My cat and her heater...

ellen557

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone
My two year old cat is obsessed with our little electric heaters! It's winter now, so we have one (we have two) on for at least 4 hours daily and she spends the whole time just sleeping right in front of whichever one is on (maybe like, 30 cms in front!). She is always supervised when directly in front of whichever one it is, as they're quite small, but my question is is that alright for her? I don't know if I'm over-reacting but just wanting to make sure that there's nothing wrong with being in front of a heater for that amount of time without a break. Honestly the only break she might have is if we switch the bedroom one off and then switch on the loungeroom one and she'll just move there and plonk herself down.

She hasn't changed her habits at all but I just want to make sure

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are comfort creatures. They will seek out the warmest part of the house. Even when its 85 degrees here, they will be laying in the sun. Go figure!

In the winter we heat with a wood stove. The kitties all lay around it all day long, getting up only to adjust their position, use the box or get a bite to eat.

As long as your kitty is in good health, she is just being a cat.

Actually, I have laid there too, and it feels really nice!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just watch her closely, as you said you are doing, never leave her alone with one.

I used to have one of those little electric space heaters and Baby (rb 1//98) always wanted to sleep in front of it, but he would get too close. One time when he was sleeping there he started making this funny meow, like he was in pain, and I went over to check him and his ear was getting burned.

It wasn't on fire, but he was so close it did get a slight burn on it. After that I wouldn't let him sleep so close.

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats LOVE heaters. Or anything warm. My cats over the years have loved sleeping in sunbeams, and on top of cars on a warm day {the metal is warm}. They just love the warm spots and if it gets too hot for them they will move out of it. So you shouldn't worry she'll lay there and roast herself, unless the heater itself presents any unsafe conditions in and of itself. All space heaters pose some level of risk so should always be watched.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by merrytreecats

Cats LOVE heaters. Or anything warm. My cats over the years have loved sleeping in sunbeams, and on top of cars on a warm day {the metal is warm}. They just love the warm spots and if it gets too hot for them they will move out of it. So you shouldn't worry she'll lay there and roast herself, unless the heater itself presents any unsafe conditions in and of itself. All space heaters pose some level of risk so should always be watched.
Not always. Cats have thick fur and can be getting burned without knowing it at first.