Hartz UltraGuard

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tried this product for the first time yesterday. Have used Advantage in the past. Well, today her fur is still oily and has hardened where the drops were applied, like spikey hair
When will this go away!? With advantage, the fur looked normal the next day. It says not the bathe within 24hrs. But after this i can use bath wipes/bathe right?
I atleast hope the product works

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wash it off, now! Right away! That stuff is known to KILL cats, I do not exaggerate.

Get that stuff off your cat and never use it again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will! and throw away the product!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
to your kitty that she will be okay, watch her closely. Maybe even give your vet a call and let him/her know.

I made the mistake of visiting the link, after positing it for you, I do every now and then, and the horror stories break my heart.

dave_ph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used Hartz when my kitty first wandered in. It burnt her skin. I knew it was bad right away and when I got her to a vet the first thing the vet said was that that product can kill your cat.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I'd never use ANY kind of Hartz products - most of them either don't work or are toxic. I'd wash it all off now and get a better product to use.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by silva_unt

Tried this product for the first time yesterday. Have used Advantage in the past. Well, today her fur is still oily and has hardened where the drops were applied, like spikey hair
When will this go away!? With advantage, the fur looked normal the next day. It says not the bathe within 24hrs. But after this i can use bath wipes/bathe right?
I atleast hope the product works
Please make a call to your vet... as mentioned this company does not have a good safety track record

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so i left school as soon as i posted. Got home and gave her a bath. She's grooming her self right now. It was so hard giving her bath by myself, usually boyfreind is there to hold her while i bathe her. Anyhow, its done and i've looked over her skin where the drops were put and its not red/burned so thats good. I honestly thought, before i posted this thread, that she didn't look so happy. She's usually bouncing off the walls in the morning. This morning she was just laying near me. She did have a good appetite this morning and ate most her food. She also jumped on the sink counter this morning to get a drink from the faucet.
I don't have a current vet, but there is the one i took her to when i first got her. They perscribed advantage multi to get rid of the tapeworms she already had! Thought that was weird and wanted to find another vet; plus they only take appts. Her yr exam isn't until june so thats when i was taking her to a new vet. Thank god that nothing has happened over the months that required vet care... until now, but i pray she will be okay.
I will keep an eye on her but have to be at work by 430, i'll be back home by 10. Boyfriend will also be at work during this time.
The topic on Hartz=BAD should be make a sticky so for those unaware will know not to buy!!
Thanks again Otto for responding so quickly!

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just called the vet and they told me to call animal poison control. Wish this vet office was a little more helpful. Anyway they also said eating and drinking are good signs, which neko is. About how many days until i know i'm in the clear?
I'll keep you posted.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call around to different vets in the area for someone who's a bit more helpful! Denton's not a huge city, but it's by no means a 1-vet town. (I went to TWU, so I know the area, but didn't have animals at the time so no vet reference.) You may even try calling a rescue group in the area and ask who they use.

Do you have the number for animal poison control? Here it is just in case you need it. You might give them a call and find out what to look for. I know that sometimes advise they give you have to pay for, so just a head's up on that.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/

ETA: You might try inboxing MrBlanche and see if he has a vet reference in Denton. I think he's in Lewisville.

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I did find a holistic vet in Carrolton with great reviews, so i may start there for the future.
Thank you for the link/number. I gave animal poison control a call, they didn't charge me
, and they said that its SAFE! WHat? anyhow He said if need, i should wash it off with dishwashing soap. I already gave her a bath with cat shampoo though. He also said that the product is only life threatening to cats when you apply dog flea drops on the cat, which will cause seizure and death. But I will take the forum's word on the situation along with the link otto provided that shows that cats have died/become ill from the product. He said cats dont like the feel of the product thats why she isn't very active...
Anyway, the product is in the trash!! I can continue with Advantage right? next month of course...
btw, neko just ate some more kibble

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sadly, it is not safe.
Push...push fluids especially if she is grooming herself- overgrooming is common, so is lethargy. Some of the problems might appear later affecting the kidneys. Best bet with flea products get them directly from your vet. This way you are covered if something goes wrong. Switch from advantage to frontline each month as the fleas build a resistance if you just keep using the same product over and over.

Hope your kitty will be okay-

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
THank you!!
Grooming mainly from bath, she has stopped now
Getting the hartz product off her with the bath has def helped. She wanted to play fetch!! Which we did for a little, Don't want her to get too tired. She did drink some water too couple min ago.
Switch advantage and frontline monthly, got it!
Thanks again everyone!

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to leave an update. Neko is doing great! Eating and drinking well! And still begging me to play fetch with her. Just last night she was jumping in and out of the empty box my 10g aquarium was in

She also woke me up before my alarm clock like usual, which didn't happen yesterday morning.
Such a scare... so relieved!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such a relief .... glad she is doing well....

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good news, thanks for updating us!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you narrowly avoided disaster. You may still want to talk to your vet in the future as she may need to be checked to make sure there's nothing lasting.

In the future, try the search function on here or post before using anything that you don't get from a vet (or just about any other product). You'll find information as to whether it's good, bad, or a waste of money.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad she's doing okay.

Just an FYI regarding a vet, MrBlanche is in Lewisville and I think Carolinalima is in Carrollton. I'm sure either one would help you with a vet referral. When I posted earlier, I didn't realize you were in Lewisville. Sorry about that.