty can use the sides to lean against for support. That's what I did for Ootay, she loved her special litter box, and did lean on the sides to help her hold position

Here is what Ootay had. I didn't keep the cover on, she didn't like it (nor did I) but it was on when I first made the thing and took the picture.

phillygal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've used Joint Care by Foster/Smith for my arthritic dogs in the past with great results. I've never used their feline version though, but I would expect it to be equally good.

Your friend is a gem!
The seniors are so wonderful. I would adopt one myself if I didn't think Buddy would just be too overwhelming!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've used Joint Care by Foster/Smith for my arthritic dogs in the past with great results. I've never used their feline version though, but I would expect it to be equally good.
I tried the feline version and my cat refused to even go near it!
It was a tablet, too, and I couldn't get her to eat it. The cosequin is a capsule you open up and sprinkle on food. I sprinkle it and mix it with my cat's wet food concoction and she gobbles it right up.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
www.trixsyn.com - one the stuff is proven to actually work not even cosequin can claim that ... and two multiple species and ages it worked on

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

www.trixsyn.com - one the stuff is proven to actually work not even cosequin can claim that ... and two multiple species and ages it worked on
I would say pretty much the same thing but my experience is with another brand... I use a 100% pure Hyaluronic Acid product instead... This particular brand is widely used for horses, but I take it myself (again it is 100% pure), and it is very very concentrated and really awesome stuff - both to take it but also to use it on your skin, etc...

This one you give 1ml to a horse, so just like 4-5 drops for a cat...

I was first recommended this for my mom, who has bad arthritis; Her dermatologist gave her the tip of using prior to her moisturizer as well. Super product!!

So, yeah, as Sharky said, Hyaluronic Acid, which is what is in both products, is really the way to go, IMO.

I like the Hyalun 30 best - the horse version as it is the most concentrated, and the most economical one... I like that as I can take it too, and I can use it as a moisturizer
Hey, Girl is gotta do what girl is gotta do, right?

They also have a Pet version, that should last 60 days for a cat 30 days for a dog, depending on the size, called Hyaflex - Same thing, just diluted to the proper dosage.

Here is the site