5 week old kitten- diarrhea

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just brought in a 5 week old feral kitten two days ago. She went to the right right after I got her and was de-wormed and FeLV tested. Shes on wet food right now (she wont eat dry).
Whats concerning me is that she just had a bout of liquid diarrhea. I called the vet right away, and they said not to concern myself with just one bout, but if it keeps happening, to bring her to the vet tonight. the poo is very very stinky.
Shes still active, and eating fine. Should I be concerned?? What could cause this??

Any insight? Its been years since I've taken in a tiny kitten.

Oh, and she is very skinny. Vet said shes 5 weeks, but the size of a 3 week old kitten.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible her little body is just not used to the food.

Canned food is better for her, don't worry about feeding her dry. You might get some KMR (kitten milk replacement) to add to the wet food, to be sure she is getting all the nutrients she needs to grow and prosper.

Of course it could be parasites, too. If she has another bout of it, by all means bring her right in to the vet. Dehydration is a serious danger.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most definitely keep an eye on her as dehydration in a young cat can make things head south very fast. It could be that the wet kitten food is a bit too rich for her tummy and that could be causing the problem. Has she had normal bowel movements since she's been on this food? Also, it wouldn't be unusual for her to have another round of parasites, even if she's been dewormed previously.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
she has had a few normal bowel movements since I got her and she was dewormed two days ago.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gothicangel69

she has had a few normal bowel movements since I got her and she was dewormed two days ago.
Parasitic worms (esp. coccidia) are probably the most common cause of REALLY pungent feces
in kitties and you were right to have this checked. No vomiting, though, or blood in the stools ?

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No blood or mucus, just really watery, brown, stinky stool.
We knew she had worms since her belly was extremely bloated when we took her in.

So the de-wormer could be causing the diarrhea?? IF this is the case, how long will it last?

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

No blood or mucus, just really watery, brown, stinky stool.
We knew she had worms since her belly was extremely bloated when we took her in.

So the de-wormer could be causing the diarrhea?? IF this is the case, how long will it last?
I think it could be as all medications have potential side effects. And diarrhea along with drowsiness are pretty common ones in kittens. What deworming product are you using ?

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The dewormer is Milbemax. The vet gave it to her when she was there on thursday.

She just had some more diarrhea a few minutes ago. Shes still active though, no lethargy.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

The dewormer is Milbemax. The vet gave it to her when she was there on thursday.

She just had some more diarrhea a few minutes ago. Shes still active though, no lethargy.
Call the vet. This probably isn't what it is, but I've heard too many stories of the incorrect dose and instructions given for Milbemax.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She just had some more, but its not as liquidy. I'll just have to keep checking on her throughout the night and see if I can get ahold of the vet tommorrow if shes not better.

Hopefully its just all the worms comming out, and she'll feel better soon. Her belly doesn't look as bloated anymore, so I guess thats a good sign.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a good sign! The other way the worms pass is by throwing up. I think I'd rather deal with the poop than the barf.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be sure she is eating enough canned food and/or KMR to keep from getting dehydrated. Little babies like that can go downhill fast.

I'm sure you are doing a great job caring for her. Be sure to let us know how she's doing and what the vet says tomorrow.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, if the vet didn't already mention it, make sure you thoroughly disinfect all of the litter boxes with bleach and refill with fresh clean litter. This will get rid of any live worms and eggs "hiding" in the box that can continually reinfect the kitty while you're trying to kill the worms.

Good luck to you both !

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, shes been having diarrhea through last night. Its become watery again and now looks like it has a little mucus in it.
Shes still active, but is slightly dehydrated. I tried giving her some wet food, but she doesn't want it, when usually she is right at the dish.

Is there anything I can do for her until tomorrow, or should I take her in today??The vet bill for today will probably be around 1000, which I dont really have the money for, but I'll do it if I have to.

What should I do???

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can manage it, get her seen today. Kittens fade very fast., I know that's a terribly lot of money.

Perhaps try some bottle feeding with KMR to keep her hydrated??

As a last resort you can take her in, say you "just found her" and release her to the ER place. I know someone who did that when they wanted to save a tiny kitten but couldn't afford the ER. The problem with that is, they will not release any info after you do it.

All paws crossed for the tiny baby, keep us posted.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I took her to the Emergency Vet, and I'm impressed, the bill was very cheap. They didn't do any tests or anything, but gave me some anti-diarrhea meds, and her some sub-Q fluids. The vet said she has a slight temperature as well.
They told me to fast her until tonight, and afterwards, feed her a teaspoon of food every 2 hours or so for the next few days.
They also suggested getting a fecal into my vet tomorrow.

She's still having bad diarrhea, but at least with the sub-qs I dont have to worry about her getting dehydrated today, which was my main issue.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I took her to the Emergency Vet, and I'm impressed, the bill was very cheap. They didn't do any tests or anything, but gave me some anti-diarrhea meds, and her some sub-Q fluids. The vet said she has a slight temperature as well.
They told me to fast her until tonight, and afterwards, feed her a teaspoon of food every 2 hours or so for the next few days.
They also suggested getting a fecal into my vet tomorrow.

She's still having bad diarrhea, but at least with the sub-qs I dont have to worry about her getting dehydrated today, which was my main issue.
Well done! thanks for the update, so glad the little baby got her fluids.

Does she have a name?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad you're being proactive and glad you got some real help for your baby. Keep us posted!