Withdrawn cat - advice please?

robertandrews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
Our Katie, a 1-year-old black cat, is a lovely little thing.
For the last year that we've had her, she's been up on my girlfriend's lap on the sofa most evenings; though, recently, with the better weather, we've let her out a lot more.

But Katie got a stomach virus a few weeks back, meaning we had to give her medication. My girlfriend had to administer a tablet orally every night for nearly a week. Since then, Katie has been less inclined to be in that room, more inclined to be outside and, most concerningly, fearful of being touched by my girlfriend; she now shies away from her.

Does anyone have any tips for restoring things to how they were, making Katie more inclined to trust my girlfriend and I again, that we're not going to ram things down her throat all the time?

Thanks.

salsero71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear Katie wasn't well. As for getting her to trust you both again, I think (from my experience with a very shy/untrusting cat), that it will be a combination of time and bribery.

When I first had to capture Shadow and bring her to the vet, on our return she legged it outdoors and sulked for half the day. Nowadays (2 years on) when we return from the vet, she'll run out of her carrier, but will accept being petted a few minutes later.

She's still wary if I close kitchen doors and look like I mean business, and I spend a good 5-10 minutes chasing her around the kitchen until she finally gives in to being nabbed. But her recovery time after I have to administer anything is deffo reducing.

I always give her treats afterward, for being a good kittie! Also I never try nab her in other rooms or her "safe space" (my bedroom) so she knows she can totally relax and be safe with me in there.

I'd suggest getting down on the floor (her level) and tempting her over with her fave food on your finger. Also, I noticed that by allowing Shadow to initiate most of the contact, in the beginning, and especially directly after i've 'pounced' on her for flea treatments/vet visits, she had the space & time she needed to come round, more than if I followed her around trying to win her back.

As an aside, I wonder if grinding up the tablets and mixing with a small bit of her food would work in future - it'd sure be less stressful for you and your GF?!

Best of luck with Katie!

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by salsero71

Sorry to hear Katie wasn't well. As for getting her to trust you both again, I think (from my experience with a very shy/untrusting cat), that it will be a combination of time and bribery.

When I first had to capture Shadow and bring her to the vet, on our return she legged it outdoors and sulked for half the day. Nowadays (2 years on) when we return from the vet, she'll run out of her carrier, but will accept being petted a few minutes later.

She's still wary if I close kitchen doors and look like I mean business, and I spend a good 5-10 minutes chasing her around the kitchen until she finally gives in to being nabbed. But her recovery time after I have to administer anything is deffo reducing.

I always give her treats afterward, for being a good kittie! Also I never try nab her in other rooms or her "safe space" (my bedroom) so she knows she can totally relax and be safe with me in there.

I'd suggest getting down on the floor (her level) and tempting her over with her fave food on your finger. Also, I noticed that by allowing Shadow to initiate most of the contact, in the beginning, and especially directly after i've 'pounced' on her for flea treatments/vet visits, she had the space & time she needed to come round, more than if I followed her around trying to win her back.

As an aside, I wonder if grinding up the tablets and mixing with a small bit of her food would work in future - it'd sure be less stressful for you and your GF?!

Best of luck with Katie!
With my Chester after a good brushing he avoids me for a good hour or two. After I brush him I always give him a treat in his food dish and I just leave him alone. He comes to me when he is ready for attention. As for future medications(pill form) Katie may need did you ever try Greenies Pill Pockets? I have used them myself and a shelter in my area uses them on the cats they have. It could make it more pleasant for you both of you. Giving a few as a treat first then giving on with the meds in it.

Just be patient with Katie and I am sure she will come around. Good Luck!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It just takes time. I think a treat is a great idea for your girlfriend to give her a pet and treat every night if she will allow that. If not, just ignore her. I'm sure she will come around eventually. Good luck!