Do Animals go to Heaven?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just received my issue of Guideposts. It is that Christian magazine with inspirational articles.

There is an article about whether animals go to Heaven. It is not very long and is really an excerpt from a book the author wrote called "The Divine Life of Animals" by Ptolemy Tompkins.

I was thinking of all the pain in this forum and just wanted to perhaps shine some comforting lite on all our sadness. There is more information at their website.

The article made me feel somewhat hopefull.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really do too. If I couldn't count on it, what is the point?

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have more of a right to go to Heaven than people do!!!!! I just hope I am worthy enough to join them when I leave this world!!! Believing they are all there waiting for me makes death a little less scary.

horseygal90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course they do...

There's a phrase bandied around on the horse forum I frequent... "If there are no horses in heaven, then I don't want to go!" I'm not at all religious but I couldn't agree with the statement more. No animals in heaven? I'm not going then!

okie89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I truly believe so. I've had a debate with my Sunday School teacher about this topic before, and everything I've read and studied suggest they do.
I honestly believe that our babies will be with us in Heaven....

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have absolutely no doubt that they will be with us in Heaven. God provides for our happiness in Heaven. If our happiness is contingent upon our pets being with us throughout eternity, then He will provide that for us.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Logic tells me, if animals could go to heaven that would mean so would all the worms and the parasites such as fleas and mosquitos...It would be one crowded place up there, considering how these things breed and for how long they've been around..
But if you want to look at in a more idealistic way, I know in many countries they believe that when a newborn baby or infant dies, it becomes an angel. I think with animals, it's the same, they become angels. It's because both animals and newborns are completely innocent.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Logic tells me, if animals could go to heaven that would mean so would all the worms and the parasites such as fleas and mosquitos...It would be one crowded place up there, considering how these things breed and for how long they've been around..
Maybe there are separate heavens for things that would never want to be around each other, and want different things anyway...like maybe tapeworms go to the Great Intestine in the Skies.

I read a fantasy book a couple weeks ago with cat characters; in it, cats get reborn through nine lives, and when their ninth life is over, if they did enough that was good during their nine lives, they get a "tenth life" where they spend the rest of eternity as kind of a cat angel.

My take on it is...I've met a lot of humans, and I've met a lot of cats, and I've met cats that showed more evidence of having a soul (such as individuality and kindness) that some humans, so I figure that the feline species has at least as good a claim to some kind of afterlife as the human species.

Also, I've never known a cat to cause harm to any other creature except based on feeding, fear, or...mating; cats just don't run around being jerks for the hell of it (someone's going to mention playing with mice if I don't; even when they don't eat the mouse, it's still a hunting instinct that has to be hard-wired into them or their species would starve to death). I gather from this that cats would not go to a punishment-oriented afterlife.

Maybe a series of reincarnations makes sense but this world won't be here to reincarnate onto forever, and we don't know if there's another with any life at all let alone intelligent life, and even if there is, surely going in circles over and over would be interesting for some finite amount of time. So I gather that there is another option, a pleasant afterlife; we cannot know very much about it, of course, but "Heaven" is as good a name as any.

I may be wrong, but this is what makes sense to me.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a very controversial subject. Some believe animals don't have a soul and because they don't, they can't accept Jesus as their savior and go to Heaven. There is Bible scripture that does say the way to Heaven is through Jesus. The Bible also talks about animals being in heaven. We don't know if they are animals who have lived on earth. I like to think maybe they will be there because it comforts me to think I will see them again. But if not, the Bible in the book of Revelations tells about Heaven. It is going to be a wonderful place where there is no crying, sickness etc. So I know I will be happy there even if my cats are somewhere else.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes

Maybe there are separate heavens for things that would never want to be around each other, and want different things anyway...like maybe tapeworms go to the Great Intestine in the Skies.
Great Intestine in the Skies

meowcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Church categorically tell me that Animals have no place in Heaven, because they were not "saved" by Lord Jesus, only Mankind were. I have a bit of a hard time accepting this. But they are good people, and I would still be a homeless drinker if it wasn't for them. So I just hope they are wrong. (only about this issue though)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MeowCat

My Church categorically tell me that Animals have no place in Heaven, because they were not "saved" by Lord Jesus, only Mankind were. I have a bit of a hard time accepting this. But they are good people, and I would still be a homeless drinker if it wasn't for them. So I just hope they are wrong. (only about this issue though)
God speaks "every man unto to his own heart", and the Bible, the living word, says "All creation groans in agony awaiting the return of the Children of God", so if what your heart is telling you is that animals do have a place in Heaven, then that is the truth that God wants you to believe. And don't forget that Jesus Himself said that he would be separating the goats from the sheep, and those who are so sure they're going to Heaven won't be, because "in as much as you did not do for the least of these, my brethren, you did not do for me". So, it sounds like you are right, and they (your congregation) are safe, and you are a living testimonial of His Wonderful Love. I am glad that you posted about yourself - I find it very encouraging. Thank You

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh I realize this is an old post, but I came across it and had to comment.

When we think of heaven, in the words of Randy Alcorn (Christian writer and pastor) "It is going to be the most glorious place we have ever seen and our human mind which is finite, can't fathom the glorious splendor"

This brings us to the topic of animals. Randy's Book "heaven" has a whole chapter on the presence of animals in heaven. The Bible clearly mentions that there will be animals in Heaven. Here are some verses:

(Romans 8:21-22 KJV)
"Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now."

"the creature itself" can be anything from humans to animals.

Psalm 145:-9-10,13,15-21 AMP
Though all creatures are subject to man's cruelty, God loves all His creation and has made plans for all His children and the lesser creatures to enjoy His eternal Kingdom.

Animals would definately be considered the "lesser creatures"

and Finally:

Romans 8:19 (KJV)
The lesser creatures await Christ's return to redeem the sons of God so they, too, will be released from physical death to eternal life.

They too are waiting with the rest of creation to be delivered from physical death.

While this does not specifically mention pets, our heavenly father knows what will make his children happy (This according to the word of God his children are the ones who have accepted him), and so I truly in my heart believe that one of two things will be regarding your pets in heaven.

# 1- They will be there and be your companion for all eternity

or

# 2- They won't be. However he also tells us in Revelation 21:4 - He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

So if they aren't there in heaven, that's OK. We won't need them as we will continually be in the presence of God and loved ones and friends. We will know everyone and also be fully known (1 Corinthians 13:12)

The following are 4 excellent books - one on heaven in general by a very well respected author, and the other about paws on the golden streets. The reality is, the Bible is silent- and it is left up to mans interpretation of "lesser creatures". "Paws on the golden streets" specifically deals with pets and animals in heaven. The other 3 are just amazing in and of themselves on heaven.

Paws on the Golden Streets by Caid:
Heaven: By Randy Alcornhttp://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Randy-Alcorn/dp/0842379428/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321505100&sr=1-1

Heaven is for Real

90 Minutes in Heaven

:D

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My analysis, about IF animals do have a  soul and are going to Heaven, OR not,  

is:

1. Most church men tells animals dont have souls.

These church men may be kind and dont argue with the griewing owner, but this IS their belief. They dont have souls and wont proceed to Heaven.  Besides, Jesus talked mostly about humans, and was Savior saving humans.  So they His followers, they too talk about just humans.

About animals they dont know anything.

2. Most animal owners can witness their dear animals, cats, dogs, horses, surely does has a soul. And are sure they deserve to come into Heaven.

3. There is that big proverb "Love overcomes everything".

Thus, it is my belief  Love is the "trick", the Key,

An animal, perhaps from beginning without soul, does gets his hers soul, gets the soul - or  the soul gets awaked, by receiving or giving Love.

It may be long term ownership and the love to each other. It may be a rescuer trying to help a newborn homeless kitten. The kitten perhaps passes away without even awakening... But its thereby awakened immortal soul knows it got love and help.

And thus, both sides does have right.

Churchmen and animal owners and rescuers.

So long this is the easy part into which I think most will agree.

Now comes the harder part of the necessary analysis:

How about love given or taken between animals? Without any human as part of it.  Does it too awakens the soul??

We had surely all seen the you-tube films about the ferale dog on this highway, trying to protect and save their pal  wounded or killed by a car...   I think there were even a couple of different cases like this.  That dog had surely a soul.

We know some cat mating is more or less a rape.  But we all know they are not seldom real love affairs. :)     Most are somewhere in between.  And they usually get friends, even affecionate at least afterwards.  :)

How is about the love between a cat mom and her kittens??  Almost any animal / mammal mom and her children?

Most  mammals are loved by at least their mom. And or has been loved by some other animal.

It MAY be so, most mammals do have a soul, if my analysis is correct...

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't need to be hopeful, IMO, animals are more pure than we are and deserve a space in heaven before we do
I also truly believe our beloved pets are in heaven, waiting for us at the bridge, so we can make the rest of the journey together. :9: I also think that animals are also so true to their heart and so pure that there would not be a God if animals were not allowed in heaven. They are more deserving than most people.