Does your cat type on your keyboard?

schedulingcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am curious about your experiences are with cats and keyboards. Do they type something that can be read? Please post it here if you remember it!

If you have several cats, is it always the same cat typing, or do they all do it?

I have written my honest view on cats & keyboards on my blog.

Let the cat-typing begin!

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OOOh I will have to ask my mum, her cat Claudia gets on her keyboard every night, I will ask her tonight if she types anything in particular, all I can hear from my end is the computer making noises like when you have pressed lots of buttons
x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

schedulingcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cool, I look forward to your mom's cat writing. ;-)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If one is using windows there's a few programs that will recognize cat typing and prevent it. I have no idea if there's anything on linux or mac for that - but I've had one of my kittens nearly log me out of my session and another time hit a function key. If I make the mistake of leaving open the desktop with my media player on it they'll often unpause it.

Years ago I would (and still do) leave a couple different chat clients open, one sitting on a room with just a few friends in it. One of my online friends, who ironically is Swedish, grew up with cats so he recognized when mine were on my keyboard. Once one of them typed "polo" and he replied "Why yes, polo is a very distinguished sport for a cat".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

schedulingcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

If one is using windows there's a few programs that will recognize cat typing and prevent it.
Ya, PawSense can detect if a cat is typing. But it's more exciting if they do. =)

Polo, so now we know what they would like to watch on TV...

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Daisy walks on my keyboard or just plops herself down on it. She also sits on the television remote and changes channels. Maybe she doesn't like watching Project Runway?

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holland used to... but after two separate incidents, she is not allowed on my keyboard anymore.
The first was when she did SOMETHING (still have no idea what) that made my keyboard shortcuts all wacky, thankfully re-booting the computer fixed whatever she had done. The second being the time she ripped off my "r" key:

When she did manage to actually type something and not ruin something, it was always nonsense...
If I remember correctly she liked x's and z's. And apparently NOT r's!!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my kitties loves to chase the cursor and everytime she does it, she steps on the on/off button and turns off the computer.
Now I keep usually some make up bottle on top of the button so the kitty can't step on it.
I have the button '6' missing from the keyboard..

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ari doesn't type as much as press key combinations that only OS programmers would need or use.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of them have taken a turn at the keyboard, but no literary masterpieces have resulted.

at129

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bunnelina

And here's his email to the Boston Public Library.
I just CRIED laughing at the email to the library. The whole idea is funny, but what really set me off was that the "message" begins with "Weeeeee"...

Obviously, someone was having fun with the keyboard. Based upon the intro, I'm guessing that your translation would be "Weeeee, this is fun! This thing makes clicky noises when I dance on it!"

----

For her part, Sophie often likes to "contribute" to my TCS messages. I'm a total computer nerd, I'm always online, and she likes to lie on the desk between the keyboard and the monitor base. Occasionally, if she decides she wants an ear scratch, she'll put her little elbows on the F1, F2, etc, keys, and then stretch her paws out towards me, mashing keys along the whole length of her "arms." Mostly this just results in windows opening and closing rapidly, followed by that awful system beep, but occasionally she'll come up with an actual message.

Recently I was typing a reply in a TCS thread, and Sophie typed something to the effect of "bnnnnnnny" into the message. Since one of her nicknames is Bunny, I came to the conclusion that she feels that when I'm writing about her, it's only right that she sign her name.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are huge IM users, I had to remove all the hotkeys because they would open programs too. Quincy is trying to help me type now
They do seem to have a preference for the letters f k l
They also like to make phone calls

newkittymom06

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oscar gets on my finances keyboard he(oscar) types alot. Lots of ?'s sometimes ^ just alot of everything. He(Oscar) also loves to follow the mouse when he is playing computer games. He(Oscar) LOVES watching him play EVE online. It is cute to watch oscar head move really fast to follow.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, she does type. No, it doesn't make sense to me.

kylew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They haven't started typing yet, but they are excellent proof readers

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bella walks across my keyboard only when I'm using it. She has no interest in my computer any other time. She typed the word "pee" once and I thought it was better to type it rather than do it