Dew Claws

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom adopted a cat, that has dew claws on her back feet. What causes this? I've never seen a cat that has dew claws, only dogs.
Thanks all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, nothing extra on the front.
Its not really and extra toe. Its just like hanging up like the "thumb" on the front part. You know how some dogs have dew claws on their back feet? Like that.

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, is that the same thing as polydactyl?

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
By definition, if the cat has extra digits (like dew claws on the back) that is Polydactyly. My cat Manytoes has dew claws on the back too, and one of them has 2 separate perfect claws coming out of it....its particularly unusual to have only the rear paws affected
congrats on your rare kitty!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can your mother's kitty retract the claws on those extra toes? Usually back claws don't retract in as much as front ones anyways, so if there's a chance the extra ones could get caught on anything make sure she trims them.

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup, you have a polydactyl kitty on your hands! Yay! My cat Storm has extra digits. She has a dew claw on all four legs and two extra digits on top of the dew claw on her front paws, so eight extra toes in all.

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

By definition, if the cat has extra digits (like dew claws on the back) that is Polydactyly. My cat Manytoes has dew claws on the back too, and one of them has 2 separate perfect claws coming out of it....its particularly unusual to have only the rear paws affected
congrats on your rare kitty!
Thanks! I thought polydactyl ment they actually had extra toes on the front.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

Can your mother's kitty retract the claws on those extra toes? Usually back claws don't retract in as much as front ones anyways, so if there's a chance the extra ones could get caught on anything make sure she trims them.
No, she can't retract them. She has the marking of a Seal Point Siamese, with the blue eyes, but her haircoat is a little longer than what a Siamese would be. I'll let her know to clip her claws.

railNtrailcwgrl;2886972 said:
Yup, you have a polydactyl kitty on your hands! Yay! My cat Storm has extra digits. She has a dew claw on all four legs and two extra digits on top of the dew claw on her front paws, so eight extra toes in all.[/QUOTE Thats alot of extra toes!

maureenmusiclov

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has exactly the same - dewclaws only on her back legs - it astonishes the vets each time I visit.